Crows?

Nick_T

Banned
Never tried a PM hunt. I alternate my holes every other week to help keep the birds from catching on too quick and this allows for me hit 4 spots in the mornings in about 3 hours. From what I hear the fight set-up works pretty good in the afternoon but not quite as good as it does in the mornings. Crows are a slave to their emotions, and if they hear a fight going on and they haven't been hunted in that area they just about have to come. It's their nature, but ya ain't gonna fool them but a couple of times before they get wise and check out your set-up from altitude before moving on. You have to swap up alot and show them something different as much as ya can or they'll wise up quick.

Nick T

Buford_Dawg

WMA's

Can you crow hunt on them after the deer season ends? What are regulations on that I wonder. Are crows considered small game or what and can you use a ecaller on a WMA or must you use a manual crow call?

Nick_T

Banned
ecallers are acceptable. They have to set up a season them due to the migratory bird treaty. Season runs from the first weekend in Nov. thru the last day of Feb., but if you have crops being deprivated by them then ya can wack at'em at that site while your having the problem. I've got a few places that are waiting due to deer season, but once it goes out it's gonna be a free-for-all.

Nick T

gabowman

Buford,

Years ago me and some buds would run and gun during the summer months just to have something to do. We'd load the cooler and guns up and take off. That many years ago e-callers werent legal so we used mouth calls and just wailed away like crows being killed by something. It worked good enough to usually get a few shots at every stop. Another thing that was real nice was no hunting clubs back then so land was un-limited. The e-caller works well just it gets heavy toting it from the truck so many times.
Pick your sets in short to medium size trees with an opening so you'll have time to react when they come over you. Stand in the shade of the trees so you wont get spotted so quickly. Usuallyn the crows will be around 15 feet or so over the tops of the trees. 15'-20' high trees are ideal as long as there's some type of opening so you have room for the shots as they are presented. Take the shots presented. Act as though no trees are in your way, Swing on the birds and let 'em have it cause the chances of getting them to come back are rare with fight calls. The gig is usually up once they fly over and see NOTHING when they're expecting to see a murder of crows fighting something on the ground. I dont think there's much of an advantage trying to use decoys since it almost impossible to lug all that stuff around when usually a run and gun set doesnt last more than 10 minutes or so each. Good luck and let us know how you come out when you give it a try.

GB

Last edited: