Crawfish Farm Progress...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Cool! When you sending me a half-bushel? :)

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Purty bugs! They`ll be delicious.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Are you having any predator issues?

Mexican Squealer

Are you having any predator issues?

I definitely have a bunch of birds, minks, otters and coons that have a taste for crawfish. I pumped up my ponds an extra 6” a couple of weeks ago and it seems to have discouraged the wading birds. Definitely see crawfish parts in critter scat around the ponds. Still don’t know enough about it to know how big the lose to predation will be though.

Buddrow

I definitely have a bunch of birds, minks, otters and coons that have a taste for crawfish. I pumped up my ponds an extra 6” a couple of weeks ago and it seems to have discouraged the wading birds. Definitely see crawfish parts in critter scat around the ponds. Still don’t know enough about it to know how big the lose to predation will be though.
A couple of good dogs should help scare a few things away. Failing that maybe a fence. Or a electric fence. Depending on how serious you are.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Interesting thread, I hope it goes well for your effirts.

greg_n_clayton

Is this same topic that was talked way back of now ? I was wondering....how long does it take to raise em out ? Do they reproduce naturally in the pond ? How long does that take ?

Mexican Squealer

Greg,
Yep I tried to find that thread and couldn’t. Takes the crawfish about 3 months from birth to market size usually. They burrow up when I dry out the ponds. The females have hundreds of babies in the burrow and they all emerge when I flood in Sept/October. There will also be some reproduction at different times throughout the normal flooded periods as well.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Don,t know where your located ..you might fine a local trapper and do a trade .trappers got to eat also.