Cutting the Cord: UGA Coverage?

TinKnocker

I guess this is sports related enough?

Considering cutting the cord. 90% of my tv viewing is YouTube and Peacock. It’s rare I actually use the cable channels I’m paying for…….until football season!

Those of you who have cut the cord, how do you watch the Dawgs? They air on multiple stations on any given weekend so I don’t know how to keep up with the coverage without a cable box.

Advice?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I guess this is sports related enough?

Considering cutting the cord. 90% of my tv viewing is YouTube and Peacock. It’s rare I actually use the cable channels I’m paying for…….until football season!

Those of you who have cut the cord, how do you watch the Dawgs? They air on multiple stations on any given weekend so I don’t know how to keep up with the coverage without a cable box.

Advice?

The easiest way to stream anything is with a device like ROKU. Invest in the device then pay a small fee to the streaming service that offers what you want, SEC football, IE ESPN. I watched SEC football this way working out of state. Looks like your from Atlanta, a digital antenna will capture all the local TV stations providing access when local TV covers the game. Indoor digital antennas are reasonable and small these days, look at MOHU.

Oh, ROLL TIDE!

nickel back

My wife watches more tv than I do so we have Hulu live, I think it runs like 60 bucks a month and you still have to have internet.

now if you want, you can get a fire stick, do the jail break down load kodi and watch what ever you want(still have to have internet). The down side to that is keeping kodi up dated which can be a hasel but what can you say its free.

GTMODawg

BANNED
So we bought a new house in March that has fiber to the router inside the house. We have brilliantly fast Internet and have cut the cord. We have several devices streaming or otherwise connected at all times. We have HULU ( I think it’s around $50 a month) and it has ALL ESPN channels including the SEC Network. It also has local network channels. I have been told by several neighbors that ESPN is not blacked at all during the season…..we shall see. I do know that watching the Hawks in the playoffs HULU would buffer from time to time and a couple of times we had to reset but this may have been our TVS and not our IP or HULU as it never happened on a computer. I have not watched any UGA games at this location and have the motor homes direct tv as backup but my neighbors claim they have zero problems……

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
So we bought a new house in March that has fiber to the router inside the house. We have brilliantly fast Internet and have cut the cord. We have several devices streaming or otherwise connected at all times. We have HULU ( I think it’s around $50 a month) and it has ALL ESPN channels including the SEC Network. It also has local network channels. I have been told by several neighbors that ESPN is not blacked at all during the season…..we shall see. I do know that watching the Hawks in the playoffs HULU would buffer from time to time and a couple of times we had to reset but this may have been our TVS and not our IP or HULU as it never happened on a computer. I have not watched any UGA games at this location and have the motor homes direct tv as backup but my neighbors claim they have zero problems……

We've got Hulu Live too and we have buffering issues frequently but yeah it has all the ESPN channels as well as the local broadcast channels so there's that.

TinKnocker

Thanks for the info fellas. Looking at Hulu and YoutubeTV pricing, it's not even that big of a savings. Maybe 20-30$ a month. IMO the DVR capabilities of keeping Comcast is worth that.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the info fellas. Looking at Hulu and YoutubeTV pricing, it's not even that big of a savings. Maybe 20-30$ a month. IMO the DVR capabilities of keeping Comcast is worth that.

We were paying Comcast $140/mo and they kept taking away channels. We cut the cord, got Hulu Live, got the same channels as Comcast plus more channels and since we're streaming we have access to tons more content than Comcast would provide. You can get DVR with Hulu for a little bit extra per month. I think we are paying $80/mo for Hulu and getting tons more for the money.

GTMODawg

BANNED
We've got Hulu Live too and we have buffering issues frequently but yeah it has all the ESPN channels as well as the local broadcast channels so there's that.

I suspect it gets really bad when every house in the area is streaming the same content ie college football games. I will have the RV satellite dish and receiver ready to switch over the first time it happens during the Clemson game and I will have comcast out the following week to remedy that ** LOL.....

benellisbe

I cut the cord a couple years ago. I went with YouTubeTV due to the wife being more comfortable with it. Plus I am at work most of the day so I don't particularly watch TV except College Football. I have several children, so I signed up for the Disney+ Bundle (ESPN+, Disney+ and Hulu) for $12.99 per month (I absolutely despise Disney, but it makes it easier for kids programming, especially for the 4 year old). I can watch most football on there without needing Hulu Live or YouTubeTV. If I lived closer to a major metropolitan area I could go Over the Air antenna for local channels, but I live a long way from there and would need a monstrous Yagi antenna outside to get all of my local channels in the Augusta area.

TinKnocker

We were paying Comcast $140/mo and they kept taking away channels. We cut the cord, got Hulu Live, got the same channels as Comcast plus more channels and since we're streaming we have access to tons more content than Comcast would provide. You can get DVR with Hulu for a little bit extra per month. I think we are paying $80/mo for Hulu and getting tons more for the money.
I pay 160$ for Comcast but 80$ of that is internet (we get the 500mb service since the wife and I both WFH) so I really don't save much dropping Comcast it would seem.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
The easiest way to stream anything is with a device like ROKU. Invest in the device then pay a small fee to the streaming service that offers what you want, SEC football, IE ESPN. I watched SEC football this way working out of state. Looks like your from Atlanta, a digital antenna will capture all the local TV stations providing access when local TV covers the game. Indoor digital antennas are reasonable and small these days, look at MOHU.

Like.

Oh, ROLL TIDE!

Phooey! :bounce:

kingfish

Last time I lived in a city, I used one of those indoor leaf antenna's and got a bunch of college football free, pro too. There are several websites that you can punch your zip code and they will list which stations you can pick up from strongest to weakest and which antenna you should use. Now that I live in the sticks, I don't do TV, I just listen to what ever team I want on my computer. I also bought a Crane radio with an antenna booster. I get several Florida stations and AM 870 out of New Orleans crystal clear (haven't figured that one out). Personally, I'd rather listen than watch now a days because I absolutely despise the commercials on TV.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
MOHU has taken the indoor antenna far beyond the mud flap in the window. Their designs are good looking and work.

BuckNasty83

YouTube tv was $45 a month, it is now up to $65. You can set it to record programs, has SEC network, ACC network, Big10, ESPN's and gives you access to the ESPN app on your phone. More than likely has every channel you'll want, plus the traditional additional add ons if you choose. You can also customize your channel list in any order you want, which ive never heard of and is a nice feature. Has a lot of video on demand content, both free and rentals. It's very intuitive once you figure it out. Very cool info features and search methods. Think you need a smart tv though? Not sure if roku offers YouTube tv? Probably could download it though.

They used to offer 1 week free trial.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/?utm...x95Uk5g5bePYOCx_dOPBjyvWyV4CHfLxoCRVgQAvD_BwE

Forgot to mention, you can also share with 5 other people

Last edited:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I pay 160$ for Comcast but 80$ of that is internet (we get the 500mb service since the wife and I both WFH) so I really don't save much dropping Comcast it would seem.

Our $140 was for cable alone. Our internet is AT&T fiber. Almost a 50% reduction and more content was a great deal for us.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
My 2 year contract with Comcast ends in August. Currently I am paying $130.50 a month for TV & Internet. The service is great, the price is not. I have no other Internet options in my area.

My current Comcast plan.

My XFinity Plan.JPG

I also had YouTube TV for awhile, and it was good. A friend had it and gave me an account until he canceled it and went with something else. ? I already had all the channels YouTube TV had, so it wasn't something I needed any way.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
And for those of you wo are renting modems from your service provider, quit doing that and buy your own. You could save a little on your monthly bill by doing that. If you need help finding one that'll work with your provider, ask and I'll find you one. I have my own and that saves me about $15 a month! They're still sticking it to me. But hey, I'm sticking it to them for $15 whole smackers! Winning! Okay, not really. :bounce: