Crating a dog at night

Ugahunter2013

I have a 6mo old GWP. I try to keep him in a large crate at night, especially when its cold. Originally I would put a dog bed in the crate, but he would destroy it and it would end up stinking to high heavens. I changed over to cedar chips and it seemed to be working good. He doesn’t try to make a mess and he likes going in there when I tell him to kennel. However, I think he is peeing in the crate, which confuses me because I did not think dogs would do this. I can’t smell it (because of the cedar aroma i’m sure), but I noticed that the chips were damp in an area when I put him up tonight. Typically, when I put him up at night he is sleeping on the fromt porch with my lab, and he goes straight from sleeping to the crate. Do you think he is peeing in the crate because I am not making him pee before I crate him, or what? Just wondering if anybody has any tips. He is typically only in crate from 11pm ish to 5:30 am ish. So not very long

Duff

He needs to go before he kennels, for sure. But, sounds like the kennel may be to large. They need, barely enough room to turn around. Found this out the hard way.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
yep. Kennel to big.

You should potty him before you put him in the kennel. I would start putting him in the kennel during the day or early evening for a few hours, let him out to potty, and then back in the kennel. After a while, with the right size kennel, he will learn to wait until you let him out, and he will learn to let you know if he needs out before morning too.

NCMTNHunter

I think just getting him up and making him move around and go pee before you crate him will probably fix it.

If you can, try not to let him have any water after about 6:00. Then make sure he pees before you put him up for last time.

My GWP is 10 months and I still have to go out with her and make sure she pees. If I just turn her out she will get busy chasing critters and won't go. I take her to her place in the yard and watch her go before I crate her for the night.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
At six months, he's still learning to control himself. I am surprised this hasn't been mentioned, so here goes....

Before bedtime, take the pup outside, and take a leak with him.

It won't take five trips, and he'll know what he's out there for, and he'll think since you whizz outside, he should too.

It works.

hawkeye123

At six months, he's still learning to control himself. I am surprised this hasn't been mentioned, so here goes....

It won't take five trips, and he'll know what he's out there for, and he'll think since you whizz outside, he should too.

It works.
That's what I've been doing for a while..right in my front yard! Don't go to neighbors side lol...thought I was only one doing this

Rebel's Dad

Along with making sure there's time outside before crating, a handy rule of thumb is that a young dog can hold it for about an hour for each month of age. In my experience this seems to be about right until the dog is an adult at around a year or so.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member

It works.
This !

Blackston

Routine routine routine