Deer Hunting 101...Questions and Answers

howie_r

What is the diffrence between the P&Y scoring system and the B&C scoring system and what are the rules on both?

gadawg31

Feeding Schedules

Here is one for all of you; What is the best way to determine the minor and major feeding schedules and how often do they occur? I was told that it works on a 12hrs rotation, but when does the rotation begin and end? I noticed this the other night when we saw tons of deer standing in the ditch about an hour after sun down and my friend said that was because it was a major feeding session. You know there are barracks lawyers and doctors all over, so I need the actual facts. Thanks.

gadawg

rednecktoyotamudder

What is the diffrence between the P&Y scoring system and the B&C scoring system and what are the rules on both?

Pope and Young is for bow harvests. the minimum score is 125 typical and 155 non-typical.

Boone and Crockett is for any method of harvest. (bow, rifle, handgun, muzzeloader) the minimum score for typical is 170 and 195 for non-typical.

huntinglady74

Blinds

I know i may sound stupid, but this is my very first time ever hunting anything . I am using a blind for now. But my question is if we as people have to wear orange to show other hunters were there should my blind have some kind of orange so another hunter can see me from the other side of a ridge? My reasoning is if i can't see my blind from the other ridge could another hunter? This is on WMA property not private property..:confused:

garnede

I know i may sound stupid, but this is my very first time ever hunting anything . I am using a blind for now. But my question is if we as people have to wear orange to show other hunters were there should my blind have some kind of orange so another hunter can see me from the other side of a ridge? My reasoning is if i can't see my blind from the other ridge could another hunter? This is on WMA property not private property..:confused:

Use caution hunting from a blind on a WMA. I would take an extra orange jacket and place it on top of your blind while you are in it. My blind stands out from the background, but if yours blends in the you don't want some hillbilly shooting "at that bush shaking over there", and hit you coming out of your blind.

pastory

I just want to thank A.J. Niette and his dogs Jake and Caroline for finding my first buck. On Sat Nov 6th at 9 am I shot my first buck. An eight point that was chasing a doe through a food plot, I shot him and he ran into the woods. He left a huge blood trail and my husband and I thought we would find a dead deer right away...we didn't...we must have pressured him to quickly. About a hundred yds down the trail we jumped him up from where he had laid down. We then backed off and went back later to find he had crossed a large creek..then we lost him on the other side. My husband is a firefighter and was on duty the next day(Sunday) but was determined to find my first deer and found A.J. Niette's number on the G.O.N. website. David set up for us to meet A.J. Monday morning. A.J. started his dogs on the site where I shot the deer and thats all it took..he uses gps tracking collars and a handheld unit to follow the dogs..they went aprox 300 yds to the creek,crossed it then had to wait for us to cross in the boat then in aprox another 330yds A.J. could see on the handheld that the dogs had alerted on a find. The dogs then moved another 110 yds and alerted again. We went to the second alert first to find deer guts that coyotes had strewn about.Then we went to first alert and there was my deer..OVER 48 hours later and 630 yds... and thanks to the cold weather on Sat and Sun still in good enough shape to get mounted. A good lesson learned no matter how much blood..if the deer runs..wait..this buck probably would have died where he lay down if we had not jumped him. he would have been easy to find because of the large amount of blood leading to him...but if you lose a deer...A.J.NIETTE, Jake and Caroline..what a great team and wonderful experience..Thank you A.J. and thank you David, for loving me enough to call A.J.

Last edited:

jsmith454

drag lines

Ive only hunt for a few years. No one ever told me about them. I have seen a few ppl on here talking about them. But can someone explain what they are and how the work?
thanks

ChickInATree

This is my first season hunting anything at all. I am not picky about what I kill, I'd prefer a deer, but If I find a bear or pig, it's going in the freezer. I have been out 4 times, once today in that TERRIBLE wind. The biggest problem I am having is 1) not seeing anything 2) I only have the option of hunting a WMA as I don't 'know' anyone with land. Everyone seems to have a connection to some 'buddy with 50 acres here' or a 'relative with 100 acres' there. I am stuck to the public hunting option. I have hunted the Lake Allatoona WMA all 4 times, I can always find tracks but no deer, just a few turkeys. I am not sure how to judge the age of the tracks so for all I know they are weeks or months old. Does anyone have a suggestion of WHERE to hunt? I am thinking about trying the Pine Log WMA, there are some corn fields in the northern areas and a nice pig wallow at a fork in two creeks in the south west. However, I have heard a lot about the hunters being so thick and trigger happy in Pine Log that you SERIOUSLY risk being shot. I'll narrow this down to a few questions:
1) Has anyone had good luck at Lake Allatoona this year? Should I keep at it here or move?
2) How about Pine Log? Is it as dangerous as I read or should I make a day trip more south? (I heard the Macon area is nice)
3) Any general tips for hunting WMAs?

Thanks in advance, guys! :cheers:

garnede

I do not know about either of those WMA's. At this point in the season yo will need to be lucky to see anything. Most of the deer are nocturnal from the preasure or are dead from the dumbs on WMA's. As for the age of prints, fresh prints will have sharp edges, where wind and water has not rounded them. Realy fresh sign will have diffrent color soil on top of the ground vs in the print, explained by a diffrence in moisture in the soil. Older prints will have rounded edges and no sharp lines, unless it was created in wet soil and then it gets hot and dry. My best advice is to find good sign around a natural food source. Then hunt daylight and dark with the wind. Good luck.

ChickInATree

I will keep all that in mind when scouting for prints this weekend! I have not given up hope, I work in a gun shop and have had a few customers tell me about a 'second rut' that many deer in the mountains go through. Kicks up in late December they told me. I will have to do more research on that, however. I got a pm that the Oconee National Forest is still kicking out a lot of deer, had this seconded by a customer today as well, he got 9 (NINE) this past weekend with his buddy, even had pictures so it wasn't made up! Guess I'll just have to keep browsing the forums for reports on Pine Log vs. Allatoona.

:fine:

Vanimal70

Where I live we have an extended archery season through January. I have never hunted that late in the season before. Should I hunt that time of year any differently than just after the rut? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks