Deer hunting decline

GSPEED

Was reading on the internet about declining deer harvest and declining hunters in the Midwest and northern states along with small game hunting. Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are about this in Georgia.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Man it seems like this comes up every year or at least every other year. This and supposedly not as many people are hunting. All I can tell you is I saw a lot of deer this deer season. A whole lot. I just finished looking at pics from one of my trail cams and I had so many deer on camera that I got disgusted because I was wanting some turkey pics.

Gator89

Fewer people are taking up hunting. The more urban the population becomes, the less folks hunt.

Also, "trophy" hunting rules do not encourage young hunters. The rules on the lease I have hunted on the past four seasons changed this year to: wife and children may hunt, but deer killed come off the members allotment, bucks must be 15 inches wide or pay a fine. No exception for first buck.

Gator89

Man it seems like this comes up every year or at least every other year. This and supposedly not as many people are hunting. All I can tell you is I saw a lot of deer this deer season. A whole lot. I just finished looking at pics from one of my trail cams and I had so many deer on camera that I got disgusted because I was wanting some turkey pics.

If less folks hunt, less deer will get killed by hunters. The deer population should be thriving and in most places it is.

I have a nephew that was crazy about hunting in school. He has not deer hunted in over ten years now. Nephew lives in Nebraska, father in law is a corn farmer, too.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
If less folks hunt, less deer will get killed by hunters. The deer population should be thriving and in most places it is.

I have a nephew that was crazy about hunting in school. He has not deer hunted in over ten years now. Nephew lives in Nebraska, father in law is a corn farmer, too.
Once again, all I can tell you is what I see and I see more people buying hunting related stuff when I’m at Wal Mart, or store that sells outdoor related stuff than I’ve seen in a while. When I’m buying mineral blocks, deer corn, etc at Tractor Supply there are folks there doing the same thing and half the time a lot of it is bought up. During deer season I see all the weekend warriors with their trailers loaded with four wheelers etc as thick as fleas on a dog. And the local deer processors here are all busy.

Big7

The Oracle
I'll just tell you about my personal situation.

Don't have any kids of my own. My "Significant Other" has two adult sons.
When we met, one was 10 and the other 5 years old. I took them in almost like my own. The oldest one was very interested in hunting and fishing. He killed his first deer at 13 with a bow. The other one never really got into hunting but he liked to fish. They both had plenty of opportunities to do both. And I taught them what they needed to know. Both have good jobs, fighting up the ladder. One is already into 6 figures, married with 2 small children. As bad as I hate to admit it, he's "whwhooped". He has a nice boat and camper. He has all the outdoor knowledge any man needs to know. His interests have changed since they had the children. So, there is that. Took out of the loop.

The youngest has a "decent" job. He has 2 kids, not married. His babymama' is a real piece of.... well, let's just say work. A true professional "scammer". His money between smoking weed and paying child support, is pretty much gone before he get's his check. He at least is teaching his 2 girls how to fish a little. They enjoy that right now. We will see. I don't expect them to stay with it long. They are really girlie girls.

I'll tell y'all a little about my 2 Nephews. My only heirs, in another post. Needless to say, I tried to teach them what they needed to know to be a MAN. To my dismay, their parent's think I'm a "radical" about politics, an "extremist" as far as dangerous hunting and fishing trips and so forth. Their father's idea of a sport is golf and watching WWE.

I can see first hand how and why we are seeing a decline in hunting and fishing. Especially hunting. I just SMH and try to recon why their parent's wouldn't let me teach them some things. SMH some more.?

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I don't see a reduction in Georgia, seems every woodlot is hunted (legally or not) and every lease is full. Hunters used to stop around Thanksgiving, but now it seems everyone hunts through the whole season.

Personally, a drop in numbers would not hurt my feelings. The fewer the better
Exactly. I would love it if it was true but that is the exact opposite of what I see.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
It's gonna be a sad day when the stacks of corn at the hardware store get higher, and the lease prices come down..:cry: Everyone will have to let the family and their cousins hunt under one membership.

GSPEED

What part of the state?

across the river

Was reading on the internet about declining deer harvest and declining hunters in the Midwest and northern states along with small game hunting. Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are about this in Georgia.

Everything is relative. If you look at the population of most midwestern states, the population growth over the last 20 years or so has been relatively flat or even declining in some cases. There has been a shift from rural areas to more urban areas across the country, so overall, less people as a percentage hunt now than they did 20 or 30 years ago. If there are the same number of people and the population stays the same or declines, the number of hunters go down. However, in both Georgia and Florida the population is up about 30% in the last twenty years. Even if the percentage of hunters is down, the overall number is up here because the overall population is up millions upon millions of people.

srb

Time are so different now....

I take my kids outdoors a lot!

When it’s time to go to the stand I take a camera now , Once upon time a model 70 featherweight 3006 was my choice...
I was gone so much from the time I was 9 till 32, Then wife and kids..
They do so much these days academics church school sports...
Everybody has a lot of different things on there plates now...