Deer Hunting 101...Questions and Answers

jbemory

For those who have hunted the same property for a long time, and leave their stands up year round, do you or should you move a stand thats been in the same spot a long time to a slightly different location in the same area? I've been concerned that the deer might realize where the stand is due to my sent trail leading to and from the stand, and others in the club using the stand and getting busted while hunting it.

VicTorres

As a new deer hunter who is still not plugged into a hunting circle of guys or gals, how can one come about gaining practical hands on experience? Ive been in the woods, but never been in a position to harvest or dress a harvested animal. Any idea on or suggestions? Thanks

VicTorres

I have only hunted for 2 years and during that time almost all of my hunting has been done over food plots. I have only taken 2 deer and both of them have been in food plots. This year I am greatly considering moving away from the plots and into the woods. My question is how far away from the plots should I move. I understand that I need to locate and setup on the trails leading to and from the plots. I just need to figure out how deep into the woods I need to go. Do the deer tend to stage just off the plots? One more question: When scouting how can you tell where the deer are bedding? Other than matted grass in open areas I'm not sure what to look for.
@diehardawg it looks like you have been at it for a short period of time with some success. How did you get started on your journey?

jap

Here is a question...when deer are bedding, do bucks and does bed together?
I have one, I have often heard that once a mature deer (buck or doe) gets "educated" and starts moving at night, they will always move at night. Is this fact or fiction?
In my experience no this is not true I have seen deer on trail cams at night in one spot and move the camera around a little bit and find the same deer during the day light a mature deer don’t like a lot of pressure and it will make them change patterns but no make them fully nocturnal there moving some where during the day

jap

In my experience no this is not true I have seen deer on trail cams at night in one spot and move the camera around a little bit and find the same deer during the day light a mature deer don’t like a lot of pressure and it will make them change patterns but no make them fully nocturnal there moving some where during the day
And as far as does and bucks bedding together bucks typically bed behind the does you will normally find the does before the buck if you blow them out you may never know he was there
Some bed alone a lot depends on time of year,food source and pressure also