Cracker curs

Thread starter #1
There used to be an ol boy from Florida on the South Carolina forums. He ran “ Cracker curs”. He made some good video’s, he ran 4 or 5 cur dogs that looked to be 35-45 lbs. They would run and bay hogs and some would pull hair, but not catch. That fella would ease in there with a rifle, holler at the dogs to get back. They would back off 5-10 yards and he would shoot the hog. Y’all seen or heard of him before ? Good videos, they may have been Faulkner curs or a mix, but he called them cracker curs, might have been his own mix.

stonecreek

Yep! Had one back in early 90s some called them Florida Curs. Got it as a pup at the big coon hunt in Albany. Real solid dog. Ended up selling her because she was way to open on track and my buddies hated her. We run a pretty silent pack tho. I should have kept her and sold my buddies. She went to Waycross and was a great addition to another mans pack.

Heath

I was always under that impression too. For all my life, any cur that came out of Florida and was a rough stock dog type was called a Cracker Cur. It definitely isn’t a breed. Them Crackers used any cur dog that would hold cattle and/or hogs.

Heath

It’s kinda like we always called our dogs Mountain Curs. Now they have a bunch of money making registries to collect your dollars so you can call yours one. I’ve had my fill of registered dogs and have gradually migrated back to cross bred Mountain curs like we used to hunt.

Thread starter #9
I was always under that impression too. For all my life, any cur that came out of Florida and was a rough stock dog type was called a Cracker Cur. It definitely isn’t a breed. Them Crackers used any cur dog that would hold cattle and/or hogs.
Yeah I was figuring it was more of a line of curs, definitely not a different breed. Some of the pictures I've found showed Catahoula mixed with bird dog, bulldog, BMC and anything that would work stock and hogs. I found some being bred in Texas on one of their hog dog forums.

I used to have some fine ones. Last one I had was all but blind, would catch like a hammer. Was probably 65-70 pds as a male, had a great nose and knew what a bay was. Used him for a catch dog until his demise.

Yeah, my brother in law still has a few. Smart dogs but were rough on small hogs. Most were good cow dogs also. Lots of the old timers used them to cow hunt, basically find and herd their cows up out in the vast timber tracts.