DANG THIS HEAT!!!!

frankwright

I finally made it out yesterday morning for a short hunt. It was 70 but I was hunting in a hardwood bottom next to a swamp and it was very comfortable and I sat until 10:30.
When I walked out into the sun it got hot in a hurry. There is a cooler 15 minutes away if I had to get it cool quick and I am just minutes away from a freezer with some frozen milk jugs. I have put them in the field dressed body cavity for the trip home.
It looks like it will finally cool down. I hope they are not teasing.

oldfella1962

I finally made it out yesterday morning for a short hunt. It was 70 but I was hunting in a hardwood bottom next to a swamp and it was very comfortable and I sat until 10:30.
When I walked out into the sun it got hot in a hurry. There is a cooler 15 minutes away if I had to get it cool quick and I am just minutes away from a freezer with some frozen milk jugs. I have put them in the field dressed body cavity for the trip home.
It looks like it will finally cool down. I hope they are not teasing.

allegedly a big cold front moving in Saturday that will drop the temps 20 degrees or so for the weekend. Saturday I'm busy with my family but Sunday it's full speed ahead to kick-start this hunting season without swimming in sweat!

Barebowyer

It's certainly been brutal. I killed one opening day in the evening and got it out of the woods immediately. I HV only sat one evening since. I HV been seeing some movement in the mornings as late as 930 hunting water

oldfella1962

It's certainly been brutal. I killed one opening day in the evening and got it out of the woods immediately. I HV only sat one evening since. I HV been seeing some movement in the mornings as late as 930 hunting water

tomorrow morning I'm hunting a funnel near water facing downhill with the wind in my face. In theory I have all the bases covered if the deer don't go "off script" on me.

frankwright

Cooler this morning and they were moving. I saw seven does within 30 yards of my stand. I had a big one at ten yards broadside in front of my hang on. I had picked a spot and was just starting to draw when she spooked and jumped a few feet into the brush. I don't know if I shifted or what. She slowly walked off taking a smaller one with her!
I had another big doe and two small deer just at my range limit but they would never turn the right way when a tree or bush was not in the way.
I watched a piece of thread on a limb change directions two or three times but luckily I was OK either direction as I had different cover in every direction. Swirly wind had them a little jumpy I think,
Fun morning and I wasn't sweaty.

oldfella1962

Cooler this morning and they were moving. I saw seven does within 30 yards of my stand. I had a big one at ten yards broadside in front of my hang on. I had picked a spot and was just starting to draw when she spooked and jumped a few feet into the brush. I don't know if I shifted or what. She slowly walked off taking a smaller one with her!
I had another big doe and two small deer just at my range limit but they would never turn the right way when a tree or bush was not in the way.
I watched a piece of thread on a limb change directions two or three times but luckily I was OK either direction as I had different cover in every direction. Swirly wind had them a little jumpy I think,
Fun morning and I wasn't sweaty.

more action than I had. Just about legal shooting light I had a big doe (by itself which is a rarity) looking for water oak acorns at about 35 yards but she never did drift any closer before moving on. But at least I know I'm hunting a decent spot so I'm sure more action is to come. Saw a scrape on my way out too so that's pretty encouraging.
I might make a few mock scrapes when I'm done hunting tomorrow just to keep them interested in the area.