Deer Mystery

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
river swamp rat had this photo on his trail cam last week.

I printed it off and showed it to quite a few people and received many different ideas on exactly what we're looking at.

Some say Bird? --- Bat? --- Front Spoiler from a vehicle? --- Dried intestine?

It does appear to have another slash? high on it's hip as if it was in a collision with an auto?

Let's hear some ideas?

Attachments

• mox25.JPG
    mox25.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 643

Woody

Here is a zoomed pic. -- Don't seem to be any feather definition to the wing -- if it's a wing?

Attachments

• mox251.JPG
    mox251.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 644

Woody

Bat would be logical since there don't seem to be feathers.

I'm wondering could a Bat bend the outer part of his wing downward at that angle? :huh:

And would a Bat be that big -- or that color?

I don't know --- we got any Bat experts? :D

Timberman

Yep, its a bat.

No expert but I found a big ole momma bat one year in my backyard just sitting in the grass. When you got near she set to clicking her teeth something fierce. She had so many young hanging on her that it is my opinion she was too heavy to fly and just crashed in the yard when she left her roost. Unhurt as far as I could tell, that is until my dad came out to see what us younguns were foolin with. ;) It was big as that.

Mossy0ak270

Maybe she got injured somehow and laid down to help heal herself and got some kind of debris stuck or dried I should say to the wound? :huh:

DaddyPaul

No doubt about it, it's a bat and I am a self proclaimed bat expert! :huh: From the first pic I didn't have a clue, from the second pic it looks just like a bat to me. Pretty cool though that it caught it flying by like that.

biggabuck

Its a bat once everyone said bat i can see it now.And no its not beavers that did that to the trees its HOGS lots of them . Woody i think i sat by that tree right there she is beside is that where we hunted on the hog hunt?

Woody

Did you hunt Moxley's stand? (river swamp rat) -- That's were this was taken. -- Way back in the northeast corner.

Yep -- it's Hogs. -- They actually wear the bark slap off out trees.

Woody

O.k. ---- then this would be north of where they hunted.

Jeff Phillips

Woody - That's the Walkingshaw Vampire!

I figured you'd know that ::ke: ;)

It's a bat that is MUCH closer to the camera than the deer. COOL PIC RSR :clap:

6wheeler

It's a bat.

No expert but I found a big ole momma bat one year in my backyard just sitting in the grass. When you got near she set to clicking her teeth something fierce. She had so many young hanging on her that it is my opinion she was too heavy to fly and just crashed in the yard when she left her roost. Unhurt as far as I could tell, that is until my dad came out to see what us younguns were foolin with. It was big as that.

The thing about bats is they can not take off from the ground. They have to climb up onto a tree or something similar and then drop to take off.

Really cool how that one was caught on camera.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
You sure that aint a GA variation of the flying fox? :rofl:

Cool pic

Timberman

The thing about bats is they can not take off from the ground. They have to climb up onto a tree or something similar and then drop to take off.

Thanks for finally solving the riddle for me. :cheers: I did preface with the no expert disclaimer.... :flag:

huntfish

Bat

I did my thesis on bats in Texas and it is not actually a wing, it's a hand. It is a bat and I believe it is an Eastern Red Bat, Lasiurus borealis to be specific.

And yes, bats CAN fly off the ground it's just not the prefered way. If fact, the vampire bat, Desmodus sp., actually uses it's thumb to propel itself into flight. Pretty cool to watch. If you want to know more about bats, here's a great link to Bat Conservation, www.batcon.org

rip18

I partially agree with Coondog - it IS a bat.

Based on the size & coloration, I would guess either a red bat (Lasiurus borealis) or a big brown bat (Eptesicus fuscus). The large ears make me want to say big brown bat, but not enough detail to say for sure whether it is one of my two possibles or not.

NEAT PICTURE. Tell RSR to zoom in more next time... :bounce: