D.I.Y Kentucky Hunt

jharrel7

A group of us are heading to Land Between the Lakes on the Kentucky side 1st of November. If we can hunt then, due to the pandemic. Besides studying Google Earth, OnX, and reading a few threads online what do I need to be studying on my maps and what to cross off. I'm not asking for your spots. Just looking for general ideas to study. Such as look for ridges or pockets, look for bottoms. Type of food sources to look for during that time of yr. Any help will be appreciated. You can email me at jharrel7@yahoo.com.

Jim Boyd

It is a little bit late now (green up is well under way) but a scouting trip in March would have told you a LOT. Trails are very obvious then.

Cyber scouting is a good tool but so many times what you think and what you find are entirely different.

Something as simple as a ditch that is near impossible to cross shows up and really impedes where you want to go.

I would go as soon as I could, even right now - and spend a few days scouting and riding to get a feel.

I go through that area each November headed on my annual hunt and I have seen some giants - alive and dead - as I travel.

You are definitely going to be in the land of some giant bucks - good luck!!!!!

jharrel7

It is a little bit late now (green up is well under way) but a scouting trip in March would have told you a LOT. Trails are very obvious then.

Cyber scouting is a good tool but so many times what you think and what you find are entirely different.

Something as simple as a ditch that is near impossible to cross shows up and really impedes where you want to go.

I would go as soon as I could, even right now - and spend a few days scouting and riding to get a feel.

I go through that area each November headed on my annual hunt and I have seen some giants - alive and dead - as I travel.

You are definitely going to be in the land of some giant bucks - good luck!!!!!
Thank you for info and help. We plan on scouting as soon as possible to get a feel and lay of the area. We will also be bringing a boat to help get away from most of the pressure as possible.

DAVE

Stay away from the food plots. If you scout before season you will see some nice bucks in those plots and you will think man this is where I'm hunting but come hunting time those plots are over run with hunters and odds of seeing much less actually killing a deer is pretty slim. If you have a boat you can access less hunted areas easier. If I was hunting LBL I would hunt the Tenn. side.

Jim Boyd

We will also be bringing a boat to help get away from most of the pressure as possible.

The boat sounds like a great idea.

Just gotta remember that it may be cool in November (in fact, we pray that it is cool) and boating in the cold adds another layer of complexity into what we are trying to keep simple.

Out of state trips often get derailed or diluted by the simplest of things.

Your timing is great - as long as the weather is cool.

My other suggestion revolves around seat time. You may have already hunted up there before but I don’t hunt in the Midwest like I do in the south.

In almost every case, I am in the stand all day. If I am going to move, I usually do it about 2 pm.

I am far from deadly but almost every buck I have taken up there has been from 10 am to 2 pm.

Wish you the best of luck - it is a very exciting plan!!!!!

jharrel7

Thanks guys for all the help. We are really excited about this trip. Boating we figured would be our best chance to get away from any pressure. I'll definitely keep yall posted with any luck. Just going into this yr more to learn the area for future yrs to come.

Kris87

I haven't hunted LBL but hunt Western KY every year. There are crops in LBL so I'd look for something that might be in beans this summer(I think you can find out pretty easily) and hope they're cut when you're there and that it's cold. A cut corn field isn't going to do nearly as well then unless they've planted wheat behind it and it could be good then. Don't look for any crops with much road frontage. It'll be a waste too.

huckhgh

I wouldn't worry so much about hunting over the food plots/food sources that first week in November. Like they said, just pray it's cold and hunt the travel corridors and pinch points between the bedding and food source. I'm sure you know how to find bedding areas but if not, shoot me an email (huckhgh@gmail.com) with an aerial view of your spot and I'll try to help out.

Good luck!

Huck

Stump06

Not to hijack your thread but what size boat would y'all think would be too small to take to LBL? I know its a pretty big lake and I'm sure it can get rough at times

Mac

Almost time, good luck and give up a report.