coyote colors

Dough

I've seen two coyotes around here in my life, both on roads, both looked like small German Shepards. This evening I heard dogs running what I thought would be a deer (on the adjoining property). I got ready thinking a deer may materialize and instead I saw what I believe is a black coyote. This thing was black as, well, black with yellow eyes. A couple of minutes behind it were two hounds which followed the same path as the coyote.

I've seen coyotes in California which all were tanish/yellowish, never a black one.

My question is: what's your opinion? black coyote or a dog running through the woods? (Definately NOT a black panther - this is canine!)

As I sat pondering what transpired, I thought how miserable it would be to have a family out walking through the woods with their dog and BAAAAMMM! Some nut in a tree shots Rover! Even if they were trespassing, it wouldn't justify shooting a family pet.

Randy

Black coyotes are not rare. I have seen plenty but not sure about what you saw. Typically a coyote would not be followed by hounds.

CAL

You could have very well have seen a black yote.I killed a black one and a blondish one last week.They were together.The fox hunters around down here have some pens they run their hounds in and they currently use coyotes to run.They say they will run better than a fox and the race is longer.My understanding is some buy the yotes and release them in the pens.

Gadget

I've seen pics of all black ones and have seen one killed that had black blotches.

Saw a big male the other day, typical grey, yeah they do kinda look like a german shepard.

I'm getting ready to start busting out the yote calls here soon. Gotta wait for deer season to end. It's really like turkey hunting, you setup and call for 30min then move to new spot. When they come, they usually come in running. Lots of fun!!

Last edited:

ladr

The only coyote I have seen while deer hunting was solid black with yellow eyes. He most definitely was a coyote, not a dog. I first saw him from a distance and wasn't sure what it was, only that it was very black. Then while sitting in my climber 20 ft. up an oak tree, he followed my trail to the tree and stood there looking up at me... Those were some wild looking yellow eyes.

triozoo123

other posts on topic

From what i researched after taking a black one on opening day, they are about 1 in 600. there are pics in the bragging board forum, 1 on page 5 called yote & a buck or something thereabouts. and 1 on pg 12 called two firsts, a post from my husband with a link to the 1 that i took. the coloration does exist without being crossed with dog, just as black, gray wolves exist, just the way the genes lined up. Not to say that coy-dogs dont exist or cause this black, but it is also just a natural color for the species..just not as common.
Yours in sport
triozoo123