Couple old artifacts

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Great finds! Daltons are one of my favorites.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
You have a couple of very nice finds there. I hope you can respect the importance of just what you have there.

Very nice.

ArmyTaco

You have a couple of very nice finds there. I hope you can respect the importance of just what you have there.

Very nice.
Yes very much so...these two aren't mine, but came from the same area out here, that I hunt, and was a site the Paleo people used. I have learned a ton about Paleo/Archaic period, so I went over to look at his collection again. It had been years since i saw it, but almost had a stroke this time. These were just two of many very old SMOKERS, just tossed in a big box with maybe 200 wholes/brokes. He didnt know what he had. Im going back with cases next time. ?‍♂️

There is coral, chert, etc out here by the truck loads, and a few Clovis and Clovis Caches have been found too. That sent me down a deep deep dive and it's amazing to me, that I cam pick this stuff up that likely hasn't been touched by man for 8-10,000 years or so. I'm a artifact nut....I always was, but living in Macon made it hard to hunt. Now I have 4000 acres with 2 creeks and it's also creeks with known Paleo sites. If you're ever up around Cochran, let me know and I'll show you and maybe we'll find something good. Bout to start digging some. ?

Just a small fraction of the raw material found in this stretch of Bleckley/West Laurens County. Tried to carry it home, but I couldn't fit it in my pocket. ? 20220619_050028.jpg

ArmyTaco

I actually used that source to learn about this area, when most of the artifacts I found, have been Late Paleo/Early Archaic. The little exhausted blade on the left, sent me down a Paleo rabbit hole. ? I knew the base was indicative to the Paleo stuff, but a few minor details, totally changes what it is, vs what I originally thought. Of course that was the thought of maybe its an exhausted Clovis. A few have been found within walking distance of the farm. Obviously it wasn't, but it proved my theory on the site being as old as i thought. An interesting observation, was ive only found one quarter size piece of pottery, yet several broken or whole early artifacts. 20220417_121102.jpg