Couple Hours of Down and Dirty Fishing

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was lazy this morning. I slept in until 7:00. It felt good. I sat around on my butt for awhile drinking coffee, watching tv, and fiddling around on the internet. I wanted to go fishing awhile, but I didn't feel like driving and hiking back into the woods. But, no worries.

There is a good sized cow-pasture creek a couple miles from here. It's not pristine, it's not purty, but it's full of fish, including some really nice ones. I have caught several browns over 20" out of it over the years, including one 27" fish that is the biggest non-brood stocker or non-lake run trout I've ever caught. It also holds some much better than usual wild rainbows, which are getting rare as hen's teeth around here these days. One reason they are there is that they don't hit much, except during the right times; such as when the water is high and a little off-color. This morning, the water was high and a little off-color, so I thought I'd go see if I could hook something interesting.

My messed-up elbow still isn't up to much casting and stripping of big, weighted streamers, which is usually the best way to catch these bigger fish.

So, plan B, the next best thing: I tied up a small herd of big, heavy, nasty stonefly nymphs that looked like they would bite you. I put so much lead wire on these things that I would probably get arrested if I tried to smuggle one into California:

flies.jpg

When I got to the creek, it was about 60* and overcast, with an occasional sprinkle of rain. Nice switch from the heat and humidity lately, and great conditions for fish to be actively feeding. I rigged up with 2x tippet, and started dredging those big bugs through deep runs and up under rocks and junk cars and such.

creek1.jpg

9"-10" bows and browns were coming to hand regularly, but that wasn't what I was after. I wanted something that would put some real bend in my rod, something to fight from the reel.

brown2.jpg

bow1.jpg

bow2.jpg

brown1.jpg

I also caught a bunch of these, which are another reason that this creek is full of fat, happy trout:

hornyhead.jpg

This nasty, deep run at the head of a big hole looks like a good place for a nice fish to be feeding:

creek2.jpg

How about a fat, 16" rainbow? (yes, I put the tape on this one.)

bow3.jpg

This thing put up a heck of a fight on my 10' 3 weight. It took me a good while to get him in after he hit the current, and it was all I could do to keep him from getting into cover and tangling me up. After these stream-bred rainbows get up to 12" or more, hooking one is like hooking into a streak of lightning. With those big, wide tails and streamlined bodies, they are unbelievable fast and also jump repeatedly. There is no give-up in them. Then, when you put one of them back into the water, it is completely gone in a nanosecond, so fast that it leaves you standing there, almost wondering if you really, actually just caught it.

To be continued....

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I fished on for awhile, catching fish every few casts, but nothing else of above average size.

This run looks interesting:

creek3.jpg

In the middle of the deep current next to that overhanging tree, I hooked into nearly 15 more inches of chain lightning:

bow4.jpg

Another great fight down that long, swift run. This one jumped even more than the other one.

A little further upstream, I found an overhanging root mass with a nice, deep hidey-hole under it:

creek4.jpg

In there, I hooked up with what appeared to be a 15"-16" brown, but he released himself before I could get him into the net. Instead of the lightening-fast runs and jumps of the rainbows, browns this size are more deep-running, bulldogging, head-shaking pure brute strength.

Not long after that, it started raining, so I headed back to the truck and back to home. I got there just as my wife was putting the finishing touches on this:

breakfast.jpg

So, even though I didn't get any of the double-handed browns I was after, I had a great time for a couple hours, and those couple of nice bows and the couple minutes of fight with the aborted brown suited me just fine. The pictures don't do these fish justice at all. Quite an enjoyable morning, and only five minutes from home to boot. Thanks for riding along with me.

bow5.jpg

Fin.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent post. Every trip doesn't have to be "back of beyond", and I bet those chunks pulled like a freight train on that 3 wt.
You ever notice that those nasty, junky creeks have bigger fish on average than the clear, pristine, back of beyond ones? I remember that hog of a rainbow you caught out of a similar creek awhile back.

Yep, I love that 10' 3 weight. Especially since my elbow has been messed up most of the summer. And you can about feel every time that nymph ticks a rock on the bottom.

Cmp1

BANNED
Really nice catches,,,,beautiful rainbow,,,,the hole were you got the rainbow looks just like the hole I was catfishin and got the big Brown that busted my line,,,,

Jrpc16

Great post, hate to admit it but when I was Wnc last month the house we rented didn’t scream trout. But after the first day and fish. Who really needs to go that remote.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Great post, hate to admit it but when I was Wnc last month the house we rented didn’t scream trout. But after the first day and fish. Who really needs to go that remote.
Almost any flowing water in WNC has trout in it. Where were you staying at?

Coenen

Very nice!

A big rainbow will give you the business like few other fish can.

Bream Pole

I know of no one that lives surrounded by all the different fishing opportunities you do. I live off your posts. This one one of the the best. I love the five-10 mile hike ins and beautiful mountain scenery and creek water but this is more identifiable to someone like me who can't hike anymore and wants it nearby.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I enjoy these stories man. I’m not even a fly fisherman but I do love to fish. These are good stories.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like you had a excellent day! A couple of them rainbows are biggans by anyone's standard.
Yeah, you don't see many bigger than that around here anymore in the creeks, unless it's stockers in a delayed harvest, or those big ones that run up out of lakes to spawn. Back when I was growing up, big rainbows were a lot more common. I don't know what happened to them. A 12" wild rainbow is a big one nowadays.

RFJ25

I'm a new member, and this was the first post I happened upon. Wow, what a great story and some nice catches! Thank you for sharing.

Rabun

I'm a new member, and this was the first post I happened upon. Wow, what a great story and some nice catches! Thank you for sharing.

I'd say you had a great start to the forum then. NC will immerse you in his stories to the point you can hear the ripples, feel that cold water and taste the rewards (y)

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
Your posts sure make me want to head north from south Georgia... I haven't caught a trout on a fly in over a year now. You're a lucky man to live so close to those waters. Beautiful pictures!