Deer Hunting 101...Questions and Answers

bradpatt03

-how far ahead of season should you set a stand up so that deer can get used to it being in the area

- when a dominant buck has gone almost completely nocturnal what are the best tactics for gettin him

- do the same group of does stay together for the majority of the season (it seems like i always see the same group of 3, or the same group of 5, or whatever)

- is the blowing nose done in order to clear the nostrils and smell better or to alert other deer (heard it told both ways)

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
bradpatt03 said:
-how far ahead of season should you set a stand up so that deer can get used to it being in the area

- when a dominant buck has gone almost completely nocturnal what are the best tactics for gettin him

- do the same group of does stay together for the majority of the season (it seems like i always see the same group of 3, or the same group of 5, or whatever)

- is the blowing nose done in order to clear the nostrils and smell better or to alert other deer (heard it told both ways)

The only time I use permanent stands is when I want to overlook a large area. Cutovers, select cut, foodplots ECT. I wont use a fixed stand in a confined area. All it takes is that big buck smelling your presence one time, and the game is over. I like to slip in with a climber. If I leave my climber there, I will set it real high up the tree where a deer might not come in contact with it.

I like to hunt big bucks as close to, or in their bedding area as I can. I dont worry about hunting rubs and scrapes. 90% of that is done at night. I try to place my self where a buck will be comfortable being on his feet during the day. Pay close attention to what you see when you are trying to locate bedding areas. they can take many forms. bedding areas arent allways the thickest place on your property. they will bed in areas where they have never encountered human scent. that could be deep in the woods, or right by the road. road noise does not bother deer at all. If you ever think you have found a big buck bedding area. back out and dont disturb it. try to figure out a way to hunt it thats not invasive. JMHO.

HighCotton

bradpatt03 said:

Brad--

(1) I usually try to give the site at least a couple of weeks to "settle down". Obviously, longer is better but often if scouting new area it's not possible. I've set up a stand one day and hunted it the next........... but, I usually try to give it a week or 2. :D

(2) A really truly nocturnal dominant buck, you and I may never see. If the doe:buck ratio is very high you may not see him even during rut. I think the best chance might be to rattle and grunt during rut... but I'll yield to someone else on this one. :huh:

(3) Yes, I think does tend to stay in the same groups. I've noticed the same thing you have. :cool:

(4) "Blowing", I believe, is both an alert mechanism and an anger mechanism. Most of the time when I've heard one blow, they're usuallly spooked by smell or movement. ::gone:

HC

marathon

Spotlite said:
Nice deer !!

I wonder what the what affect it has on deer in the woods vs open field around food plots? I know for us, we are open field and at the beginning of the rut, the bucks tend to hang around the edge of the field rather than coming on out in the open. But when its on, they will follow those does anywhere. after the rut, they dont hesitate to come right on in to the plots. The only time they get a little shy is at the beginning so is that typical for all bucks or just location and their surrounding that makes them hesitate early on.

From what I've seen that seems to be typical behavior. I believe the bucks are cautious at the first part of the season because of human presence. Of course the rut changes everything as we all know. They will follow the does anywhere that they normally wouldn't. After the rut is over I believe the bucks start thinking something like this: (Hey I went out in that field after that doe and nothing happened then, so maybe it's o.k. to go out there after all) Got no scientific data to prove this, just a hunch of mine.

Patriot44

Banned
Great thread-

One thing I love about deer hunting is that no two peices of land are the same. Although the basics of deer hunting apply, to me, it's all about discovering the land and what methods work the best.

I myself, have had very little luck on food plots and seeing bucks. But then again, come the rut, I have already picked a few spots that I stick with and very seldom stray.

I still have more questions than answers and I have been deer hunting for 20 years. Thats the fun part. Hearing how others interpret things vs someone else. Then trying them both yourself.

In 2003 and 2005, I took to fine bucks, one bumping 140 and the other 125. In both cases, I took the bucks using a stradegy very few others use. The payoff. It's about 90% to 10%. Using the wind to my advantage and having the wind to my back. Extreemly diffucult, but that 10% payed off. I wonder how many times I blew it and never knew it. I have found it only works during the rut though!

Rut time- best stradegy is to hunt does, not bucks.

What fun! Some interesting thoughts from ya'll.

marathon

bradpatt03 said:
is it true that when a deer is staring at you stomping his foot that it is releasing a "warning scent" to alert other deer in the area of danger? i have had them do this before and then never blow and return to normal behavior :huh:

Deer have a gland between the front hooves which I believe is called the interdigital gland that will release an odor when they stomp their foot. It will get the attention of other deer that approach later on to let them know that something has caused concern. Stomping the foot is also a way for the deer to buffalo something into showing itself.

bradpatt03

Deer have a gland between the front hooves which I believe is called the interdigital gland that will release an odor when they stomp their foot. It will get the attention of other deer that approach later on to let them know that something has caused concern. Stomping the foot is also a way for the deer to buffalo something into showing itself.

i see...reason i ask is because a few years ago i was hunting a food plot during bow season and the same 3 does came out at the same time 2 weekends in a row...come the 3rd weekend i decided i was going to take one if they came back out and my dad got in a ground blind across the field from me about 100 yards with a video camera...

same does came out...2 smaller ones stayed right under me but the one big one (the one i wanted) went straight toward him....literally for 15 minutes she just glared at him and stomped her foot....he stayed dead still...every so often she would drop her head like she was going to calmly start eating but before she got it all the way down she would jerk back up real fast, as if to try and trick him into moving....it was really neat and we got it all on tape...

bucktail

Does everyone that hunts public land use a stand of some kind? Is either stalking or finding a big tree and hold up in an on site ground blind not some of the safest ways to hunt public land? I guess I am thinking that with a large number of people on public land it isn't very safe to be walking around during the day.

This will be my first season. I have gone out on my Bros place in PA but there he has a ground blind overlooking a creek.

HighCotton

bucktail said:
Does everyone that hunts public land use a stand of some kind? Is either stalking or finding a big tree and hold up in an on site ground blind not some of the safest ways to hunt public land? I guess I am thinking that with a large number of people on public land it isn't very safe to be walking around during the day.

I've never hunted public land but unless there is some type of system that allows hunters to know where others are... that would be real scary and I sure wouldn't be out there. ::;

I like to know who I'm with, have trust in them, and that we all know where everybody is. That's the ONLY WAY ... :cheers:

HC

Patriot44

Banned
[bucktail]-get there 2 days early and scout. Others will be doing the same. If you see another vehicle parked in the same spot for a long time, there going to hunt that spot. Stop and talk to them-get a feel for where there hunting and let them know where you are going to be if you are close-

Use a climber. Don't leave it in the woods. It WILL grow legs!

And wear LOTS OF ORANGE, Fly a orange flag if you have to.LOL For as many good hunters on public land I have met, I have met 10X more dumb ones.

DYI hunting

bucktail said:

I always hunt a stand on public property. I use a climber that I can lock to a tree, but sometimes carry it in and out with me.

I do see the occasional person stalking or hunting on the ground, but many or most use stands.

PChunter

I use both climbers and blinds on wma's depending on the lenth of the walk and the terrain. I hunt river bend and it's really thick near those swamps, you just about have to have a blind. But, I will take an extra orange vest and lay it on the top of the bind. I tend to find that if you take the time to stop and talk to the hunters hunting the same area as you that it will help you in the long run. I've help drag out many deer for someone I've meet and had many help me as well. Plus, you teld to form a relationship with the guys that go to the same area's each year, and I look forward to seeing them year after year.

PChunter

Question? What is the best way to make a shooting rail that will work with my lock on, but I can't put any nails or screws in the tree?

Question? Has anyone used the codeblue sents? Arer they any better that tinks 69 which is a lot cheaper?

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
PChunter said:
Question? What is the best way to make a shooting rail that will work with my lock on, but I can't put any nails or screws in the tree?

Question? Has anyone used the codeblue sents? Arer they any better that tinks 69 which is a lot cheaper?

Sometimes I will cut a shooting stick with a fork in it. then when I get in the stand, I cut it to the right length with my limb saw.
In 26 years of hunting. There was only one time that I had a buck come to scent, so I dont use it much myself. other than doctoring up scrapes. Im sure others have had good luck with it though.

futuredoc

public land

I took 5 deer off of public land a few years back with a bow. I used a climber because you are not supposed to put any kind of spikes in trees on public land. I also had a friend hunting with me who was very successful doing the same.

fd

DCHunter

I tried Trails End #307 last year (my first season) and had 4 different bucks (no shooters) and a doe come and check it out. It has some kind of hunger/curiosity ingredients mixed in with the doe urine.

bucktail

Thanks for the responses!!! I'll see if I can come up with a climber before the season starts. Being my first season I probably will not going out on opening weekend, too many people with cabin fever. I was going to put in for a couple quota hunts. Any suggestions for a first timer? Least amount of hunters for the size of the WMA I guess. I was also thinking about going up to the Chestatee mostly because I am a little more familiar with it from fly fishing on Dicks and Waters Creeks, I have explored the area around the two creeks a little bit. How has that area been in the past? It gets kinda steep in some places. But I don't remember running into that many hunters whenever I was there, though I guess that's during bow season.

Early Riser1

PChunter,

I used Code Blue last season. Only had one response to my knowledge. 3:30 one afternoon, I tied a cloth to a 6 foot stick with a string, like I was fishing. I put Code Blue on the cloth and swished it up against a buck rub on the edge of a pasture several times. Then I drug the cloth to my stand. Less than 15 minutes after settleing in the stand I saw an 8 point slowly following and sniffing my trail. He would take a step, drop his nose to the ground and sniff and then look around and sniff some more. He moved very cautiously and did this over and over. Must have taken him 10 minutes to move 20 yards.

He worked his way within 20 yards of my stand, but I didn't get a shot at him because there was an overhanging branch half-way between him and me that would likely have intercepted my arrow. I'm sure that he smelled me on the trail, too, because the trail became very narrow at that spot, and I know that I had brushed against some of the palmettos beside the trail. He was coming in pretty good on the part where I could drag the cloth out to the side, but he lost his nerve where the trail narrowed down and slowly back on out of there.

Smart deer, maybe I'll get him this year.