• Sometimes, depends on the season.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Never,

Votes: 27 44.3%

• Total voters

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
How many do it?

I have on a small scale, have had some success at it. Going to do a little more this year.

Last edited:

raghorn

We used to drive a long peninsula at Clark Hill Lake years ago on either sex hunts and usually always took 3 to 6 deer the first time , always had some success.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Kinda tough for me to answer although I chose sometimes. However last year we ran a drive while hunting in Burke with D2D and that was the first in about 5 years.

Jim

Jorge

I voted sometimes as well. However, I would have prefered to vote never. We have done it twice on our club that I am aware of about three years ago. I participated in it the first time but chose not to the second time. It is not a method of hunting that I enjoy. If I wanted to hunt driven deer, I would rather go to S. GA on a dog hunt. At least it would be more exciting.

I would prefer that drives never occur on our club again and I don't think they will. The only real reason it was done was to take does. The deer on our club get enough pressure, and doing drives I feel may pressure them enough to leave the club altogether.

redpredator

We Do On Our Club At The End Of The Season.after The Rut.we Have Alot Of Thickets.we Will Let A Couple Guys Walk Through The Thickets And Put Standers On The Outskirts.works Out Good Because Our Property Is Broken Up Into Blocks.definatley Gets The Deer Up And Moving.usually Only Do This Once A Season The Last Weekend.

SlipperyHill Mo

Every few years we try to do a deer drive on the last Sunday of the season. W have had very limited success. But have jumped a couple of nice bucks.

Usually, I don't think it is worth the effort and by then we are burnt out on hunting. But not for just a couple of days.

Last edited:

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hunting deer by use of man drives is an acceptable way of hunting. It is most appropriate late in the season when it becomes difficult to almost impossible to see game during daylight.

It is especially useful in areas that have an excess of does. Even if a club elects to not kill does on a drive, it is still possible to only shoot bucks. Simple matter of not shooting unless it is a shooter. Good discretion should apply on any kind of hunt.

The reason man drives are not commonplace is simply because everybody wants to be a stander and nobody wants to be the driver who beats the bushes. A person who is accustomed to sitting hours in a stand is not likely to offer himself as the one who beats the bushes.

Man drives can be conducted safely and can result in a change of pace in the overall hunting experience. If you are opposed to this kind of hunting, simply refrain from doing so, and at the same time, refrain from criticizing others for enjoying a practice that is legal and has the potential to provide excellent sport during a dull part of the season.

Vernon

E

Etter1

I love deer drives and do them every year. Nothing like hearing them come running right at you out of a deep thicket!

bigolebuck

Etter1 said:
I love deer drives and do them every year. Nothing like hearing them come running right at you out of a deep thicket!

I agree about the deer but one year 3 moose ran about 20 feet away from me one year while doing a deer drive in heavy willows.All you seen was black.Now that was pretty scary.

Chuck Martin

We used to d o them the last weekend of the season which was doe days back when for folks who hadn't gotten one. The last couple of years we've tapered off due to the amount of either sex days. When it's done right it will get them up and moving. Varied amounts of sucess, late in the year I usually find the deer in the thickest stuff out there and you just about have to walk on top of them to get'em up.

O

OFD2Truck

Same here, we usually save it for the last sunday of the season and set some of the older guys up and the youngins walk with the adults. Helps some of the older guys who arent really mobile get a crack at some meat for the freezer. Last few years we have thrown a hog on the spicket and came back for the final meal of the year.....its a great time for the family and one heck of a way to close out the season.

bull0ne

Banned
We call it ''jugging''......take a plastic drink bottle with loose change inside as a noise maker, it helps to get em going in bigger woods where you might not get close enough to walk by the beds.

If we find tracks going into a small head or drain we will put on a push at that moment,they might not be there long.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I've traditionally done a couple at the very end of deer season.

A couple of years ago my dad and I tried a two man drive on a 30 acre block of pines. We did it twice and both times my dad barely missed getting shots at deer. On one of the drives I had to walk through the block of pines 4 different times until I finally got a deer to jump and take off. They'd just lay low and let my walk on by. I knew they were in there and would just keep zig zagging until they busted up.

Tommy

WOODIE13

Buckshot2001 said:
All the Time,
With a pack of south Ga beagles

Have never done that, but hear it can be a great experience listening to the dogs run. May have to try it some time. :bounce:

WOODIE13

The times we did it, it was a slow, steady push, almost like still hunting. Post the standers at the head of a holler and move around to the bottom and walk with the wind toward the standers.

Have even done it while bowhunting (with a compound, no x bows allowed back then in WV :bounce: ) and we have taken a few, ecspecially when it is hot and the deer are only moving at night.

By moving slowly and with the wind, most deer will not run at light speed and normally present a good shot to one of the standers.

This year, I am going to try it on a larger scale with some buddies. Would like to get the standers up in tree stands for better safety and visibility at the run ways.