Deer Mystery

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
thought the bat was much closer to the camera......

making it seem much bigger than it really is..............probably right, not a Myotis................don't think it's a Lasiurus, though..................worked for 4 years on Plecotus (Big Ears) in WVA .................that's how I found my huntin spots up there.lol :cheers: :D :D

JBowers

Very Cool Picture! Thanks for sharing.

It is clearly a bat. It is probably one of three species: Big Brown Bat, Eastern Red Bat, or Hoary Bat. I believe it is more than likely either a Big Brown or a Eastern Red, and based on the size and color as determined from the first picture probably a Big Brown. The Eastern Red usually has a distinct color difference between the body and head, which is not evidenced in the first picture. The Big Brown is shiny brown in color with a light-colored underbelly, which is prominently evident in the picture. Thius along with the larger head and body suggests to me that it is a Big Brown Bat. However, I am no bat expert and just one with general knowledge!

Here is a picture: http://wildwnc.org/af/images/bigbrownbat1.jpg

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

NICK T.........as the joker........and rpaul as the riddler............who's catwoman???.........GOTTA BE SANDRA!! :cheers: :D :D

E

Etter1

My guess would be seminole bat.....maybe? :huh:

Last edited:

PFDR1

Vampire Bat

Probably picking those Big Blood filled TICKS off that deer. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Horatio

Bats can bend their wings in a downward projection, actually most bats use their wings for terrestrial locomotion. That is definately a picture of a bat. I love it.

CPiper

It dont look like no bat to me, where is the 2nd wing, I see 1 wing and the shadow it casts - looks like a liver to me.
Either way, interesting and neat, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Beehaw

After looking at the zoom photo it is clear that it is a squirrel riding a bat. What are the odds of getting that on film? Judging by his size, I would say it is a flying squirrel. Perhaps he is wounded, and the bat is helping him out during rehab?

Before I get blasted with explanations...I am joking.