Deer Hunting 101...Questions and Answers

dc02

I emailed the DNR and here's their response.

This is probably common knowledge to most of you, but for me, it's all new and I really don't want to run afoul of the law.

You can hunt with bows any time deer season in. It's just that in primitive weapons and firearms seasons you would have wear hunter orange.

I still think they can word the regulations better to make things more clear.

How about extended archery?

Extended Archery,
Either Sex only for
Clayton, Cobb,
DeKalb, Forsyth,
Fulton, Gwinnett &
Rockdale
January 2 – 31

Can we bow hunt deer anywhere until Jan 31, 2012 or is that only for the counties listed?

How about Primitive Weapons?

Primitive Weapons, Either sex October 15 – 21, Statewide

Does that continue through rifle season like archery?

Thanks again.

cray29

License

If my girlfriend wants to sit in a stand with me but she doesn't carry a gun and does not want to shoot does she need a license?

Jeff Phillips

She does not. She should wear orange!

DonMorris

You can use your bow all season.

You can carry a pistol only during gun season.

Not quite correct. You can carry a gun (pistol or rifle) if you have a concealed carry permit. I carry a small pistol with me when I bow hunt. I've seen coyotes get brave when they are in packs.

squad2man

Getting back

Hello everyone, this is a great thread. My question is this, I haven't been hunting in probably ten years. I know shame on me. Well now that my son is old enough to go, and has expressed interest, where do i start. Its just been so long i was hoping to get a little advise. I was going to hunt some WMA's in the area (N. Forsyth/Dawson Counties). Any help would be much appreciated.

shedhead

Hey yall, my daughter and I are going on the first cedar creek hunt and they say permits are available noon the day before the hunt. I have to work then. Are they available the morning of the first hunt and if so how early? How do we get them? Appreciate any help, good luck.

squad2man

Jeff

Thanks for the reply, i was going to head to Dawson forrrest. Also how can we better our odds of avoiding "knuckle heads" while hunting.

benjammin10

I have always sighted in my rifles by shooting them at a target which seems to be the best way. I was wondering how well a bore sight works? Its very convenient and quick. I would only be shooting the rifle 25- 70 yards and I just want to know if a bore sight is sufficient for that distance? if not how far can you trust a bore sighted gun?

Fullcurl

the only answer is WIND!! if the wind is not in your favor-the rest doesnt matter anyway!! once a hunter knows this,the rest is easy. you can have all the knowledge in the world,but if you dont use commen sense-the time is wasted! wind is the reason for 2 stands,wind is the reason a deer ages,wind is the reason you didnt see a thing,wind is the reason you killed that big buck. the rest is a need to know thing,but wont put a big buck on the ground! great idea for the kids!!

Well put 1killshot!
I don't have much whitetail experience, but this was the key factor hunting blacktail in Alaska, that and getting into deer habitat.

Trying to learn the southern way with whitetail now...

SouthernYankee

Only during the rut, with buck fawns being the exception.
I thought the same thing but i live in N.Fulton county and i was out scouting during the late summer and came upon a mature doe and a 7-point buck in velvet. i reckon he is about 2 and a half this year. however since the season started i have had multiple trial cam pics and sightings of him by him self.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Bump for the newbies.

timmy83

holy cow!! i have just read this from front to back and my brain hurts.
one thing i have seen on here that hasnt been explained is "hunting the wind" im new and dont know all the key words or how to hunt the wind. what does it all mean?

Downwind- your sent travels along the wind current in the opposite direction you expect your game to come from.

i got that one but anything else im new too.
How do you get to your area along an open tree line with the wind going into the woods?

what is considered a "good wind" if a deer can come from anywhere?

i see alot of talk about wind with no explanation.
i know this is an old thread but i hope someone explains this one.
Thank you,
Timmy

shakey gizzard

holy cow!! i have just read this from front to back and my brain hurts.
one thing i have seen on here that hasnt been explained is "hunting the wind" im new and dont know all the key words or how to hunt the wind. what does it all mean?

Downwind- your sent travels along the wind current in the opposite direction you expect your game to come from.

i got that one but anything else im new too.
How do you get to your area along an open tree line with the wind going into the woods?

what is considered a "good wind" if a deer can come from anywhere?

i see alot of talk about wind with no explanation.
i know this is an old thread but i hope someone explains this one.
Thank you,
Timmy

Try not to let the wind take your scent to where you think the deer will be comming from! Example, if you think the deer will be comming down the trail that leads to the scrapes, put your stand down wind of it. Easier said than done though!;)

timmy83

Try not to let the wind take your scent to where you think the deer will be comming from! Example, if you think the deer will be comming down the trail that leads to the scrapes, put your stand down wind of it. Easier said than done though!;)

Thank you,
But im more interested in how to get to your stand. If the wind is going to a bedding area that your stand is 40 yards off, Would you hunt that site or pick a different area for the time that the wind is heading that way? Would you hunt just off the side or completely leave the area and try another spot.
I hunt a WMA and i dont want to disturb others hunting and ruin their day having my scent hitting their spot.

Thank you,
Timmy

REDFOXJR

Had a old indian tell me one time that if you could find out what time of day sunlight/moonlight shinned on a rub, that it would give you time of day that rub was made. possible? What you guys think?

timmy83

what about using a turkey call for the walk to your stand? i heard that if you snap twigs or make a little noise the deer wont spook as ez if you cluck a few times.

joedublin

Deer won't get nearly as jumpy if, when you're walkin' to your stand, you make some noise like you don't care what hears you! After about 20 or 30 minutes deer totally forget the noise and go about their normal business and maybe walk right to you ! That's happened to me several times.Don't try to be so sneaky,it scares them!