Crossbow Bolts?

blackbear

I tried 4 different bolts yesterday.the lightest weight 385Gr.,400,425 and the heaviest weigh 435gr.
2 bolts constantly shot excellent,iam going to put them up for hunting.The other 2 shot ok but went a little right or a little left about every shot.
2 of the bolts were the same except one had a lighted nock that weighs 35gr. and the other just a plastic nock.The arrow with the lighted nock shot perfect every time and was dead on the bullseye weighing 435gr.
Do you guys shoot and test each bolt that you hunt with or just have faith that it will fly correctly?

blackbear

Tried the 125 thunderhead and 90gr.muzzy at 40 yards and hit waayyy Loowww.
Up close to 25 yards no problems.
Will try something else.
Anyone tried the montec g5?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I shoot those high dollar Bolts from Wally world..........Like $7 each. My Apocalypse shoots as good as I will allow it. Those bolts are stiff, carbon and I didnt shed a tear when I lost one trying to shoot uphill to a 60 yard target...........It buried just below the target never to be found.
Son and I were shooting it this afternoon......we didnt have a chance to go past 20 yards, but it is dead on! I still need to shoot it from a tree though. I have replaced some of the fletchings with those blazer quick veins..........All This stuff is certainly capable of exceeding my skill level.

Joe EC

FOC is much more important that overall weight, provided you are at or above the manufacturers minimum (400 gr.). IMHO.
I try to only shoot 125 gr. broadheads on 400 gr. arrows. I can and do, spine match and index all of my arrows so my quiver has matching arrows. I refletch if needed to index the spine. I also check for runout.

A few years ago my son did a science presentation where he shot 3 arrows at 30 yards with all variables the same only changing from a 75 gr tip to a 100 gr to a 125 gr.
The 75 gr. tip had a group of 1.875", the 100 gr. tip group was .875", the 125 gr. group was .437".
I won't pay more than $4 an arrow.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I was at Wally World last night and the black max bolts were on clearance for $4.50 each. Don’t know weight but they are really stiff....not even sure if that’s good or not. They were $7.42 each before sale. I got 3 =0) This is my first season with a crossbow so I am in experimental mode so to speak. I am shooting 100gr tips and not sure about anything else other than they are 20" long =0)

blackbear

Let us know how they shoot,the piledrivers have shot best #1for me so far.
I have a poke sack full of 125gr.thunderheads and really wanted them to fly true in my pse but they were the wildest shooting and very low dropping head i have tested.The 125gr. Was so bad,i will not even try anymore. Its going to be 100gr.heads only for me now.
One of my hunting partners with years of crossbow hunting swears the Rage type open up on contact broadheads are the way to go.Iam going to try them next and the muzzys,slick tricks and Ramcats....

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Let us know how they shoot,the piledrivers have shot best #1for me so far.
I have a poke sack full of 125gr.thunderheads and really wanted them to fly true in my pse but they were the wildest shooting and very low dropping head i have tested.The 125gr. Was so bad,i will not even try anymore. Its going to be 100gr.heads only for me now.
One of my hunting partners with years of crossbow hunting swears the Rage type open up on contact broadheads are the way to go.Iam going to try them next and the muzzys,slick tricks and Ramcats....

Never heard that before. Last thing I read indicated the heavier ones flew better. I have 100grain heads too.....they fly great!

ssramage

I picked up a few Piledrivers at Academy to test out last night. My plan is to pair them with the 100gr Grim Reaper xbow broadhead. I used to shoot the GR Whitetail Specials out of my compound bow and they were pretty devastating.

Joe EC

Drop is really irrelevant. That's why we sight in at different distances. I used to shoot Easton XX75 aluminum arrows with 125 gr. tips weighted with brass washers up to 140 grains. That's 485 gr. Flew great. At 60 yards easily put 3 in a 3" circle. Get the FOC up and the groups will shrink.

Shonswer

I purchased a pack of 3 arrows from Summit Archery Products on Amazon and on Christmas day I shot each of these arrows approx 5 times and the fletching/vane came off 2 of the arrows. I had 3 other arrows from Tenpoint that came with the crossbow and they performed fine. I exchanged these 3 arrows for 3 more of the same product and had the same issue after about 3-5 shots the fletching fell off one of the arrows. I then returned the arrows and received a refund. Unfortunately, if the bolts are cheap it doesn't always mean good...

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Walmart has all their bolts on sale except the Barnett Headhunters and those are what I use...and the bone collector ones.