cva wolf round balls

common man

Has anybody had a patch/ball/grains of powder combo they like in a modern in line muzzleloader such as a cva wolf that has a fast barrel twist for deer? The price per shot really is tempting to make it work.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
My Thompson Center Tree Hawk isn't an inline but it is 50 caliber and has a 1/20 twist barrel and I've shot patched ball in it but the faster you push it the wilder the pattern gets. Some fast twist barrels will surprise you though. Try starting out with 50 grains of 2f and go from there. If it's like mine and is inconsistent, try some of the PA conicals, Thompson Center Cheap Shots, or Traditions Plinkers. All 3 of those are cheaper than most of the jacketed sabot rounds and are a good compromise.
Or, if you're feeling brave, you can look into casting your own.

common man

I did order some pa conicals and some great plains 385 grain. Right now with my breech plug on the wolf I am using pellets but from a few things I have read it seems lighter on powder is possibly the answer like you said.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Get you some T/C Maxi hunter 350 grain conicals. Solid lead, bore diameter, work good in that twist. Hammer of Thor on deer. Put 90 grains of loose Pyrodex in there.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I did order some pa conicals and some great plains 385 grain. Right now with my breech plug on the wolf I am using pellets but from a few things I have read it seems lighter on powder is possibly the answer like you said.
Those great plains or the one that NCHillbilly mentioned will do fine.

flconch53

50 grs will not push a heavy conical with decent trajectory. The probelm with round balls in a fast twist is they will skip the rifling in a fast twist barrel. That's made worse the more powder you use. It is even a probelm with the traditional rifles that are 1-48 twist
When you are on the bench and you see 4 in the black and 1 way out that is skip. If you get a load that doesn't do that stick with it .

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There are lighter conical. TC used to sell one that was 240 grs.
Yeah, but the heavier ones work a lot better. I've tried both. I don't like the 240s nearly as much as the 350s.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I actually have played with PRB's in my T/C Omega inline. I wanted to figure out a "just in case" loading that might work.

50gr of T7 and a .490 patched ball will shoot about 3" at 50 yards.

I tried 70gr, and results were dismal.

Ball was skipping the rifling at 70gr, I'm sure. I found one ripped up patch after a 70gr shot.

The 240gr PA Conical works well in my Omega with 70-80gr of T7.