deer in range vs shot opportunites.

sb1010

Anybody have in guesses to how often do deer come within your range, but due to coming head on quartering foward, trees, etc. You never have a shot your comfortable with.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Had to pass on a nice 8 last year for that very reason....Never got a clean shot at 25 yards.

Happened dozens of times in my career.

It's just part of it.

Proud to say I don't take iffy shots, because I was raised to believe that you owe it to the animal to only take a shot if he gives you a good one.

Ihunt

Not sure how often but for me that’s what adds to the bow hunting. So much easier with a boom stick.

Years ago, a friend in Iowa had a 168” ten in range for about 45 minutes but could never get a shot off. He was running a doe all around his stand and every time he stopped he was in brush. His friend killed that deer a few weeks later in shotgun season.

flatsmaster

enough times that when u reach my age and have been bow only for 40 years u have very little hair left !!! and more infusion of adrenaline then the body requires bc those are the most stressful hunts

gawesw

I'm saying all the time. The best buck of my life was right under me but due to limbs, the way he was standing etc....I never got a shot. I was at full draw for what felt like forever. And I have replayed that scenario dozens of times in my head...in the end, I made the right call and am blessed that it happened.

Kris87

I can only recall having 1 or 2 bucks within range that I didn't get a shot on. Rare for me.

earlthegoat2

You’re already using a limited tool. It’s limited in not just range but also shot opportunities.

This is what you signed up for.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I wouldnt say alot. But it does happen. I had 2 deer earlier this year get by me. One following the other. Every time they stopped on the trail something was covering the vitals or enough of them. I didnt risk a shot.

Taco4x4

I believe same as you Railroader. That being said I chased a giant 10 on public for two years. Plenty of pics and had him in range four times but never that perfect clean shot so I kept waiting and moving stand locations. The buck vanished from my camera's and come to find out another hunter that I showed the pic to told me O yea I saw that buck and rainbowed one at him at 60 yards and hit him but never could find him. I was crushed. Since then I look at my opportunity's a little different. If you know your shooting ability and focus on where your arrow needs to inter the deer to get to the vitals he can be killed from many different angles.
The following year I'm hunting same public land had a nice 8 come in to my right so I had to turn to get a shot. The buck went from perfect broadside to walking straight away. I was 40 feet up a tree the buck was 20 yards straight away and I aimed at where I wanted the arrow to come out. I hit him just in front of his back legs by his spine and the broadhead took out one lung and the heart. He ran 30 yards. My entire arrow was inside the deer. Just saying if you know your ability's and think more about I need to shoot him here for it to come out there. Just think about it. Some my not agree but I have not lost a deer yet doing this.

ddd-shooter

I can only recall having 1 or 2 bucks within range that I didn't get a shot on. Rare for me.
Yeah I was gonna say a lot, but thinking on it, not many really.
I have had many in rifle range with no shot, obviously. And by rifle range I mean easy rifle shots, 75 or less.
But the way I set up, usually if they're in range I get a shot opportunity. And if I don't, it's usually because they're right under me somehow.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I recall a giant 8 in Iowa 9 yrs ago and a 160" 10 same area 3 yrs ago. My biggest ga deer one October the year before I killed him. Those are the ones I recall. I know there's been some does. And smaller bucks from my younger days. But those 3 stuck out and I don't recall any more that are memorable

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
What about the ones that I cant make my mind up to shoot and let em walk away while kicking myself??

Last edited:

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
My experience with big bucks is they just look different. When you see a true giant, you shouldn’t have to make up your mind!