Crossbow bolt help needed

Shadow11

I bought a new barnett raptor fx3 crossbow from a guy on eBay last week. It arrived a couple days ago. It's a low end crossbow, but I really like it so far. It came with two 20" barnett head hunter bolts. I shot it about 30 times at 25 yards and it's very consistent. I also ordered some cheap 20" no name bolts from amazon $25 for a dozen). They are junk. I can't shoot nearly the same group with those as I can with the barnett bolts.

I moved the target out to 50 yards this morning. I could hit a baseball sized circle 9 out 10 times with the barnett bolts, but only about 3 out of 10 with the cheapos, so they definitely won't work. The cheapest I've seen those same barnett bolts is about 45.00 a half dozen. If that's what it takes I'll buy some, but wanted to check here first. Anybody have a better recommendation?

280 Man

Banned
I bought a new barnett raptor fx3 crossbow from a guy on eBay last week. It arrived a couple days ago. It's a low end crossbow, but I really like it so far. It came with two 20" barnett head hunter bolts. I shot it about 30 times at 25 yards and it's very consistent. I also ordered some cheap 20" no name bolts from amazon $25 for a dozen). They are junk. I can't shoot nearly the same group with those as I can with the barnett bolts.

I moved the target out to 50 yards this morning. I could hit a baseball sized circle 9 out 10 times with the barnett bolts, but only about 3 out of 10 with the cheapos, so they definitely won't work. The cheapest I've seen those same barnett bolts is about 45.00 a half dozen. If that's what it takes I'll buy some, but wanted to check here first. Anybody have a better recommendation?

The arrows are under spine. You need a stiffer arrow for your bow..If you think they shoot badly now wait until you put broadheads on the arrows! With that said, get in touch with Jerry at Tapp-nation.com...Ive been shooting his custom arrows, Spynal Tapps for 6-7 years now. He will build you some of the VERY BEST arrows available!

You may also call him.. 813-545 0754

ddd-shooter

Use what works and (no offense) don’t try to be too cheap about it. Look for sales of course, but you already know what works. Why mess with it?

Shadow11

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I struggled mightily with the same issue. I FOUND a head hunter bolt with a nap broadhead on it. I cleaned it up and It shot true! after buying a box, they are the best “low end” bolts I’ve tried.......and I’ve tried everything in the Walmart boxes. The Waddell signature bone collectors are also good and what I used to kill my first deer with mine. I have two boxes of head hunters and they are in my quiver......
I have to mention though, I put new strings (60x) on mine and I think that was part of my problem.......I shot mine a bunch!

transfixer

I wouldn't want to spend that much money on Barnett bolts, if you want bolts for unparalleled accuracy and consistency, buy some Black Eagle Executioner bolts, the ones guaranteed straight to within .001 , it will be the best money you have spent, they also can be found on Amazon prime.

shdw633

I wouldn't want to spend that much money on Barnett bolts, if you want bolts for unparalleled accuracy and consistency, buy some Black Eagle Executioner bolts, the ones guaranteed straight to within .001 , it will be the best money you have spent, they also can be found on Amazon prime.

I've lost too many bolts to pay that much for them, including Bloodsport which was supposed to be .001 and I didn't find them to shoot any better or worst than my Headhunters...which, I am to understand, are built by Easton.

transfixer

I've lost too many bolts to pay that much for them, including Bloodsport which was supposed to be .001 and I didn't find them to shoot any better or worst than my Headhunters...which, I am to understand, are built by Easton.

All I know is I can't shoot at the same spot more than once on a target out to 30yds, or else I risk hitting the previous bolt, and I never had that problem with barnett bolts or carbon express bolts

shdw633

All I know is I can't shoot at the same spot more than once on a target out to 30yds, or else I risk hitting the previous bolt, and I never had that problem with barnett bolts or carbon express bolts

Cant' say I have every used a carbon express bolt so I can't comment on them but I have robin hooded my share of Headhunters, that's not to say I also haven't had my share of flyers but they have been few and far between and are generally just 3 or 4 inches off at that.

transfixer

I have shot headhunters, and carbon express piledrivers, and some other brand I can't remember, I just took a cue from some of the guys over on crossbowtalk, and ordered the executioners, they were cheaper when I ordered them a couple years ago, I want to say $36 or $38 dollars for 6, 20inch, .001 bolts, they have short vanes, maybe 2 1/2 in or so, I was simply amazed how straight they flew, and that was with a cheap Centerpoint Sniper 370.

BowanaLee

Call Jerry at Tapp-nation.com and order the lower priced Black Eagle Executioner's. Order them spine indexed, spine and weight sorted. You'll then own a precision arrow capable of long range grouping. I have a ram spine tester. I index and build my own arrows from raw shaft. That being said, I've owned 6-7 Barnett xbows including several raptors and every one, had what I call the famous Barnett design flaw. The string does not align with the center of the nock. It'll group good with field points but will probably not with broadheads, especially fixed heads. Whats happening is, the string is pushing off the bottom lip of the moon nock and jumping up into the valley of the nock causing erratic flight. Carefully cock and load your Raptor. With a light, look and see if your string is in the valley of the nock. Bear and PSE had the same problem. I went to my local proshop and tried nock string fit until I found one that was perfect. The ONLY lower priced xbow I found in that shop was a Wicked Ridge Ranger x2. It was the only Wicked Ridge in the shop so I can't speak for the rest. This pic should explain it. So, even if you have a precision arrow you may not have a xbow capable of making good shots ? Barnett could easily fix this problem. They know about it, I made sure of that. All they have to do is widen the rail slit and that would lower the arrow. They refuse. My little and slow Wicked Ridge Ranger will group Muzzy fixed heads on a grape fruit at 70 yds, golf ball at 40 and a quarter at 20.

Attachments

• IMG_1715.jpg moon nock edited.jpg
    IMG_1715.jpg moon nock edited.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Shadow11

What I don't get is when I searched barnett headhunter bolts on eBay, you will get titles like ...barnett headhunter crossbow bolts "by bear archery" of "by easton" or "by victory free". The ones I ordered from Amazon look exactly the same as the 2 bolts that came with the bow, and it said "by barnett" after the title. They'll be here tomorrow. Hopefully they're the same, because the 2 that came with are spot on.

Looks like my biggest worry is going to be finding the right broadhead. I tried a couple of old broad heads this morning that I found in a drawer. One was a 3 blade fixed, and the other a 4 blade. First shot with 3 blade was dead on. 2nd shot was 4 inches right at 25 yards. First shot with 4 blade was 5 inches right and 3 high. Anyway, those are definitely not going to work. I ordered a 3 pack of G5 Montec broad heads. I don't know anything about em but they have good reviews from other crossbow shooters. I'll find out tomorrow.

Shadow11

Call Jerry at Tapp-nation.com and order the lower priced Black Eagle Executioner's. Order them spine indexed, spine and weight sorted. You'll then own a precision arrow capable of long range grouping. I have a ram spine tester. I index and build my own arrows from raw shaft. That being said, I've owned 6-7 Barnett xbows including several raptors and every one, had what I call the famous Barnett design flaw. The string does not align with the center of the nock. It'll group good with field points but will probably not with broadheads, especially fixed heads. Whats happening is, the string is pushing off the bottom lip of the moon nock and jumping up into the valley of the nock causing erratic flight. Carefully cock and load your Raptor. With a light, look and see if your string is in the valley of the nock. Bear and PSE had the same problem. I went to my local proshop and tried nock string fit until I found one that was perfect. The ONLY lower priced xbow I found in that shop was a Wicked Ridge Ranger x2. It was the only Wicked Ridge in the shop so I can't speak for the rest. This pic should explain it. So, even if you have a precision arrow you may not have a xbow capable of making good shots ? Barnett could easily fix this problem. They know about it, I made sure of that. All they have to do is widen the rail slit and lower the arrow. They refuse.

Interesting info. Thanks

280 Man

Banned
What I don't get is when I searched barnett headhunter bolts on eBay, you will get titles like ...barnett headhunter crossbow bolts "by bear archery" of "by easton" or "by victory free". The ones I ordered from Amazon look exactly the same as the 2 bolts that came with the bow, and it said "by barnett" after the title. They'll be here tomorrow. Hopefully they're the same, because the 2 that came with are spot on.

Looks like my biggest worry is going to be finding the right broadhead. I tried a couple of old broad heads this morning that I found in a drawer. One was a 3 blade fixed, and the other a 4 blade. First shot with 3 blade was dead on. 2nd shot was 4 inches right at 25 yards. First shot with 4 blade was 5 inches right and 3 high. Anyway, those are definitely not going to work. I ordered a 3 pack of G5 Montec broad heads. I don't know anything about em but they have good reviews from other crossbow shooters. I'll find out tomorrow.

IMO, you are going to find out that your issue with those other broad heads flying four and five inches right, left is a arrow spine problem. Any weak spine arrow, for the most part will fly well a mechanical head or field points!

If you are chasing your problem by buying different broad heads it is going to be an expensive endeavor and I doubt you will find anything outside of a mechanical that is going to work!

BowanaLee

IMO, you are going to find out that your issue with those other broad heads flying four and five inches right, left is a arrow spine problem. Any weak spine arrow, for the most part will fly well a mechanical head or field points!

If you are chasing your problem by buying different broad heads it is going to be an expensive endeavor and I doubt you will find anything outside of a mechanical that is going to work!

That may not be a weak or stiff spine issue ? Non indexed arrows act the same way. When flexed, every carbon shaft has a stiff and weak side. Finding the stiff side, marking it and fletching the mark between your hen vanes is called indexing shafts. All your arrows should then group in the same general area. Thats after you find an arrow with the correct spine for your poundage. Just a thought ?

280 Man

Banned
That may not be a weak or stiff spine issue ? Non indexed arrows act the same way. When flexed, every carbon shaft has a stiff and weak side. Finding the stiff side, marking it and fletching the mark between your hen vanes is called indexing shafts. All your arrows should then group in the same general area. Thats after you find an arrow with the correct spine for your poundage. Just a thought ?

I know all about spine indexing and matching. All my crossbow arrows have been indexed and I have some that have been spine and weight matched as well.

I have tried many different crossbow arrows and IMO, you cannot use an arrow that has too much spine in a crossbow unless it a rail-less model, such as the Ravin but you can certainly use a too weak spine arrow indexed or not!

You hit the nail on the head. You must find the correct spine for your crossbow but Im not aware of any standardized spine chart for crossbow arrows like they are with vertical bow arrows.

I use Spynal Tapp arrows, which are made by Black Eagle, and they, along with Zombie Slayers are some of the stiffest arrows you can buy and I have no issues with any fixed blades or mechanicals.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I just pick me up a few at Walmart after deer season is over on sale. They seem to work fine for me

Shadow11

Good info from all of you guys. I appreciate it. I'm guessing the reason that barnett includes those 2 bolts with crossbow, is that they have already been tested for all those issues. Not sure, just guessing. I figured I should try to get the exact match.

Those g5 broadheads came in early this morning, but the bolts will be later. I took one broadhead and put it on the better of the 2 barnett bolts that I have. I shot it 10 times at 25 yards.

The blades and the fletching weren't even close to being aligned with each other. I just wanted to see how consistent it would be like that.

It's not terrible. I was resting on top of a fence post, so I was a bit wobbly. After the first 3 shots, I thought this is going to be real pain, but all 10 ended up within 3.5 inches. I'd like it to be better than that, but
I think that's a good start. Still a lot to do, but I think I have something that I can work with.Screenshot_2020-07-13-11-55-19.png