Crappie Question

Khondker

Crappie question from a bank fisherman.

I do bank fishing at lake Lanier parks. Never target or caught crappie before.

At what water temperature crappie will be coming to shallow water to spawn so I can try to catch some from bank?

Is there any Lake Lanier park good for crappie fishing from bank?

Thanks in advance.

-------

welderguy

Clark's bridge.park at the boat ramp and go down under the bridge.At the right time, crappie can be caught around the bridge pilings.good luck!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I havent fished there in years but I can tell you of a good spot that was really hot in the past.

Go north on hwy 60 toward Dahlonega. Turn right on Hwy 283 which is Mt. Vernon road. About 2 miles ahead is a bridge over Wahoo creek. Lots of folks used to fish here by boat and on the bank.

The lake is kind of formed into a pinch point that causes the fish to swim through that narrow spot. I have seen many hundreds of crappie caught in that spot.

Good luck !!!

Khondker

Thanks a lot for the valuable info.

I will be going both the places.

Killer Kyle

Bank fishing for crappie will be hot on Lanier in a couple weeks. This weekend's cold snap in the 30's is gonna put a damper on things for a few days. I will be trying for them in the cold anyway though! Water temps need to get around 60 is and we will be good to go!
FYI I caught a monster crappie in mid April at a park on the running side. Not gonna name names. I was fly fishing a streamer I tied the night before and landed a solid 2 lb slab. My best to date, and it was accidental. She fried up great!

Khondker

Another quick question, does crappie has bigger mouth or small mouth?

I use size 14 Gamakatsu circle hook for bluegill since they have very samll mouth.

I am planing to use owner mutu light circle hook with live minnow.

Backlasher82

Another quick question, does crappie has bigger mouth or small mouth?

I use size 14 Gamakatsu circle hook for bluegill since they have very samll mouth.

I am planing to use owner mutu light circle hook with live minnow.

Crappie have a lot bigger mouth than bluegill. A #4 wire hook is about right for crappie. The wire hook will straighten out when you get hung up and you'll get hung up if you're fishing in the right spots.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Crappie have a lot bigger mouth than bluegill. A #4 wire hook is about right for crappie. The wire hook will straighten out when you get hung up and you'll get hung up if you're fishing in the right spots.

Another vote for the #4 wire hooks

mtr3333

Banned
#1 hooks work fine. I have also used 1/0 when the fish are larger.

Khondker

Update

Me and wife went our first crappie fishing this Saturday.

We fished at Don Carter State Park at the fishing pier.

Used samll live minnow.

Wife caught 30 in less than four hours.

I caught few.

We also caught perch, bass, baby striper.