Coosa River White Bass

ryork

Got out for about six hours on the Coosa yesterday to chase some white bass. Put in at the Lock and Dam and ran downstream to the power plant, and started fishing back upstream from there. The water level wasn't bad, the clarity was good (light stain), and the water temp was 51-52 everywhere we went all day. There was more current than usual still though and the wind was absolutely howling at times directly from the opposite direction of the current, and those combined made boat positioning somewhat challenging. Was blowing hard enough at times that there were large limbs coming out of the trees overhanging the bank. First time I've ever thought about wearing a hard hat while fishing.......

Didn't have a 100-200 fish day like we've had up there the past couple of years, but still managed to have a good day. Key areas were mud-lines at creek mouths and small eddies in tiny pockets up against the bank downstream of the inside bends. Fish came primarily on small green or chartreuse crankbaits (shad raps and DT-6) and 2" blue-white sassy shad on a 1/8 head. All of our better fish came from just upstream of the power plant for a couple of miles. Probably could have increased our numbers some by staying on some of the smallish males, and I do mean small. We left a couple of places where those were biting to go further back down to find some of the bigger females. Added a nice spot and a crappie into the mix too.

Attachments

• 3-10 (1).jpg
    3-10 (1).jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 456
  • 3-10 (2).jpg
    3-10 (2).jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 458
  • 3-10 (3).jpg
    3-10 (3).jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 457

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Shoot yeah! Nothing wrong with those at all! I've fished the last couple afternoons down here and our white bass are still very scattered and not up in good numbers. Still more hybrids around that whites. Water temps in the 55-56 degree range.

ryork

Thanks! Yeah, I think it's about a week away, assuming no unusually heavy rainfall this weekend, from busting loose up on the Coosa.

Wish the ACE would let the water level stabilize down at WP. Looked at their graph this morning showing the projected level and it actually shows it going down back to 631.50 or so into the first week of April...... Barring a rain of Biblical proportions, they will do whatever is necessary to stick to that too in my experience. Makes no sense to me. Guess I'll be making that wonderful ride up from Ringer here soon......

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Snake creek has been fine if the Franklin gauge is reading 13-14 ft regardless of the lake. Only problem is usually when it is running on the high side, it tends to be dirty.

campboy

Good deal! Wish I could get away from work right now! The Coosa is just a couple miles from my house. Love catchin' them whites!

ryork

Snake creek has been fine if the Franklin gauge is reading 13-14 ft regardless of the lake.

That's good info right there, thanks!! I usually check the gauge online and unless it's 632.3 or so at a minimum I will use Ringer.

FishingAddict

Nice! I went to Brushy Branch yesterday. I bass fished and did alright, but left after only 3 hours because the wind got crazy. It was blowing just the right direction for no protection from it- at at least 18 MPH with 25 MPH gusts. Enough chop in that little area that I was getting quite wet in my little River Hawk.

Wonderful catches, pictures, and report. Thanks for sharing. I'll be there 03/18 - 03/20. Planning on launching out of Brushy or Old River and motoring up to the dam then float back down. This gives me some hope but not looking forward to the potential rain. After reading this I'd much be on the river typing this than at work SMH...