CUCUMBER KIMCHEE

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Always wanted to try to make some, done cabbage before, it was OK, nothing like the Korean or Chinese, but absolutely love the cucumber kimchee, almost like a spicy bread and butter pickle with garlic.

Going to try a couple recipes, here's the first, hot and not as sweet.

20220703_180425.jpg

WOODIE13

Let us know how this turns out, Mel.
Will do Nic

Going to run 3 different recipes, one will be with some leftover juice from kimchee I got at the store

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Will do Nic

Going to run 3 different recipes, one will be with some leftover juice from kimchee I got at the store

I`ve always liked kraut but just tried kimchee a couple of years ago. It`s good stuff, from what storebought kinds I`ve tried. I bet homemade would e even better.

WOODIE13

They kimchee everything, radishes, turnips, seaweed, oh my.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
You done got my interest with this one...

Had a Sgt buddy when I was in the USAF whose wife was Korean. She made me like the kimchee, with a recipe from her family. She always made it, and Rick always had a big jar in the fridge at work. Hers was sweet, sour, and HOT all at the same time.

It was insanely good on a hot dog. ?

I try kimchee every time I run across it, but nothing has ever come close to the recipe Rick's wife made...

WOODIE13

You would drive by and they had kimchee factories...kimchee buried in the ground in clay pots for up to 6 months, smell was overwhelming but the tastes were pretty good, especially when mixed with 25 different servings of food

WOODIE13

You done got my interest with this one...

Had a Sgt buddy when I was in the USAF whose wife was Korean. She made me like the kimchee, with a recipe from her family. She always made it, and Rick always had a big jar in the fridge at work. Hers was sweet, sour, and HOT all at the same time.

It was insanely good on a hot dog. ?

I try kimchee every time I run across it, but nothing has ever come close to the recipe Rick's wife made...

Try around military bases at restaurants, way better than store bought

little rascal

Sounds good! I like that stuff. I made a batch before we left Georgia and Batjack said no don’t open it. Wait til u get to WVa and then try it. Well it’s still in the big Jar in the back of the Fridge. I’ve been reluctant to say the least, 2 plus years in the making!

WOODIE13

Sounds good! I like that stuff. I made a batch before we left Georgia and Batjack said no don’t open it. Wait til u get to WVa and then try it. Well it’s still in the big Jar in the back of the Fridge. I’ve been reluctant to say the least, 2 plus years in the making!
Like fine wine?

Holler at me later and we'll try it...I'll do up some deergolgi

Artfuldodger

They kimchee everything, radishes, turnips, seaweed, oh my.
Interesting, I've been looking at making some. I like the idea of using something other than cabbage just for a change. Cucumbers sounds interesting.
I sorta used it like Chow chow or Sauerkraut.

Here is one I bookmarked but haven't tried yet but I guess you could throw in some extra veggies of any sorts.

https://www.beyondkimchee.com/bean-sprout-kimchee/

WOODIE13

Interesting, I've been looking at making some. I like the idea of using something other than cabbage just for a change. Cucumbers sounds interesting.
I sorta used it like Chow chow or Sauerkraut.

Here is one I bookmarked but haven't tried yet but I guess you could throw in some extra veggies of any sorts.

https://www.beyondkimchee.com/bean-sprout-kimchee/

Had that too, really good. The sea weed was pretty good too.
It produces a good bacteria that is great for the belly also

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Man!!! Sounds good!! Never tried any of that.

WOODIE13

I’ve got cucumbers coming out my ears, maybe this is a solution. Never thought about cucumber kimchi before..,;
Ours are slow up here

WOODIE13

WOODIE13

The second recipe turned out way better and tasted more like traditional cucumber kimchee, it just had a lot more juice than I recall. Going to try English cukes next go round, probably holds less water hopefully, we will see.20220713_134420.jpg

WOODIE13

Radish is really good, never tried green onion before, bet it go well on a burger or in an omelet

Last edited: