Daughters first deer! (And my near heart attack)

Greene728

So my 13 y.o baby girl wanted to do some deer hunting this year. Needless to say I was happy and looked forward to the opportunity to take her and teach her. We of course started off during the summer practicing often. Started with her Savage MK 22 bolt action and worked up from there to the 223. I was very apprehensive about the 223, but small as she is I knew that much more gun was gonna be hard on her and I surely didn't want her getting gun shy or scared of shooting. Plus, I have had this particular 223 for quite some time and knew it was a shooter and that if I did my part in teaching her where and when to shoot, the little rifle would do it's part.

So fast forward to yesterday afternoon 11/4/16. We knew we had a nice buck in the area hounding the ladies. So after school we headed to the stand. Sure enough about 6:10 a doe pops out in the plot with this fine young man very shortly behind her. Unfortunately he came out on the side of the tower stand we didn't expect him too, which required some adjustment. Well the doe wasn't real happy with him all up in her business and headed off into the hardwoods with her Prince Charming of course in tow before we could make said adjustments. Heart broken she was worried if they would return. I knew that unless the doe returned he probably wouldn't either and was really worried myself. But around 6:30 a couple other does entered and began feeding in the plot. Shortly after, another doe emerged and joined her compadres and it was her with her unwanted guest again in tow. This time we were ready but he wasn't. He continued to face us not presenting a shot I was comfortable with her taking for what seemed like an eternity! The group of lovely ladies had now fed to within 60-70 yards from us at this point and finally proved to be to much for him to bare! He ran into them chasing them around and finally stopped broadside long enough for the shot. Guys/gals I can't begin to express how nerve racking this was! The chasing, grunting, pure excitement is something I will never forget! She made a shot that would make the finest of hunters proud. Honestly I don't know which I was more proud of, the buck she took or the shot she made under very nerve racking conditions with the show they were putting on!

As you can imagine, I am proud and thankful as well as blessed beyond measure! Big thanks too to my BIL (Nutt) for his huge part in making this happen also!

Attachments

• IMG_1097.jpg
    IMG_1097.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,537
  • IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 1,546
  • IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,485
Last edited:

Greene728

If someone could rotate the last picture I'd sure be appreciative!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Congrats to all

smitty

Congrats to your Daughter and to you as well Scott !!

Horns

Man that's cool. Nothing like seeing your child harvest their first deer / buck. Congratulations to you all.

RABJR

Very nice. I enjoyed reading how the hunt unfolded. Great buck, and great for the both of you.

Twinkie .308

Wow!! Good going!

Attachments

• IMG_1105-1200x1600.jpg
    IMG_1105-1200x1600.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,321
  • IMG_1103-1200x1600.jpg
    IMG_1103-1200x1600.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 1,325

marknga

GONetwork Member
Congratulations! A day that neither of you will ever forget. What a great buck and a beautiful young lady.
Well done.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Very good deer, congrats

six

Dang, the young lady good, real good. A big congrats to her!

FOLES55

Great job on both ends!!