Deer hunting with a 30-30?

JBird227

GONetwork Member
If any of yall shoot a 30-30 for deer hunting, I was just wondering what kind of bullets you like to shoot.

Ol' Buckmaster

I haven't hunted with mine in about 15 years, but I always liked the 170 grain's over the 150's. The second from the right on my avatar was taken with a 170 gr power-point. To tell the truth it took me 3 of them. :shoot:

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
I have used one a few times

and used the 170g bullets also, it is an easy to carry gun in the thick stuff:)

Lostoutlaw

Shoot a 35

I shoot a 35 rem. with 200 grain no tracking requided :shoot: noe shot one kill

jeeptastic

Gone but not forgotten
I get the Remington 150 grain hollow points from Bass Pro. I don't care what anyone says, a 30-30 is plenty of gun to kill deer. :cool:

PWalls

jeeptastic said:
I get the Remington 150 grain hollow points from Bass Pro. I don't care what anyone says, a 30-30 is plenty of gun to kill deer. :cool:

Yep. Load the 150gr hollow point in the chamber and put some 150gr round nose in the magazine. Never have needed more than the 1 shot on a deer though.

JBird227

GONetwork Member
I was wondering if anybody shoots the winchester supreme power point plus. I have read where they shoot alot better than most other bullets. I have read they are good at longer distances.

bubbafowler

i shoot plain ole remington 150 gr out of my 30-30, and it works just fine. deer run less than 50 yrds every time with a good hit, and often times drop right there. it also shoots good out to about 150, but i never get a shot that long when i tote it anyways.--Bubba

rip18

I shoot Federal 125-gr hollowpoints. They are a flat-faced hollowpoint, especially for lever-actions, but would shoot in any 30-30. They are hard to find now, & were intended for varmints. They shoot a good bit flatter than 150 or 170 grain, & I haven't had a problem with a deer or hog. I only carry my 30-30 a few days a year, but it has killed a deer every year for the last 4 & several hogs.

H

HT2

30/30.........

I can speak for shootin' a 30/30.......

But, I shot a Marlin 35 for years as a teenager...........I shot 200 grain remington's and I put down a few deer with that gun......

I would imagine that a 30/30 has killed more deer than any other caliber.........The only other one close to it would probably be the 30/06.......

J.R.

I shoot remington cor-lokts 170 grain in my 30-30. It did its job on both of my deer.

J.R.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
150 grain Remingtons

Here are a few my little brother got with his 30/30 Marlin

118455.jpg

118450.JPG

One shot is all it took. :cheers:

bubbafowler

yea JR thats what i shoot, the corelocs, thanks man i couldnt thank of it, but I shoot the 150 grains. Dont have any particular rime or reason, and ive never tried anything else, but they seem to work great for my sister and I. She kills deer with it, and I do too, and as i said earlier, they even drop when shot. My biggest bodied deer, a big 7pt field dressing 175, dropped with one shot at 65 yards, so Ill continue shooting these.--bubba

JBird227

GONetwork Member
WOODIE13 said:
Here are a few my little brother got with his 30/30 Marlin

118455.jpg

118450.JPG

One shot is all it took. :cheers:
It might take your brother a while to beat that deer. Good lookin rack.

JBird227

GONetwork Member
I have killed deer with my 30-30 too, im shooting the 170 gr. winchesters. I have it set for 50 yards. I have shot it at 100 yards but it was about 4-6 inchs low. I was just wondering if there was anything better than that... I know the 30-30 isnt a long range gun. Im not that worried about it though, every place I hunt I dont really have a shot over 50-75 yards.

WOODIE13

He definitely had a streak going, every 5 years he was shooting a big buck. First pic, 3rd biggest in the state (WV) (if I am not mistaken, scored 162 B&C)
2nd pic, buck had 2 broken tines, 22" spread and score @ 150.
All he hunts with is the 30/30. I guess if it aint broke, don't fix it, but I will add he is as lucky as they come :banginghe .

Last edited:

JBird227

GONetwork Member
22" spread is something serious! Thats cool for a kid at that age to be able to shoot deer like that. I think if either of them came up on me I would pee my pants.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Remington 150gr Core Lokts.

They do a great job.

I have my Marlin 336 sighted in at 100yds. It throws 1/2" groups consistently.

I shot my first deer with it. A little 4pt at about 100yds. I popped him in the neck and he dropped like a sack of bricks. 150gr bullets are going to give you a little better grouping out to 100yds. I wouldn't shoot at a deer past 150yds however with them. I know a 30-30 can kill a deer out past 200yds, but the bullet really starts nose diving past 150yds.

Whenever I do hunt with my 30-30, It's a 50yd or less shot now. I was only shooting deer with mine back then past 100yds, because it was the only deer rifle I had!

Tommy

Last edited:

WOODIE13

JBird227 said:
22" spread is something serious! Thats cool for a kid at that age to be able to shoot deer like that. I think if either of them came up on me I would pee my pants.

Just don't ask me about TX :hammers: :banginghe