Cougar sightings in Franklin Co.

GAranger1403

Hey, maybe I did not clarify earlier, I am not saying the cats are not seen here. The fact is there are escaped or free ranging pets in this state. Like I said , I know someone who has a dozen conficated animals right now. My aunt had 2 as pets on their property till they were confiscated by DNR, no I didn't rat, I was 10 years old then. As far as shooting them goes, yes it would be illegal. So please shoot them with a camera and give us all some proof.
I guess you could say your life was in danger if you shot one.
Wouldn't try it though.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
I thought I saw a Sasquatch at my front door last Christmas eve. Nearly had a heart attack. :hair: Nobody told me my monster-in-law was coming over.

GAranger1403

We don't call 'em sasquatch here in the swamp. Them's skunkbears. I also have a problem with chupacabres gettin my goats.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
We don't call 'em sasquatch here in the swamp. Them's skunkbears. I also have a problem with chupacabres gettin my goats.

Yeah, I know what you mean. My monster-in-law sure gets my goat.

michaeljt

For many years the New York DNR had continually denied the existence of cougars in upsate NY until one of their Biologists ran across one and happened to have a camera with him. They are very secretive and their range is expanding as they learn how to cope with man.

trapperP

GAranger is it legal to shoot one? I don't see how it could be against the law since they supposedley don't live in georgia..

I dearly love this part of the conversation. We also "Don't have any cougars in Illinois" where my brother farms. Between the coyotes and what ever, he has problems when cows calve and has called in the CPO's several times. I heard one tell him that whatever his problems were caused by it was not a cougar/catamount/ moutain lion/ panther as "We don't have any in Illinois!" So when my brother, having seen one twice in a week, asked "What's going to happen if I shoot and kill one?" and the CPO said "I guarantee you will spend some time in jail and it will cost you at least $5,000 if you do!" So, you cannot shoot something that is not there? I wonder if these cats worked for the CIA???? And why would Georgia be any different???

GeorgiaGirl08

Cougar tracks?

A cougar was seen in the woods in my back yard. We have had ducks, 2 little dogs, and chickens go missing in our neighborhood in the last few days. I found fresh tracks in the sand day before yesterday. Somebody want to tell me what they think of the tracks??? It also had a stride of 10 feet!

Attachments

• Christys Pictures 1039.jpg
    Christys Pictures 1039.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 8,199

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Ma`am, I`m not disputin` your word, but a cougar (panther) has a stride of 40 inches, on the average.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yes, that is a walkin` stride measurement.

GeorgiaGirl08

We found several tracks. The first 2 were 7ft apart and the second 2 were 10ft.

Attachments

• Christys Pictures 1065.jpg
    Christys Pictures 1065.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 6,772

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
A cougar was seen in the woods in my back yard. We have had ducks, 2 little dogs, and chickens go missing in our neighborhood in the last few days. I found fresh tracks in the sand day before yesterday. Somebody want to tell me what they think of the tracks??? It also had a stride of 10 feet!

10 feet?:confused:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR

That pic is canine, it fails the "X" test and claws register. Cats only have claws register on slippery surfaces (i.e.:mud) when running and not always. See canine pic in #1 and cougar track in # 2, also cats have a leading toe, unlike dogs.

Attachments

• dogtrack2kc.jpg
    dogtrack2kc.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,776
  • cougarinsandheel.jpg
    cougarinsandheel.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,774
i have seen a cougar that was shot on grassy mountain in murray county.it was shot by an older fella who said he was picking poke salad when it tried to attack him.he was showing it off at a little country store.it was streched out on his tailgate with the tail hanging off the side. i would guess it was around 80 pounds or so.

4x4

Wow, I have family members right around that area (Careytown Rd) that has alot of land,I reckon I better be on my toes next time I start whaling on my cottontail squealer...

Throwback

Chief Big Taw

Obviously a dog track. Cats don't walk with claws extended.

We have lost more cattle, goats and chickens to dogs (both feral and with collars on them) than anything else combined. Lost 3 or 4 goats and about 15 chickens in one night.

T

jason8047

OK. Ive tried to upload a video I got on my TC and cant figure out how to do it. Im not saying that I have a video of a cougar but I truely dont know what it is. In my honest opinion it looks like one but the video quality is poor and so far the 2 people Ive showed it to thought it was a cougar but Id like to get it on here to see what you guys think. If someone will help me out I'll try and get it on here. My TC was set up in Cherokee Co. NC about 10 miles from the NC-GA line.

4x4

OK. Ive tried to upload a video I got on my TC and cant figure out how to do it. Im not saying that I have a video of a cougar but I truely dont know what it is. In my honest opinion it looks like one but the video quality is poor and so far the 2 people Ive showed it to thought it was a cougar but Id like to get it on here to see what you guys think. If someone will help me out I'll try and get it on here. My TC was set up in Cherokee Co. NC about 10 miles from the NC-GA line.

Have you tried uploading it to youtube? Thats your best bet.