Cooosa 03/18, 03/20 & Little River 03/19 whites

Fishing the Coosa 2 days with pretty much dismal results. The bite is way off even the males didn't cooperate. Friday 03/18 we launched out of the Lock and Dam. Fished the sand bar in the middle with no luck then floated down fishing lay downs and sandy banks with nothing. We fished a few creek mouths with nothing either. It wasn't until maybe 11 AM when we picked up our fist white from a creek mouth with cleaner water flowing in. We motored up and down the Coosa fishing creek mouths that had clear/stained water flowing in. Doing that allowed us to end the day with maybe 13 whites. They were biting Rapala Shadrap SR5 in firetiger color. Mostly males and 3-4 females. Water temps when we launched was 58 and ended the day at 61 degrees. The Coosa was a mud river I don't know from where because the lower Etowah was crystal clear when driving over.

Saturday 03/19 we discovered some onboard charger and battery issues so I dropped a pretty penny replacing an 8 year old on board charger and 3 batteries that were 5 years old. Was 5 PM when we got done fixing the boat so decided to just go fish the Little River on Allatoona from shore. That proved to be a good call we ended up catching over 20+ whites in a 3 hours time frame. Minnows under a bobber and rooster tails were the ticket.

Sunday 03/20 we decided to try the Coosa again but this time launching out of Brushy Branch. It was a cold morning and chilly all day. I had my hopes for Brushy since previous years we've not been denied a good tugging. Well it was pretty much the same results as Friday. Nothing much to show for. The bite was far and few. Same males hardly any females. Ended the day with maybe 15 only. Most were caught on rooster tail or crankbaits. Again the bite came from ceek mouths in the Coosa.

I'll wait until April before I make another trip for these whites. Doesn't look like the full run is there yet. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:

StriperrHunterr

I find that when the water's stained like that, working the edge like you did can really pay off. They seem to like waiting in the murk for the bait to come into it and ambush them.

Rooster tails with silver blades and grubs on 1/8 oz heads always did real well for me in those times.

Parallel the stain line and work it in and out with your rod tip in the retrieve and you should pick some up.

triseven

Had a similarly slow morning on the Little River on Saturday. Picked up six (2 small males , a slightly bigger male and 3 decent females). All caught down between the first set of shoals below 575 and the second set. All caught on a silver 1/8 oz Panther Martin. Absolutely no interest in anything else I threw (jigs, small cranks, etc). Most close to the shore. They came in bursts of three: nothing the first 45 minutes, then three in maybe 10 minutes, wait another hour and then three more in 10 minutes. Was a strange morning and didn't see much action from the others there either. But, I just found out that my office is closed on Friday, so I'll be back!

I find that when the water's stained like that, working the edge like you did can really pay off. They seem to like waiting in the murk for the bait to come into it and ambush them.

Rooster tails with silver blades and grubs on 1/8 oz heads always did real well for me in those times.

Parallel the stain line and work it in and out with your rod tip in the retrieve and you should pick some up.
That seemed to be the only thing working for us those particular days. We tried several things it was those firetiger cranks that was the only consistency we had. But thanks for the ideas, will have to keep all of this in mind the next visit. I'd with they were on the sand and wood enjoy bouncing these cranks of the laydowns to have it crushed by a brute white bass

Had a similarly slow morning on the Little River on Saturday. Picked up six (2 small males , a slightly bigger male and 3 decent females). All caught down between the first set of shoals below 575 and the second set. All caught on a silver 1/8 oz Panther Martin. Absolutely no interest in anything else I threw (jigs, small cranks, etc). Most close to the shore. They came in bursts of three: nothing the first 45 minutes, then three in maybe 10 minutes, wait another hour and then three more in 10 minutes. Was a strange morning and didn't see much action from the others there either. But, I just found out that my office is closed on Friday, so I'll be back!
You're doing it right, the only thing is we fished later in the afternoon past dark. Best bites came when there was no light left around 8-9 PM I believe. I think the cool mornings have them whites in a funk. Locked jaw or something. Keep on trying different times, locations, and lures. When all else fails minnows never fails :fine: