Deer Hunting 101...Questions and Answers

marathon

Been thinking about something for a while. I know there are a lot of young or inexperienced hunters out there that are wanting to learn as much as they can before hitting the woods this fall. What I propose is we have a Q&A thread where any and all can ask questions or even give tips about deer hunting. Heck I've been hunting since I was about 10 yrs. old and there are still a lot of things I don't know. I'll start it off by asking the first question: What is the age ratio in years comparing deer to humans?

Last edited:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Don't understand your question?

marathon

elfiii said:
Don't understand your question?

How 'bout this comparison? It is said that a dog's year is equal to 7 human years.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Got it, and I don't know. I bet JBowers knows.

outdoorgirl

i think that that is a great idea Marathon!

marathon said:
Been thinking about something for a while. I know there are a lot of young or inexperienced hunters out there that are wanting to learn as much as they can before hitting the woods this fall. What I propose is we have a Q&A thread where any and all can ask questions or even give tips about deer hunting. Heck I've been hunting since I was about 10 yrs. old and there are still a lot of things I don't know. I'll start it off by asking the first question: What is the age ratio in years comparing deer to humans?

Jeff Phillips

outdoorgirl said:
Here is a question...when deer are bedding, do bucks and does bed together?

Only during the rut, with buck fawns being the exception.

marathon

bradpatt03 said:
i think that's a good idea...i have lots of questions just not ont he top of my head....

Well think 'em up and serve 'em out. ::ke:

outdoorgirl

Is it best to have two seperate stands to hunt from....one for morning hunts and one for evening hunts?

PChunter

answers imo

First question: Since a deer's life span is typicaly 8 years in a non-predator enviroment and a man's is 73 then a buck deer's ratio in man years would be 9.125, so if a buck deer is 3yrs old then he equates to 27.375 man years.
Second question: bucks and does do bed together twice a year once during the actual concemation phase of the rut and again young bucks can be found bedded near does just about anytime of the year.
Third question: Two stands to hunt from? Well, that all depends on the land you are hunting. If there is only one food source and one main bedding area then its not neccesary to have have two stands. But, like in most cases there are numerous and the more stands the better. The wind, weather and season change all effect what stand to hunt. It's nice to have a stand to catch the deer returning to the bedding area and then have one leaving it in the evening. If you can find outthe routes there using then you are one up on the deer. A lot of the time it's really just one big circle that they get into a sequence of going.
Well, just my opinion.

Greg

For the "weekend hunter" who does not have alot of time in the woods during the week, is it more productive to hunt for a buck over food plots or in the woods near a food source there?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Greg said:
For the "weekend hunter" who does not have alot of time in the woods during the week, is it more productive to hunt for a buck over food plots or in the woods near a food source there?
From what I have been told, depends on the rut if your hunting the buck. Before the rut, your probably better off in the woods near natural food sources. After the rut, I think any food source will do fine. But that may not hold true everywhere either. It has worked for me in the past though.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I have one, I have often heard that once a mature deer (buck or doe) gets "educated" and starts moving at night, they will always move at night. Is this fact or fiction?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
outdoorgirl said:
Is it best to have two seperate stands to hunt from....one for morning hunts and one for evening hunts?
Depends on location. But in some areas I have hunted in the past, I have had stands that produced in the evening and nothing in the morning. And same deal with some that produced early and nothing late. As of right now with the place I have, I hunt one stand every time I go, morning and evening all season.

fulldraw74

Spotlite said:
Depends on location. But in some areas I have hunted in the past, I have had stands that produced in the evening and nothing in the morning. And same deal with some that produced early and nothing late. As of right now with the place I have, I hunt one stand every time I go, morning and evening all season.

maybe you should let your wife answer. She is the one who kills the Big deer........:D

MoeBirds

I have a question ??...

Is this, or is this not, one of the best threads ever started in the Deer Hunting Forum :clap: ?!

neckringer

just read and article that said most bucks in the 3.5+ age range become nocturnal whether they are on pressured ground or not.
My trail cam photos prove this sho nuff.

diehardawg

I have only hunted for 2 years and during that time almost all of my hunting has been done over food plots. I have only taken 2 deer and both of them have been in food plots. This year I am greatly considering moving away from the plots and into the woods. My question is how far away from the plots should I move. I understand that I need to locate and setup on the trails leading to and from the plots. I just need to figure out how deep into the woods I need to go. Do the deer tend to stage just off the plots? One more question: When scouting how can you tell where the deer are bedding? Other than matted grass in open areas I'm not sure what to look for.

243Savage

fulldraw74 said:
maybe you should let your wife answer. She is the one who kills the Big deer........:D

Yeah...Let's hear it from the teacher instead of the student. :rofl: