Critters from the surf..

skiff20

If all little scallops are the ones, normally called bay scallops, then are the big scallops, normally called sea scallops, really stingrays or skates?

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
If all little scallops are the ones, normally called bay scallops, then are the big scallops, normally called sea scallops, really stingrays or skates?
All depends on where one gets them. If from a federally regulated store, 50/50 they are scallops. From a seaside restaurant or roadside stand.. 100% not.

skiff20

All depends on where one gets them. If from a federally regulated store, 50/50 they are scallops. From a seaside restaurant or roadside stand.. 100% not.
Well that is good to know. I don't really know what a federally regulated store is, but the only place I have ever had the big ones is from a restaurant or a roadside store on the coast. They were good but cost a zillion dollars a pound, stingrays, not so much. Thanks for the info. P.S. I don't really care if this is fact or opinion, I feel sure that most if not all of the ones I bought at the seafood store on the coast are probably fake sea scallops.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Well that is good to know. I don't really know what a federally regulated store is, but the only place I have ever had the big ones is from a restaurant or a roadside store on the coast. They were good but cost a zillion dollars a pound, stingrays, not so much. Thanks for the info. P.S. I don't really care if this is fact or opinion, I feel sure that most if not all of the ones I bought at the seafood store on the coast are probably fake sea scallops.
Federally regulated.. Kroger, Publix, etc.

GTMODawg

BANNED

If they ain't they ought to be....sting rays are good! I have always heard that but I know for certain that stingrays are good. There is also a lot of calamari sold around the world that is obviously ray....long solid chunks instead of tubes. Still good in my opinion.

GTMODawg

BANNED
It is might near impossible to make certain the fish you are buying is what it is said to be. I read somewhere once that world wide it was the biggest counterfiet activity of all time and it ain't close. Given that most of it tastes pretty good I don't mind and if all they sold was actually what it was called the prices would be such that most people couldn't eat much of any of it.....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Not the first time I've heard that...

Was sitting in a Greyhound depot in Connecticut in 1978, and an old (younger than
I am now :LOL:) guy sat on the bench, just down from me. He struck up a conversation, said he was a retired commercial fisherman. Asked if I liked scallops, "Sure, they're great.:rolleyes:". He leaned a bit closer and said, "if you ever get a scallop bigger than a dime, bigger'n your thumbnail, it ain't a scallop."

He said they'd catch skates and rays, nail em to a board, and use pipes with one end sharpened--wider pipe for bigger scallops, narrower pipe for smaller scallops. Smack end of pipe with a mallet, then run a dowel down the pipe, and out come a pile of scallops.

I don't see why the guy would have made that up, to tell some hung-over college kid--who he'd never see again--sitting in a bus depot.
He didn't make it up, except that he's wrong about all the bigger scallops being rays. Some are sold as scallops that aren't, I'm sure, but I'd say the vast majority of big sea scallops for sale are actually scallops. As for the method he described, that's exactly how my buddy does it.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313

cuda67bnl

Rays taste similar to scallops. But the meats are easily distinguishable by looking at it. Other fish, not so much.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I have a buddy who punches "scallops" out of the big ones with a sharpened steel pipe.
We've done that. Good eats for sure, but it just aint worth the trouble of cleaning them. Lots of work. H22 nailed it to a bench and took of the skin. Then cut "scallops" out of the wings.