Deer hunting decline

jbogg

Hunter numbers have declined significantly nationwide in recent years as baby boomers age out of hunting without an equal number of new hunters being recruited. A lot of us don’t feel this change due to an increase in hunter numbers in the southeast as our populations have skyrocketed over the past 50 years. However, as a percentage of the population hunter numbers have declined even here.

It’s very important to take the long view on this. Dollars to manage wildlife is directly dependent on license sales, and lets face it, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. As hunters voices diminish due to loss of numbers so does our legislative power. There are lots of anti hunting “environmental “ groups that would love to see hunting abolished on public land. In addition to introducing someone to hunting, joining groups like Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, and Sportmens Alliance can help protect our way of life.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
People sure must be camping.....there are so many RV dealers here in my neck of the Woodstock it is CRAZY! I JUST STARTED deer hunting so did my BFF, so there is that. I don’t feel or see the decline. We’ve always hog hunted and fished, just not deer.
My sister is holding her stepsons shotgun for him til he’s grown....she wants to kill a turkey with it and she has fished but I don’t think ever hunted. I pray she comes up from Florida.
I cannot count how many times I’ve seen posts of newbie hunters asking the same questions......we all help and are glad too. I just don’t see the decline they say, but perhaps it is in relation to population growth.

Big7

The Oracle
I don't really see decline in older hunters in my area. There's a decline in kids getting into hunting but these days the kids ain't like we was
EXACTLY !!!

My Daddy and Uncle taught me all I could possibly ever need. I'm so greatful for that. My Daddy passed away in January of 17'. My Uncle is in his 70's and he inherited my Grandmother's arthritis. He don't hunt or fish anymore.

And... After they got me to a certain point, I tried, through some friends and a few more resources TO LEARN.

Even though I had a good up bringing, I'd say trial and effort, success and failure, I wouldn't be afraid to say I'm upwards of 85% self taught. I just wish I had more folks to mentor. Old or young. When I croak, there will be tons of knowledge just gone. That's a little disheartening.?

Last edited:

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I think some of the problem in perception is a lot of people on this board live in or just outside of Atlanta. Lots of kids are hunting down here. A whole lot. City kids, many of them whose parents moved down here from a city up north not hunting is pretty predictable.

Gator89

I think some of the problem in perception is a lot of people on this board live in or just outside of Atlanta. Lots of kids are hunting down here. A whole lot. City kids, many of them whose parents moved down here from a city up north not hunting is pretty predictable.

My big sister has 13 grandchilldren, my brother in law grew up hunting and hunted well into his 50s. Yet, he has quit and has not taken any of his grandkids on any type of hunt. Has stated he has no plans to do so.

I took my 15 year old great-nephew to a dove shoot this past October.

Deny all you want, the percentage of the population taking up the sport of hunting is declining. I will be 59 in August and plan to hunt until I can't get to the woods. Wife & I have no children. I would gladly take a great-nephew deer hunting if my club would not make it punitive for the kid to be successful.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Any reading here who have skipped a year(s) hunting or buying a license what caused it?? Or have you stopped altogether, what caused it ?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’ve killed a truckload of God’s creatures, mostly for the heck of it, none that I really “needed” for the table, although I did eat all the deer, turkey, doves, geese, hogs that I shot. Last deer I killed, in about 2002, was my first with a bow. Have not hunted since. I just decided killing for entertainment was no longer what I wanted to do. Don’t really care what others do, just hope they do it lawfully and ethically.

Is that what you hunted for? Entertainment for me is more like watching 2 guys making amazing turkey sounds without a device. Acting like fools and making me laugh my behind off. Even playing softball is more a what I do thing versus entertainment.

Don’t get me wrong. I have no problem with someone deciding something is no longer what they want to do. Maybe it’s just a word thing.....

Waddams

Seems to me that hunter numbers are declining nationally but here in Georgia, they are going up due to so many out of staters from Florida and the Carolinas, and in general lots of people are moving to Georgia (I'm a transplant from Virginia circa 2006 myself). Demand here is high.

Vote for guys that will buy more public land for public hunting!

The cost is rising to lease property and thus the club memberships rise also.

The cost of hunting gear is not getting any cheaper. lots of cheaply made hunting gear that does not last.

I have bought my last pair of rocky hunting boots. They will not hold up.

Glad I hunt with older made rifles, almost NONE of the newer made long arms are made very well.

At this point I would have to put Ruger on top of the list. I don't like them because they are so straight stocked on the wood versions. But at least they are well made.

I have two children that hunt, and my grandson is in the lead on my grand children.

You can lead them, but if taking a life is not for them, there ain't much you can do.

Triple C

Was reading on the internet about declining deer harvest and declining hunters in the Midwest and northern states along with small game hunting. Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are about this in Georgia.
Deer hunting seems to be in great shape in GA. Small game hunting not so much. Plenty of small game to chase but not near the participation as 30 to 40 yrs ago. Access to land has changed so much in my lifetime. Never saw a posted sign in the 60s. Roamed all over the woods and everybody roamed all over ours.

transfixer

I've come to realize that the percentage of guys that hunt is vastly different in different age groups, it seems from 45yrs or so and up, the percentage is higher of those that deer hunt, for those in their 20's, 30's and early 40's its much lower, most haven't been exposed, I have come in contact with a lot of automotive techs in places I've worked, and shops I deal with, I hardly ever find someone younger than 45 who hunts, their priorities when it comes to outdoor recreation time is vastly different than those of us older, if they have any outdoor activities at all that is , with the exception of a boat for the lake or off roading in something like a Razor,

As those of us that get older finally quit hunting because of age, I think the hunting population will decline even further, I think if you took out of the equation those that hunt in Ga and live in a surrounding state, the number of licenses sold would be a good bit less than years past, especially if you factor in the population of the state years ago, versus the population now.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Less percentage of the population is hunting, no doubt. The actual hunter numbers aren't that much different, yet. The whole world is different now. The youth of the world are doing less of everything, with the exception of electronic devices. Life has become too busy just to survive it.

I actually grew up inside 285 by a half a mile or so, before some of it was even completed. My father actually hunted this land in his youth. We had gardens and canned food for winter all the way into the early 80's. Had a pack of rabbit dogs into the 90's. In a neighborhood. So did others. We had to work there, and left for the woods to hunt on the weekends. Hunting back then was free almost. Some person from the suburbs usually owned hundreds of acres in the so called country, and would just tell you to go hunt it, you didn't have to ask. From Tifton to Athens we went. Times have changed. Taxes, timber land, life, you name it. Land just doesn't sit there anymore and be affordable.

I've ventured to the woods for years. Most of the hunting industry has been supported by suburbia. If it was Jefferson county, or Clay County, the hunters were from the Atlanta suburbs. Look at the county on the license plates. The same plague of population and so called advancement is hitting every small town everywhere and spreading out. My son moved to the woods and started his family. He hunts about everything and all the time. He lives the dream life that I haven't been able to get to yet. It's either in their soul or it's not.

They aren't making more land these days, but they are making more humans. Yesterday is dead and gone. Population will only make it worse, and not even the youth will save it in time. Eventually it will all return to the European roots, and the rich will be the only ones enjoying good hunting. Look at it now, the public land hunters are non stop complaining of no wildlife, and someone spending a fortune per acre is loaded with it. It's already there.

splatek

UAEC
In my small suburban neck of the woods I don't think it's due to lack of interest, but more time and the modern hustle bustle of the 21st century. I have several buddies that watched me take up hunting from scratch this past season at 45 and looked at me like I had three heads. They asked questions like: "how do/will you find the time?" " what about work?" "what about time with your boy (soon to be boys)?" and the list goes on. I think some of them think I am retired, LOL

The modern work most people do relies on them being tied to technology. Another guy can't go brook trout fishing with me, because he "cannot" be out of cell range in case work calls.... on Saturdays and Sundays... Another "has" to work 3 jobs so that he can keep up with the neighbors. Another would rather watch youtube videos all day after getting done work at 1pm.

I will tell you this: every single one of their kids is interested. They know I take Spencer and they have expressed interest in joining and I think once I figure things out, I will be happy to help them. Currently, I don't think I am a good mentor as I am learning myself. Also, those men are also interested and often ask to come over and watch as I process an animal and will indirectly ask for meat.

None of these are directly contributing to any decline in hunting, angling, or outdoors, but my general impression is that I think folks would rather watch the outdoors on TV than experience it in real life. Just my 2 cents.

You cant tell there is a decline near the newlease we had in Warren County. I swear there was a hunter shooting every day in ever direction every 5 minutes. Peace out Warren County.

GSPEED

Any reading here who have skipped a year(s) hunting or buying a license what caused it?? Or have you stopped altogether, what caused it ?
Didn’t hunt last season and probably won’t this year after 40 years because of lack of success. Too many days setting in a tree stand watching trees grow. Still get out and walk around on national forest but haven’t seen anything to make me want to go. I can see that most on here are still having success and I hope that continues but that’s not the case everywhere. Most guys that I grew up with and were in hunting clubs with over the years have give it up also. Juice ain’t worth the squeeze.

jmac7469

Never fully skipped but didn't hunt like I usually do this past season. When we lost our place a few years back,it hurt. Only have a few small tracts to hunt right now, and some public land of course. Moved a little way from home for a work project. It's about a 6 hour drive to the gate now vs the 30 minutes it was my entire life. All that's gonna change real soon though I do believe. Hopefully in may I'll be back towards the house.

rugerfan

I skipped 6 years total in the 20 years that I have lived here. I have hunted since I was 12 years old. I did not hunt the 2000 deer season as it was my first year here as I didn't know where to hunt and I had a new job, new an apartment, a car payment. Then I skipped 2011 to 2016, due to divorce and other things that messed me up for a few years. Went hog hunting in 2017 and the fire was lit all over again. I killed 2 hogs and a doe in 2017, killed a small 5 point in 2018, and in 2019 I got a ten point and a doe.

Life gets in the way of hunting if you let it, it is hard to do sometimes. Those that do not hunt, do not see the importance of it. I don't get near the time to hunt than I would like, but responsibilities have to come first.

I will say this about this past year, the couple pieces of public land I hunted this past year, the 3 days of muzzleloader season I hunted, Saturday ( first day) Thursday and Friday ( last 2 days) I saw nobody in the woods, nobody even doing any scouting. First day of Rifle season it rained and other than 2 road hunters I saw no other sign of people. Sunday , the day I killed a 10 point, I saw nobody, I saw no other vehicles. The whole following week I hunted evenings, no sign of vehicles or any body else. Took off the following week and saw nobody for that entire week.

Then...... People started talking the "RUT" , and the first set of doe days came in. Then all of a sudden there were people , vehicles, campers and trash everywhere.

tgc

You have to go outside and all that kinda crap to deer hunt. Besides that like manual labor.

Stickers

Fewer people are taking up hunting. The more urban the population becomes, the less folks hunt.

Also, "trophy" hunting rules do not encourage young hunters. The rules on the lease I have hunted on the past four seasons changed this year to: wife and children may hunt, but deer killed come off the members allotment, bucks must be 15 inches wide or pay a fine. No exception for first buck.

Sounds like Big horn hunting club ?