coyote trapping?

respro

Howdy, Does any one here trap? I was interested in trapping coyotes after deer season. I have always been curious but the thought of the yote in a foothold trap all night struggling and in pain has me second guessing. Don't get me wrong, when deer hunting I will drop the yote in his tracks! Just don't want to cause undue pain and suffering. Any Ideas?

watashot89

I do. And dont mind me correcting you, but it doesnt cause pain to animal in the trap. If it did it would be illegal. If you want to take out large numbers of coyotes you will need footholds, plain and simple. The way it works is you dig a hole at about a 50 degree angle, and in front of it you will dig a trap "bed". You stake the trap, set it, put it in the "bed" and sift dirt over it. Then put some lure/bait in the hole and check it the next day. It all sounds pretty simple but there really is an art to it. And it takes lots of patience and time to become a good trapper. There are thousands of lures and baits out there and different kinds of traps and staking systems. If you really want to get into it, I suggest going to www.trapperman.com/forum. There are plenty of pictures of sets, locations, and catches to learn how to trap any critter you want. And you can also go to www.minntrapprod.com to buy books and videos to learn how to trap. Any questions feel free to ask.

tommy jacobs

Yotes

Never have understood how everyone is concerned about the coyote suffering, This thing eats everything in the woods, and he eats them while they are alive !!!!! How could you anything suffer more than by being eaten alive ???? GET OVER IT, KILL EVERY ONE YOU SEE BY ANY MEANS NESSESARY !!!!!

famlytraprz

I think this thread was put here to drum up support for anti-trapping, I'm glad the antis are going elsewhere!

John Porter

If you need information on trapping any species --punch in trap supply dealers in your search mode. Most if not all dealers will have a vast supply of trapping videos and books for sale.

respro

Thanks

I think this thread was put here to drum up support for anti-trapping, I'm glad the antis are going elsewhere!

Read the post again. I dog hunt deer, does that sound like i'm an anti trapper? we run dogs 4 to 5 runs a day a couple of times each week. I try to make clean humane kills on deer. Sorry if I don't get off on making an animal suffer! If i do trap after the season i'll be taking the old trusty .22 and shoot em in the head.

respro

Thanks whatashot 89

Thanks, yours was the first knowlegable info that I received, What kind of traps do you use other than foothold if any. What caliber do you use to kill the catch, where do you shoot? What do you do with the kills. Thanks

famlytraprz

Yotes

No one gave any ideas because they thought what I thought, if you are serious, I would be glad to help. The traps we use are off-set, laminated jaws so that the foot is not damaged. Mb 550s from the Minnesota Trap Co are my favorite for coyote and bobcat. Most yotes are sold to the live market so the animal cannot have any foot damage, so there goes the pain and suffering thought.

respro

I'm going to start trapping this Jan

I plan on trapping this January, I'll be using offset traps. If its coyotes a .22 to the head. Or is there a live trap benefit? I hear that some of the animals can be live trapped and sold. I'll be going with minnesota traplin products for all my equipment, Don't know too much about trapping so maybe they can get me on the right track.
Thanks

watashot89

I agree with famlytraprz, MB-550 are all I use for coyote and bobcats. I also use MB-450 for coon and fox. It all depends on what your purpose of trapping is. If you just want to do it to get rid of some yotes, just shoot em. I use a .22 cal rifle and I shoot em dead in the forhead. Quick, clean kill. I personally sell the coyotes and fox to the live market. The "live trap benefit" is cash! lol. but seriously you can get anywhere from $75-$100 a each for a live coyote in good shape. The only hard part is finding a buyer.

Last edited:

watashot89

Oh, and footholds are all you use to trap coyotes. Snares are the alternative but they are illegal in Ga unless being used within 10 ft of water(beaver and otter). And it is nearly impossible to trap a yote in a cage trap.