Crossbow Bug

South Man

A few points:
1) they might become necessary for something besides hunting:wink:

2) I didn't "just" become interested in an xbow

3) When POTUS Harris puts a 5 buck a round tax on rifle ammo you're (or I should say we) are gonna be paying in the neighbor hood of $125+ for a box of bullets

I've been looking real hard at the W.R. Blackhawk 360 tonight. Very interesting.
That bow will be a great choice!

tell sackett

That bow will be a great choice!

Yeah, it checks a lot of boxes for me. It's in my budget range ($360 at sportsmans guide), not great but good speed and kinetic energy, a pretty good scope to start with at least, and a draw weight I can live with. I will apparently have to spend a little more on noise suppression, but I can live with that. There are some others I almost pulled the trigger on, but the 185-205 pound draw weights worry me. I'm 62, I've had rotator cuff surgery, neck fusion, and ol' arthir' has set up housekeeping.:biggrin3:

Unless I see something that really just looks head and shoulders above this one I think this may be the one.

Taco4x4

There are many good Xbows just like other bows! Just make sure you get a good scope or it won’t matter. It’s the most important part of the gig! The Nikon Bolt XR is the best value in my opinion.
I agree with you but the bolt XR has been replaced with the newer model Prostaff P3 which I have and really like it. I have it on my Barnett Raptor FX. I have had it for six years with no issues. Taken seven bucks and a Yote with it. No need to add string dampener or silencers on a crossbow unless you plan on shooting past 40 yards. My Raptor is kind a loud but at only 330 fps I have never had a deer jump the trigger. It is sticking in the ground on his other side before he hears it.

Hunter922

We have a couple of Ghost 420's.. They are one of if not the most lethal weapon I've hunted deer with. Multiple deer ( like 15) never made it past 25 yards. They are killing machines..

Rich M

Good day gentlemen(even if it has been a pretty nasty one)
I'm looking for advice from guys who know a lot more about the subject than I do, which would basically is all of you 'cause I don't know nuttin'.

I've kicked around the idea of buying a crossbow for several years but never have. Now with the ammo situation being like it is I've got the bug pretty bad. I'm going to get one but something like a Ravin or 10 Point is not happening. I really want to stay below $400 for the package. I know I'll have to upgrade on the bolts and most likely the scope and buy broadheads(I'll be back for that:LOL:), but for now I'm looking for opinions on bows.

Right now I'm leaning towards either a PSE Fang or one of the Barnetts. I started off looking at Centerpoint and Killer instinct bows but I'm kinda backing away from them. Any advice on picking a good reasonably priced bow would be appreciated.

Thanks

I got a Centerpoint after doing the research - there are a ton of guys who say they are the best thing since sliced bread. I've only shot mine a handful of times - got it zeroed out to 50 yards in about 10 minutes, including walking back and forth to the target and struggling to get the bolts out of the layered cardboard target.

My wife's x-bow is a Horton. I shot a deer with the Horton but nothing with the Centerpoint just yet.

tell sackett

Yeah, I came real close to going with the CP, it's a lot of bow for the money. The draw weight was the main thing that finally kept me from it. I'm old and broke down, I can cock the Blackhawk with the rope, but that's pretty close to my limit. I read in several places that you have to do some work on the CP to quieten down the stock, it was described as clunky. What have you found out?

I haven't even finished buying all the stuff I need to get ready to hunt this year and I'm already thinking about a second bowfacepalm::biggrin2:. One of the CPs with a crank could be a good choice(and I wouldn't have to fool with alpha nocks!:banginghe ).

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Yeah, I came real close to going with the CP, it's a lot of bow for the money. The draw weight was the main thing that finally kept me from it. I'm old and broke down, I can cock the Blackhawk with the rope, but that's pretty close to my limit. I read in several places that you have to do some work on the CP to quieten down the stock, it was described as clunky. What have you found out?

I haven't even finished buying all the stuff I need to get ready to hunt this year and I'm already thinking about a second bowfacepalm::biggrin2:. One of the CPs with a crank could be a good choice(and I wouldn't have to fool with alpha nocks!:banginghe ).
I have a CP and love it . And yes the stock is junk . I got mine set where I wanted it and a little red neck engineering fixed it right up . It isn’t adjustable anymore but it’s quite

tell sackett

Ain't nothin wrong with a little engineering:rockon:. How's the trigger on a CP?

BowanaLee

I’d go with wicked ridge too. Barnett’s have a design flaw. You never know if you’ll get a dud and they will not replace it. They don’t consider it broken but it will not group broadheads. It’s in the string nock contact. Always slide an arrow in and look for this flaw when you buy. Several manufactures have this same design flaw. The string jumps into the valley of the nock at the shot causing erratic broad head flight. Of course it not as noticeable with field points and mechanicals but it’s still there.

Attachments

• 4DC58D26-BDFD-4FFB-BD57-99306BCBE661.jpeg
    4DC58D26-BDFD-4FFB-BD57-99306BCBE661.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 11

Shadow11

I was kind of like you before last season started. I wanted something around 400 or less. The best reviews I found was for the Barnett Raptor fx3. I bought one online that came with a couple of Barnett headhunter bolts. They shot great with field points.

I ended up experimenting with a couple of different bolts, and a few different broadheads. I ended up settling on this...

-Barnett Raptor FX3 crossbow
-Barnett headhunter bolts
-Rage crossbow x, (2-blade mechanicals)

I also added some limb silencers. I made one shot with it last year, and got a clean pass through. Large entry and exit hole with the rage mechanicals. I hit him higher than I should have, but it was my fault... not the bow. I can't complain about this set-up.

Entry hole
20201109_074150.jpg20201109_144404.jpg

tell sackett

I was kind of like you before last season started. I wanted something around 400 or less. The best reviews I found was for the Barnett Raptor fx3. I bought one online that came with a couple of Barnett headhunter bolts. They shot great with field points.

I ended up experimenting with a couple of different bolts, and a few different broadheads. I ended up settling on this...

-Barnett Raptor FX3 crossbow
-Barnett headhunter bolts
-Rage crossbow x, (2-blade mechanicals)

I also added some limb silencers. I made one shot with it last year, and got a clean pass through. Large entry and exit hole with the rage mechanicals. I hit him higher than I should have, but it was my fault... not the bow. I can't complain about this set-up.

Entry hole
View attachment 1063340View attachment 1063341

Nice!

I’d go with wicked ridge too. Barnett’s have a design flaw. You never know if you’ll get a dud and they will not replace it. They don’t consider it broken but it will not group broadheads. It’s in the string nock contact. Always slide an arrow in and look for this flaw when you buy. Several manufactures have this same design flaw. The string jumps into the valley of the nock at the shot causing erratic broad head flight. Of course it not as noticeable with field points and mechanicals but it’s still there.

Yeah, I really like this bow, it's a load of fun to shoot. It's real hard to go wrong with that package for a little under 400 bucks to your door. My one complaint so far is alpha nocks. I don't doubt that they're very good nocks, but if you want to buy different arrows you tack on another 2 bucks per arrow just to change nocks.:banginghe

Rich M

Had my 80 yo dad out for xbow this year. He was able to use the assist rope and cock both the CP and the Horton. The issue with doing that is the length of the cocking rope, decided to tie a knot and shorten it, worked better that way.

Those crank things are way neat.

Buckhead

Just recently jumped into the crossbow pond myself. Kind of went a different direction than most and went with an Excalibur Axe 340 - recurve style crossbow. After owning compound bows for 30+ years, wanted something simple. No constant tinkering, tuning, trips to the bow shop, etc... Not much that can go wrong that you can’t fix yourself. Carry a spare string, no worries.

Performance wise, actually shoots faster than the advertised 340. 346 FPS over my chrono with the stock 350 gr arrows. Plenty fast, 50 yard shots not a problem. (Speaking of speed, be aware that most crossbows don’t hit claimed velocity) Also, fairly quiet, nice trigger, very accurate. Absolutely no regrets.

Last edited:

tell sackett

Just recently jumped into the crossbow pond myself. Kind of went a different direction than most and went with an Excalibur Axe 340 - recurve style crossbow. After owning compound bows for 30+ years, wanted something simple. No constant tinkering, tuning, trips to the bow shop, etc... Not much that can go wrong that you can’t fix yourself. Carry a spare string, no worries.

Performance wise, actually shoots faster than the advertised 340. 346 FPS over my chrono with the stock 350 gr arrows. Plenty fast, 50 yard shots not a problem. (Speaking of speed, be aware that most crossbows don’t hit claimed velocity) Also, fairly quiet, nice trigger, very accurate. Absolutely no regrets.

Lotta folks will agree with you on the Excal

shdw633

My buddy has an Excalibur and he has to twist his string every season to get his bow tuned up. Don't get me wrong that's not much to have to do but don't forget to check it every season to insure everything lines up for you. I am not a fan of the weight of the xbow but I do like that you can repair and get back in the field a lot easier than with a wheeled crossbow. I do carry two xbows when I go out west just in case a string or cable breaks on me I have a backup.

Buckhead

My buddy has an Excalibur and he has to twist his string every season to get his bow tuned up. Don't get me wrong that's not much to have to do but don't forget to check it every season to insure everything lines up for you. I am not a fan of the weight of the xbow but I do like that you can repair and get back in the field a lot easier than with a wheeled crossbow. I do carry two xbows when I go out west just in case a string or cable breaks on me I have a backup.

Not sure what string your buddy has, but he might want to look into a replacement. Shouldn’t stretch like that. Any stretching generally occurs right after installation, is minimal and stops. Never heard of one requiring more than a single twist. Owned mine for a year and shoot it a good bit, no issues with string, still on the original. As for weight, the Micro bows like mine, are fairly light. My Axe weighs just over 6lbs scoped with quiver and arrows. Not saying they are the greatest and best, but a lot to like.

Hawken2222

another vote here for Excalibur. I purchased an Excalibur Assasin TD last fall and couldn't be happier. It's good piece of mind to have the lifetime warranty and it's Good to know I can change the string out without a bow press.