Coyote hunters...

Mark K

Banned
Have a question...when a coyote sings and howls why does it do it? Are they waiting for a response from other coyotes?
Actually felt sorry for ole boy. He started singing right at dark then finished it with a long lonely howl. It waited about 30 seconds or so and skipped the singing and just went back with a louder longer lonelier howl...he wasn’t answered.
So the yipping and barking followed by the howl means what?

sleepr71

He was trying to Locate others. May be a drifter,just passing through. Usually right at Dusk(or Dawn). It’s been a while...but My understanding is: you only hear yipping & barking(after howls) when there is a Pack( 2,or more present). In 20 years of calling them,I don’t recall a single ever yipping. I’ve had them Bark at me to either (1) Challenge ,or (2) because they didn’t like something they see,or heard..and they ain’t coming aannyy closer?

Mark K

Banned
Thanks and good! Glad none answered him. Then again he may decide since no one answered that he’ll call this home. We trap almost 7-8 months out of the year, but during that 4-5 months we always have more move back in.

Last edited:

furtaker

Yep, if you are calling and ever have one hang up in the woods and start barking, he busted you and you can forget it.

There shouldn't be any trespassing from one territory to another this time of year. The pups will start dispersing in a few weeks.

Mark K

Banned
I was deer hunting and about to climb down when he started. He was within a couple hundred yards based on the sound. In the years past before I started trapping I’d hear multiple groups start up, this one sounded like he/she was just lonesome. I’ve never heard a howl that long and drawn out.

sleepr71

Be glad it was just one. I bet he’d be easy to lure in with some female howls,or pup in distress calls ?

Mark K

Banned
I’d rather catch him, lol. Started to walk back to the truck and get the AR with the light and the e-caller...but I love matching wits with them and getting them to step where I want them to.

Permitchaser

I was deer hunting and about to climb down when he started. He was within a couple hundred yards based on the sound. In the years past before I started trapping I’d hear multiple groups start up, this one sounded like he/she was just lonesome. I’ve never heard a howl that long and drawn out.

It may have been a lone female looking for a mate