Cracker curs

Hillbilly stalker

There used to be an ol boy from Florida on the South Carolina forums. He ran “ Cracker curs”. He made some good video’s, he ran 4 or 5 cur dogs that looked to be 35-45 lbs. They would run and bay hogs and some would pull hair, but not catch. That fella would ease in there with a rifle, holler at the dogs to get back. They would back off 5-10 yards and he would shoot the hog. Y’all seen or heard of him before ? Good videos, they may have been Faulkner curs or a mix, but he called them cracker curs, might have been his own mix.

stonecreek

Yep! Had one back in early 90s some called them Florida Curs. Got it as a pup at the big coon hunt in Albany. Real solid dog. Ended up selling her because she was way to open on track and my buddies hated her. We run a pretty silent pack tho. I should have kept her and sold my buddies. She went to Waycross and was a great addition to another mans pack.

Hillbilly stalker

Here's the only info I can find on them so far.

https://puppytoob.com/florida-cracker-cur/#:~:text= 10 Things You Didn’t Know about The,dogs are bred to match a... More

Florida-Cracker-Cur.jpg

Heath

I was always under that impression too. For all my life, any cur that came out of Florida and was a rough stock dog type was called a Cracker Cur. It definitely isn’t a breed. Them Crackers used any cur dog that would hold cattle and/or hogs.

Hillbilly stalker

I was always under that impression too. For all my life, any cur that came out of Florida and was a rough stock dog type was called a Cracker Cur. It definitely isn’t a breed. Them Crackers used any cur dog that would hold cattle and/or hogs.
Yeah I was figuring it was more of a line of curs, definitely not a different breed. Some of the pictures I've found showed Catahoula mixed with bird dog, bulldog, BMC and anything that would work stock and hogs. I found some being bred in Texas on one of their hog dog forums.

DynamicDennis

I used to have some fine ones. Last one I had was all but blind, would catch like a hammer. Was probably 65-70 pds as a male, had a great nose and knew what a bay was. Used him for a catch dog until his demise.

DynamicDennis

The cracker dogs I had except 1 dog, all had natural bob or 1/2 tails and were all pretty rough dogs. Bred my red male curr dog to a female cracker and had some fine litters.

grouper throat

Yeah, my brother in law still has a few. Smart dogs but were rough on small hogs. Most were good cow dogs also. Lots of the old timers used them to cow hunt, basically find and herd their cows up out in the vast timber tracts.

One of my best hog dogs was half Cracker Cur. Her momma was full blooded and looked similar to the one pictured above. Dog's name was Georgia, she would ride on the dog box or run in front of the truck and wind from the rd. If she was gone for more than a couple minutes get the catch dog ready cause it was on.

Blackston

One of my best hog dogs was half Cracker Cur. Her momma was full blooded and looked similar to the one pictured above. Dog's name was Georgia, she would ride on the dog box or run in front of the truck and wind from the rd. If she was gone for more than a couple minutes get the catch dog ready cause it was on.
Had one that came from some fellas that hunted orange groves he was rough and a HOG dog !!!! But boy could he run a deer if ya didn’t turn him out in hot sign

Blackston

Had one that came from some fellas that hunted orange groves he was rough and a HOG dog !!!! But boy could he run a deer if ya didn’t turn him out in hot sign
They said he hadn’t ever seen a deer …. Don’t know how true that was

Swamprat

Swamprat
Seen them down on the Mormon Ranch to round up cattle. One cowboy on a horse and 2 cracker dogs rounding up 300 head of cattle to move to another pasture was pretty cool to watch.

Not little pastures either, some were 4-600 acres each.