Cotton Seed

Cottonseed meal, whole fuzzy cottonseed as well as delinted cottonseed are all used as feed ingredients. Dairy folks especially like fuzzy seed in their cow's diets to help produce high volumes of milk.

Cottonseed meal is a protein source priced against soybean meal. A few other soy meal alternatives are sunflower meal, safflower meal, canola meal and peanut meal. After the oil is extracted, the byproduct becomes food for other critters.

As protein sources, yes they can be toxic if over-consumption occurs.

I would love to learn how folks feed cottonseed to deer.

I LOVE a late season field of picked cotton for bucks. Other than feeling concealed in the field, they love munching on un-picked cotton bolls for the seed. It's very high in protein....in the 40's, percentage wise. Cotton seed meal, because of that protein content is a supplement in cattle feed. It's good stuff. So good that you have to limit the amount fed or the mama cow's milk can cause the calf to scour.

My favorite "food plot" from say, Christmas until the end of the season, is a field of cotton. It can be magic.

I LOVE a late season field of picked cotton for bucks. Other than feeling concealed in the field, they love munching on un-picked cotton bolls for the seed. It's very high in protein....in the 40's, percentage wise. Cotton seed meal, because of that protein content is a supplement in cattle feed. It's good stuff. So good that you have to limit the amount fed or the mama cow's milk can cause the calf to scour.

My favorite "food plot" from say, Christmas until the end of the season, is a field of cotton. It can be magic.
I second this.

Deer love a cotton field from the time they plant it until the time they disc it under - to include loving it even after it is bushhogged.

My commercial tillable fields are in peanuts, cotton and melon rotation.

Cotton is our best.

Just remember to stop feeding it before they loose their velvet. Cottonseed contains a chemical called gossypol and it makes male animals sterile. The gossypol toxicity stops when the animal stops eating it. Cattle farmers have to be careful with their bulls eating cottonseed.

Just remember to stop feeding it before they loose their velvet. Cottonseed contains a chemical called gossypol and it makes male animals sterile. The gossypol toxicity stops when the animal stops eating it. Cattle farmers have to be careful with their bulls eating cottonseed.
Think of all the moonpies eaten by young boys in the south years ago. If I'm not mistaken moonpies are made with cottonseed meal.

While we are on the subject of cotton being ginned and also cottonseed oil etc...........some of you older people might remember hearing about or seeing this technique being used for cat-fishing.

Here is a history lesson for most of you that have never even thought about being possible.

Let me explain. I began working for a filtration company located here in Augusta beginning back in January of 1973 and one of the oddest items that I ever was involved in manufacturing and selling was a really heavy duty woven Nylon filter press cloths that were used in a few cotton gins around the country. After the cotton was ginned for the actual fiber content, then these cotton gins would process the cottonseed which was a by-product of this process. This mixture was heated to higher temperatures and then injected into a really heavy duty filter press with possibly 20-50 tons of pressure and they would squeeze most of the oil out of the seeds. The oil itself would be filtered and used for various products. What was remaining was the remnants of those seeds and the smaller amount of oil that was considered residue. While the remaining "residue" product was still hot, it was then put into these filter presses with the 1/4"-3/8" thickness Nylon fabric press cloths and then held in the press for several hours. When the press was finally opened, these cloths were sealed around the cottonseed mixture and the "meal-cake" became very hard and each cake was a size about 18" x 32". These mealcakes were sold for many years as catfish bait especially for using large size hand-made wire fish baskets in lakes, rivers, or even farm ponds. Many of the buyers of this product were commercial fisherman back then and they don't exist much anymore. Unfortunately, processing mealcake in that original fashion has now become just about extinct.

Even back in the 1970's there were ONLY three known cotton gins left in the USA that were still processing the cottonseed into the mealcakes as such. These three locations were ones which I supplied these press cloths before they went out of business and I have visited all three of these manufacturing over the years.

Louisville Gin & Fertilizer in Louisville, Ga.
Pendleton Oil Mill in Pendleton, S.C.
Moulton Oil Mill in Moulton, Tx

ps: I have worked in the Filtration Industry for the past 47 years and I have owned my Filtration Company since 1992.....BUT possible retirement does sound better and better.