1/5/2020
2 hunters
AR's with thermal
Douglas county hay fields and kudzu field
1 heard
2 seen
1 killed
Foxpro, MFK, Boss distress and vocals

First stand we made produced no response nor sightings so we elected to just stop and howl at a different spot and planned to call it a night.

We discussed setting up our guns but decided to just leave them in the truck since the first stand had been completely dead. We had an immediate response a good distance off and within just a short time frame the coyote had closed the distance considerably as we scrambled to set up our guns. The coyote popped out of a thicket and made us and made a retreat right back into the thicket.

I was turned around looking at some deer up a big hill in the opposite direction that the coyote had just popped out of, when a coyote came into view between us and the deer. At the first shot the coyote began to helicopter spin and then hurried up the hill, it took several running follow up shots to finally anchor it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    586 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

geebler

1/7/2020
3 hunters
AR's with thermal
Haralson county cow pasture
2 heard
2 seen
1 killed
Foxpro, MFK, Boss, Tony Tebbe distress and vocals
Called in a cow pasture that I've called a handful of times over the last couple of years; it's a fairly good drive from the house and we only have one property to hunt so we don't make it out there too often. The coyotes in the area respond super slowly when working into a call and last night was no different.

Started out trying low volume prey distress sounds with no response. Switched to vocals and had no response for the first 10 minutes and then a pair finally sounded off a good distance away. It took over 30 minutes for them to finally work their way to us.

The pair broke cover on my side of the pasture (at the 43 minute mark) and were troublesome as they kept crossing one another making it difficult for my partner and I to stay on the one on our respective side. We finally got them stopped and both fired, mine was down right there and my partner missed his. It was a healthy female with a terrible under-bite, almost looked like a pug.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 45

Vivian

1/7/2020
3 hunters
AR's with thermal
Haralson county cow pasture
2 heard
2 seen
1 killed
Foxpro, MFK, Boss, Tony Tebbe distress and vocals
Called in a cow pasture that I've called a handful of times over the last couple of years; it's a fairly good drive from the house and we only have one property to hunt so we don't make it out there too often. The coyotes in the area respond super slowly when working into a call and last night was no different.

Started out trying low volume prey distress sounds with no response. Switched to vocals and had no response for the first 10 minutes and then a pair finally sounded off a good distance away. It took over 30 minutes for them to finally work their way to us.

The pair broke cover on my side of the pasture (at the 43 minute mark) and were troublesome as they kept crossing one another making it difficult for my partner and I to stay on the one on our respective side. We finally got them stopped and both fired, mine was down right there and my partner missed his. It was a healthy female with a terrible under-bite, almost looked like a pug.

I counted five dead coyote on I 59 today between Trenton , GA and Birmingham , AL...What on earth is going on with that ....I have never seen that many coyote in one day ....

Yotedawg

1/16/20
2 Hunters
6mm Creedmoors with thermal and night vision
East Grady county fields
Hot and humid
Foxpro, MFK, Boss, Tony Tebbe sounds
0 heard
0 seen
0 killed
Hot night, dawgs not moving. Second set did lip squeak a fox in and took it. Nice female red.

Yotedawg

1/20/20
2 hunters
6mm creedmoors with thermal
North Grady county fields and hayfields
38 degrees, North wind
Foxpro, MFK, Tony Tebbe, Crooked Creek Custom Calls distress and vocals
Several heard
1 seen
1 killed

Cold night for the Predator Outlaws. Dawgs were vocal though we struck out the first two sets. We tried a brand new hand call made by Crooked Creek Custom Calls called cottontail chaos. This was one sweet call. Third set we called up a pair of fox up instantly in an empty cow lot. We moved on to the forth set in a hayfield and tried the hand call again and in less than a minute had this female in our hip pocket. The 6mm creed took her out of the game.

Attachments

• IMG_5421.JPEG
    IMG_5421.JPEG
    80.2 KB · Views: 24

Yotedawg

1/23/20
3 hunters
6mm creeds with thermal and nv
north Grady county fields and deer plot
60 degrees windy and rain
Foxpro, Boss, TT, MFK distress and vocals
6 heard
2 seen
1 killed

Rainy and windy night for the Predator Outlaws. Started with an elderly couple who were having dawgs come up in their yard. We set up in their yard and overlooked a deer plot. Took a few minutes but called up this female that Mark took at 200 yards. She responded to aggressive sounds. Two sets later we set up in the rain in a field. Strick took out his Crooked Creek Custom Calls cottontail chaos and brought this 25 pound south Ga. cat coming looking for a meal. Strick took it with his 6mm creed and thermal.

Attachments

• IMG_5442.JPEG
    IMG_5442.JPEG
    69.7 KB · Views: 37

Yotedawg

1/27/20
3 hunters
South grady county pastures and hayfields
50 degrees
Foxpro TT MFK Boss vocals
4 heard
1 seen
0 confirmed killed
Called one in on second set. Very suspicious dawg. Very slow to come in. Hung up at 300+ so I took a long poke at him. Hit him and he did the spin before running off. Could not find him.

geebler

1/28/20
2 hunters
AR's with thermal
Douglas county kudzu field
Mid 30's
Foxpro, TT, MFK, and Boss vocals and distress
Seemed like it would have been a good night for calling with cooler temps and dark moon, it wasn't. Didn't see nor hear a thing.

Yotedawg

1/30/20
3 hunters
North grady county fields and hayfields
55° w/east wind
Foxpro, mfk, Boss, Tony Tebbe, Lucky Duck vocals
Several heard
4 seen
2 confirmed killed
The Predator Outlaws had an active night. Dawgs were vocal and responding to straight vocals last night as breeding season is ramping up. First set had a 32 pound male come in on a string after a few mfk female invite howls. Turned into a very quick set. Third set called a 26 pound male in that we took and had to track to find it. Fifth set had a pair howl across a hayfield as we set up. Called them in but they circled us and I forced a shot through a grown up fencerow. Bullet sounded like it got meat but dawg could not be found.

Attachments

• 69984412-6FEE-4D29-8379-7CED821196D9.jpeg
    69984412-6FEE-4D29-8379-7CED821196D9.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 7

Buckhead

Yotedawg-

Do you ever call in daylight or in wooded areas? Looks like your posts are generally pastures at night. If so, wondering about your thoughts and experience in that regard. Especially this time of year when they are more active.

Shot a few on our 1,000 acre lease, but most while deer hunting. I call some in the offseason, both with and without night vision. Have decent gear, however, difficult to get there at night. Low success rate, probably 20%. More opportunities during the day, just don’t want to overcall and educate them.

Sounds like you guys hunt close to home and have access to a lot of land. Curious on your thoughts since you seem to be consistently successful.

Yotedawg

We used to hunt days and wooded areas. It is a hard sale. Not saying it can’t be done, because it can, but success rate goes way down. Coyotes generally like to come in from downwind. Hunting in fields we set up to try to take the downwind direction away from them. We will setup with a road, or a pond, or maybe just wide open space downwind from us. Anything to cut them off or make them not want to come from that direction. They live by their sense of smell and you just aren’t going to beat their nose. The problem with wooded areas is they will circle downwind under the cover of the woods and you will never see them. You are calling them up but because of cover they are busting you and you never know it. We have seen this at night. We have people contacting us to hunt their deer leases which means small food plots. We have watched dawgs work their way through the woods with thermal to get downwind instead of coming into the plot so we can shoot them. Same thing happens during the day. That is why we prefer fields, pastures, and hayfields. Big open spaces to bring them out in the open. And we prefer nights because coyotes are more active and “think” they are safe under the cover of darkness. And yes, we have thousands of acres to hunt. You have to if you hunt a lot. Coyotes will absolutely shut down under pressure. They will not respond to anything. The good thing is if you can get a few kills and get the word out that you can kill them, the land will come to you. We get calls or facebook messages all the time to come hunt other peoples properties. And then they tell their neighbors and so on. Hope this helps.....

Buckhead

We used to hunt days and wooded areas. It is a hard sale. Not saying it can’t be done, because it can, but success rate goes way down. Coyotes generally like to come in from downwind. Hunting in fields we set up to try to take the downwind direction away from them. We will setup with a road, or a pond, or maybe just wide open space downwind from us. Anything to cut them off or make them not want to come from that direction. They live by their sense of smell and you just aren’t going to beat their nose. The problem with wooded areas is they will circle downwind under the cover of the woods and you will never see them. You are calling them up but because of cover they are busting you and you never know it. We have seen this at night. We have people contacting us to hunt their deer leases which means small food plots. We have watched dawgs work their way through the woods with thermal to get downwind instead of coming into the plot so we can shoot them. Same thing happens during the day. That is why we prefer fields, pastures, and hayfields. Big open spaces to bring them out in the open. And we prefer nights because coyotes are more active and “think” they are safe under the cover of darkness. And yes, we have thousands of acres to hunt. You have to if you hunt a lot. Coyotes will absolutely shut down under pressure. They will not respond to anything. The good thing is if you can get a few kills and get the word out that you can kill them, the land will come to you. We get calls or facebook messages all the time to come hunt other peoples properties. And then they tell their neighbors and so on. Hope this helps.....

Yes, it helps. Confirms my thoughts and experiences. Guess I am doing about as well as can be expected. I try to factor in the wind, but only so much you can do. Can’t take away the cover.

Often times I can get them to vocally respond and can hear them close the gap. They just won’t present a shot opportunity. Frustrating, but very satisfying when successful. I would go more often if I lived closer to the lease or had more places to go.

I enjoy reading your posts.

Yotedawg

Yes, it helps. Confirms my thoughts and experiences. Guess I am doing about as well as can be expected. I try to factor in the wind, but only so much you can do. Can’t take away the cover.

Often times I can get them to vocally respond and can hear them close the gap. They just won’t present a shot opportunity. Frustrating, but very satisfying when successful. I would go more often if I lived closer to the lease or had more places to go.

I enjoy reading your posts.
Hang in there and good luck!! Wooded areas are tough!!

Yotedawg

2/3/20
3 hunters
6mm creeds with nv and thermal
Decatur county fields and clearcut
56 degrees light wind
Foxpro MFK Boss Tony Tebbe vocals and distress
2 heard
1 seen
1 killed

The Predator Outlaws crossed county lines tonight to hunt some new dirt in Decatur county. Very slow night. Never heard a dawg till our last set at around 10:00pm and it was after we found this female slipping through the backdoor and circling downwind of us. A bark howl stopped her in her tracks and Strick lit her up with the 6 creed.

Attachments

• IMG_5943.jpg
    IMG_5943.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 8