Deer Bedding

Buckstop

Our deer mostly bed in blocks of early stage pines and adjacent brushy creek bottoms. We enhance them by staying out of them and never letting our wind blow into them. Got to give them someplace to live if you want to keep em on your place.

across the river

Our deer mostly bed in blocks of early stage pines and adjacent brushy creek bottoms. We enhance them by staying out of them and never letting our wind blow into them. Got to give them someplace to live if you want to keep em on your place.

This is spot on. I think the biggest thing is leave it alone. Had a lease like this years back that backed up to an interstate, and we never hunted or walked in the 20 or 30 acres of thick pines and the hardwood draw that backed up to the interstate. All of the surrounding properties around that place were heavily hunted, but the number of mature bucks see and killed coming to and from that bedding area along the interstate was phenomenal. You could hunt nearly any other part of that property and see deer, and my buddy would even get a few of the bucks on camera a night on other parts of the place. Rarely, however, would you ever see a mature buck outside of the area surrounding that bedding area along the interstate.

You can have a bunch of land, but you will often find the mature bucks are often confined to a small area in which they feel secure, which means it is usually thick or in someway secluded from pressure.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I guess deer lay down everywhere. Where they feed and live. If they feel secure in a area browsing in a thicket in the day they bed there. I’ve seen them bed in open fields at nite. Under a big tree where eating acorns. I guess they feed and lay down. Get up. Feed and lay down. I’ve had them feed in on me and lay up. I’ve gotten in stands thinking no deer there then they stand up and feed. When pressured I’ve found them where u think on wouldn’t be.
2nd buck I ever killed was bedded down under a overhanging big limb. I sat down in the woods with my dog. We where deer hunting. Squirrels running everywhere. I was thinking. I should be squirrels hunting. Watched a squirrel go over on that limb. Under it was a buck staring at me. I’d been there a hour. I shot him. My dog ran him down. A deer hunting team was born that day. I was 14. ?

spencer12

Native grasses, dog fennel, and hinge cuts. Also planted a bunch of cedars years ago that they love to bed around. I planted a bunch of native grass seed a few years ago. They love it.

Latest posts