Coyote bait opinions

280 Man

Banned
Have any of you seen Coyotes react negatively to certain scents,or learn to associate bait smells with Danger? I’d think that if you used a bait repetitively in an area...they’d learn to avoid it & your sets :huh:

Coyotes are very curious creatures and imo that is their downfall.. While some may disagree we are not trapping animals that are Mensa members. I do not believe they can associate a food smell with a trap in the ground.

While I do take precautions while bedding traps with human odor but I do not go overboard with it.

I think the issues comes with un-natural looking trap area. Here again, imo its critical to make it look like another critter has hid something.

Ol' Gobblero

Ol Gobblero, what do you mean by a “10% catch rate”?? That trappers only catch about 10% of the predators on a property? BTW...Thank You for chiming in. I’ve always enjoyed your posts & knowledge on trapping?[/QUOTE

What I mean by 10% is that if I have 200 traps set, I catch 20 animals a day.

mossyoakpro

No they're not out of it. I was just kinda joking that if it didn't work for anybody I would buy what they had left for a discounted price. Sorry. Sometimes my mind thinks what my mouth don't say (or in this case type)

I've never had a problem with the jar breaking but I will be careful with them and watch them from now on.

It's normally the lid...I just put mine in a new plastic container when I get it. Those small white containers will hold 2 jars easily.

buckpasser

So one thing that I seem to be hearing here is that most of you use bought bait. So far all I’ve caught have been on bait I made, but I can’t help but wonder if I’d do better with a tried and true bait for a change. This fall has me scratching my head. The trail cams I’ve been studying have provided some interesting information.

Last night a huge coyote gave me one pic, but wasn’t caught. I looked at the sets today and he stepped in my trench for a very close near miss and squeezed out a big dump beside my dirt hole set. He didn’t steal any of the bait, so I assume he was only interested in the urine and appearance of another predator messing around there.

Doug B.

For the most part I buy my bait. Try a jar of bait from a trapping supply. Keep up with what you catch with it opposed to what you catch with yours. It would be interesting to see which one caught more fur. Who knows, we may be wanting to buy bait from you next year.

buckpasser

For the most part I buy my bait. Try a jar of bait from a trapping supply. Keep up with what you catch with it opposed to what you catch with yours. It would be interesting to see which one caught more fur. Who knows, we may be wanting to buy bait from you next year.

Wouldn’t that be nice! I think the tried and true “blends” are probably more appealing than what I’ve made. So far I’ve caught on tainted ground venison, tainted venison with castor gland, fresh preserved beaver meat, whole chickens, and barn cat. Of course, I use lure and urine at almost every set, so it’s hard to say how much my RX worked vs theirs...

My favorite part about all this is the learning. It feels pretty helpless at times with trap prep, trap bedding, set location, animal intelligence, bait, lure, set type, soil type, etc all in play at each attempt. So many variables can be overwhelming!

buckpasser

I ordered some Caven’s HV. I’ll be open mindedly testing when it arrives. Maybe I’ve been handicapping myself? We shall see.