Deer Meat Question

the Lackster

Yep, I wrap all my deer steaks in butcher paper. Some make it 2 years before we eat it. It is never freezer burned and tastes great.
The grade of the paper can have a pretty significant impact in the quality as well. 2 years with a good paper isn't a stretch at all.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
You can always add a little water/marinade to it in a freezer bag and squeeze the air out, does awesome, no to very little freezer burn, two years easy

I have a vacuum sealer and I'm not a fan

bighonkinjeep

Spend money on a vacum sealer if you want but wrapping it tightly with good old saran wrap so no air can get to it before wrapping it in freezer paper or putting it in a freezer bag does the same thing. Found this method from a good processor. I even do it when shopping meat on sale at the grocery store. Beef pork chicken. Just flip it foam side up and open it carefully pop it out of the foam tray and re wrap with the plastic wrap already on it label and all. That way you know the date and weight. Put it in a freezer bag and it will keep for a very long time indeed. No air no freezer burn.

camotoy

I’ve got another question-I got some venison from someone and it is in these packs. Some of the packs have a yellow tie and the others have a red one. I cooked one of each last night thinking it was sausage. I made and ate manwich with the red lied one, but I don’t think it was sausage, just grind! The other one also seemed to be just grind. I’d like to make jerky out of it, but not if it has fat in it. It was really good, fried up like pure grind with very little grease …….nothing was marked, just different colored ties. What say you?
View attachment 1198003View attachment 1198004
were I help camo bags are ground and white are sausage Cripple Creek deer processing best in mid ga !!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have never had an issue thawing and re-freezing meat in half a century. If meat was that dangerous, none of us would be here. Only recently have we even had refrigerators.
Btw, all this kind of stuff is good reason to process it yourself. People seem to think it’s hard and you need a bunch of space and equipment. It’s not, and you don’t.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
People seem to think it’s hard and you need a bunch of space and equipment. It’s not, and you don’t.
^those words^ would never come out of my mouth in front of my wife.. I'm always adding to the equipment list... :bounce:

Beagler

I have never had an issue thawing and re-freezing meat in half a century. If meat was that dangerous, none of us would be here. Only recently have we even had refrigerators.
Btw, all this kind of stuff is good reason to process it yourself. People seem to think it’s hard and you need a bunch of space and equipment. It’s not, and you don’t.
I’ve processed a many deer with just a hand meat saw, knife and a hand grinder, that’s all a person needs to get the job done.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve processed a many deer with just a hand meat saw, knife and a hand grinder, that’s all a person needs to get the job done.
Yep, and it’s very seldom you need the saw.
My entire processing equipment consists of a gambrel, cooler, kitchen counter, cutting board, fillet knife, hacksaw, grinder, meat hammer, and vac-sealer. I can do anything the processor can with that, and a lot of stuff that he won’t.

Beagler

Yep, and it’s very seldom you need the saw.
My entire processing equipment consists of a gambrel, cooler, kitchen counter, cutting board, fillet knife, hacksaw, grinder, meat hammer, and vac-sealer. I can do anything the processor can with that, and a lot of stuff that he won’t.
Yep your setting pretty, capable of doing whole beef. Plus uou get everything you can out of uour deer, processor cuts corners.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Time you pay a processor to do up 3 or 4 deer, you could have everything you need and you know it's YOURS.

Save on the gut fees too, never heard of such until this year on here.

madsam

this right here !!!