Cull Buck?

Gunner308

Everything I have on cam this year are all symmetrical antlered deer except this fella. What do y’all think? Should he be culled or given a pass to see what he may become?

Attachments

• 7CA380C1-119E-42C4-9D6D-E32B8EF07010.jpeg
    7CA380C1-119E-42C4-9D6D-E32B8EF07010.jpeg
    680.4 KB · Views: 346

shdw633

I would pass on him. He is unique enough to be able to follow his growth throughout the years to be able to see what he turns into. He could turn into one heck of a non-typical.

biggdogg

He is old enough that he has bred some does, so "culling" him is a fruitless endeavor. If you want to shoot him, by all means, shoot him. But don't think you'll be doing the herd any favors by pulling the trigger.

delacroix

BANNED
Gonna hafta wait until it gets old to see what the antlers can do. Who cares if it dies of old age or auto crash injury. Antlers are more important than stewardship.

Riggo44

I wouldn't rush to judgement too quickly. Let him be for now. Wait until next year, see his development and make a decision then.

Jim Boyd

It has been proven - over and over and over again - that culling is of zero value.

Shoot him or not (if you even see him while hunting) but removing him from the herd will harm nor benefit the area herd in any way.

Most of the “culls” that are shot are simply excuses.

Gunner308

It has been proven - over and over and over again - that culling is of zero value.

Shoot him or not (if you even see him while hunting) but removing him from the herd will harm nor benefit the area herd in any way.

Most of the “culls” that are shot are simply excuses.
Definitely not trying to just put him down. That is whole reason behind me asking for advice. I have really good genetics on this property. He is just the odd ball. Here is one of my rising stars. Too me he is way too young to be carrying this kind of head gear. Can’t wait to see what he will be in 4 years.

Attachments

• 3292A16B-257C-4A1B-B2EF-E394A538D6A9.jpeg
    3292A16B-257C-4A1B-B2EF-E394A538D6A9.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 113
  • B876A73E-DFD1-461C-8DDC-C3CF9F9CFA2F.jpeg
    B876A73E-DFD1-461C-8DDC-C3CF9F9CFA2F.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 114

hambone76

If you wouldn’t shoot him for any other reason, let him pass. You never know what he’ll end up being with a frame like that.

ssramage

If he shows up and you want to shoot him, then shoot him. Chances are, you don't have enough property to influence the genetics of a herd anyways.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
He should be given a pass to see what he becomes unless you want to cull him.

COYOTE X

Until he's 4.5 years old, nobody can predict what he will or won't be.... Period.

With those unique and easily identifiable antler traits, give him a fitting name and enjoy watching that young deer grow up. You never know, he may become the biggest buck of your lifetime!

COYOTE X

Jim Boyd

Here is one of my rising stars. Too me he is way too young to be carrying this kind of head gear. Can’t wait to see what he will be in 4 years.

Gunner - I hope that joker turns into the next BC for ya!

I am genuinely jealous of the folks with great genetics - over in my corner of SC, they top out at 140 or so.

That ain’t quite true, however.... for my leased properties in Illinois.

?

Tight Lines

I'd let that joker get as big as can be, because I like those gnarly looking racks with character...won't help culling him anyway...so just let him get big...