Crossbow alligator setup

Bigtimber

Need a diy crossbow/bowfishing set up. Got a crossbow....just need form ideas for arrow....tip type and cord set up. Anyone got any ideas? Doesn't seem to be alot of info online except buy this big expensive kit. Thanks

Hunter/Mason

Buy your arrows and tips from tracker jacks. I bought a gator Aider from him as well for my crossbow when my wife drew hers. It’s ok but not near as good as a bow. But we found out you can coil your line in a small bucket leaving the float outside of the bucket and it works good and follow up shots are faster this way as well.

Last edited:

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
AMS sells a crossbow setup I think. Crossbows and compound bows are underwhelming for gators though. Use a harpoon or a big snatch hook.

watermedic

AMS sells a crossbow setup I think. Crossbows and compound bows are underwhelming for gators though. Use a harpoon or a big snatch hook.
There sure are a bunch of gators taken with archery equipment for you to make that statement!

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
There sure are a bunch of gators taken with archery equipment for you to make that statement!

I didn’t say they don’t work, I said they are underwhelming. Snatching a big treble hook into a 12 footer and holding on tight is some fun brother. Leave the buoys and boat fenders at the house and tug one to the boat green. Fun stuff. Wish I coulda gone this year. After the election, when COVID disappears, it’ll take 7 or 8 points to get a Zone 2 tag.

Hunter/Mason

Between me and family and friends this will be my 10th year in a row. This year is my tag zone 2. And I’m taking the bow and crossbow as backup only. After last year with rods and hooks only. It’s definitely the way to go. Way way more range w a rod than bow or cross bow. And way more fun. We had 3 tags in my boat last year and ended up w an 8’ and 2 almost 8’. Only had 2 days so so we couldn’t get real picky trying to fill tags. I will try and be very picky this time as it’s my 3rd tag and will probably be a while before it’s my turn again. If your dead set on bow or crossbow the bucket deal is the cheapest and it works unless you rush loading the bucket you will have a wad of line come out. Practice this I the yard till you get it right.

Bigtimber

I was looking at this....not sure why it wouldnt work with a crossbow as well....with a 90 degree mount and some tweeking....but maybe I got it allllllll wrong. Lil late to the game getting my ducks in a row with the crossbow deal. This will be my third go of it. First year 7 foot.....last time lost a good one at the boat and came up empty. This year want to add the crossbow....hard going basicly by yourself sometimes. Having fun though.....just things get expensive.

FREEDOM22

I was looking at this....not sure why it wouldnt work with a crossbow as well....with a 90 degree mount and some tweeking....but maybe I got it allllllll wrong. Lil late to the game getting my ducks in a row with the crossbow deal. This will be my third go of it. First year 7 foot.....last time lost a good one at the boat and came up empty. This year want to add the crossbow....hard going basicly by yourself sometimes. Having fun though.....just things get expensive.

basically close to what I PM'd you

Bigtimber

If your dead set on bow or crossbow the bucket deal is the cheapest and it works unless you rush loading the bucket you will have a wad of line come out. Practice this I the yard till you get it right.

#############################################

It’s ok but not near as good as a bow. But we found out you can coil your line in a small bucket leaving the float outside of the bucket and it works good and follow up shots are faster this way as well.[/QUOTE]

#############################################

Thanks...what exactly do ya'll do with the bucket deal? Small 2 gallon one? Angle it? Coil it in there any special way? ANy details appreciated.

Trying to figure maybe a float... cylinder shaped float that is hard and slick on the outside now to try wrapping it like the sewer pipe in video.....cant figure what to use. All that with the video posted on this tread seems like it would be easier if the pipe WAS the float. Like a crab pod float cone float like this https://www.amazon.com/KUFA-Sports-Crab-Trap-Float/dp/B00N767QE2 but wrap the cord around the float and attach it directly to that.

Cant be soft or textured foam though...got to be a hard smooth shell....similar idea to the discontinued green muzzy gator kit floats....like it this picture... https://forums.floridasportsman.com...-crossbow-and-floats-rigged-for-gator-hunting.

Seems like someone would come up with a float like that....low budget type setup. Mounted on a rod so it slips off... like most systems but with a small piece of velcro on back to "hold" it....instead of twisting it in place on a course threaded rod....that seemed like a BAD idea...and all those retriever reel crossbow kits looks like a monstrosity on the end of a crossbow to me lol....but Im sure they work well for some with that type budget.

Thanks for all advice.

Last edited: