Crate problens

leroy

Son has English pointer, year old, who has developed severe anxiety to a crate, she will whine and literally slobber a gallon. Any tips, she has stayed in crate no problems before. They were leaving her out and she started chewing things so they went back to crate.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
No expert here but here are some ideas:

Limit time in the crate.
Spend time with her at the crate, don't just lock up and leave.
Insure there is nothing "bothering" her in the crate (another dog, cat, child, unexpected loud noises, etc)
Lots of exercise, be sure she has something to chew on. Antlers are the best thing that we have found.

jakebuddy

Are they putting him in the crate when they leave ? If so sounds like separation anxiety there is a lot of information on you tube. But for sure more exercise would help.

jakebuddy

Also the type of crate matters, my dogs have always done better in a smaller mostly enclosed crate vs the large wire ones just a thought

TurkeyH90

Would be hard to make any bird dog happy in a crate. I had a GSP that nearly destroyed a 5x10 kennel just running laps in it.

egomaniac247

I have a springer spaniel that will go absolutely bonkers in one. I understand the concept but when I saw a Stonnie Dennis on youtube talking about how we as humans accept wolf traits in dogs yet no wolves live in enclosed dens unless they are nursing puppies and cannot travel. It's not natural for a dog to be in an enclosed area like that.

I'm not arguing against the ethics, if it works for people, more power to them....that's 100% their prerogative. Me personally I don't think dogs were meant to be couped up like that and I wouldn't want to be either. But again, I 100% understand that some dogs love their crates after some time.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Exercise most definitely.

Crate train again, short sessions, could use food or toy, toss it in, leave the door open at first, then slightly close, to all the way shut, then increase the time she is in there. If she does fine, reward her plus a lot of praise. If she reverts back, back up in training where she was 100% and start from there again, may take a while to get it right. Always try keep it positive.

It could be separation anxiety, but almost sounds like she had a traumatic experience while in a crate, fireworks or a bad thunderstorm and no one was around to me since she was doing fine before. Try some calming white noise or music, if that doesn't work, get with the vet and they can prescribe something to calm her down, saw it a lot in our military K9s.

More information or video would definitely help.

Last edited:

basshappy

BANNED
Ideal crate is only large enough for the dog to stand upright and turn around in. Think for it like a blanket for a person.

Work on making the crate a positive place. Play fetch and toss the target in the crate. Place treats in the crate. Feed in the crate. Leave the crate door open 24/7 so dog can go in and out anytime. Stay with the dog when in the crate when working it back to being okay with the crate. If a person can go into the crate and be playful with the dog offer that up.

Bkeepr

fill a Kong toy with kibble and seal it with peanut butter, then leave it in the crate for the dog to work on. Leave the crate door open. Sit near the crate. If I am near my dogs' crates they just go in and lay down. Their crates are a safe haven for them.

GeorgiaGlockMan

fill a Kong toy with kibble and seal it with peanut butter, then leave it in the crate for the dog to work on. Leave the crate door open. Sit near the crate. If I am near my dogs' crates they just go in and lay down. Their crates are a safe haven for them.
I send my dogs to "lockdown" and they go lay in the crate for a while with the door open. It's an honor system but sometimes they don't have none.

The crate can't feel like punishment or they'll never want to get in there.