Deer salt

Jimmypop

I usually put out a couple of salt blocks for the deer because ruminates benefit from it. Others may also.

Attachments

• IMG_20200708_094542559.jpg
    IMG_20200708_094542559.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 89

whitter

BANNED
The use of salt blocks is great, There seems to be a degree of controversy over strait salt blocks vs mineral blocks. some so called experts recommend the mineral blocks over the solid white blocks. Taken from one of the internet blogs.

"Most hunters use mineral blocks to manage herds on private land. They definitely round out a food plot. If a herd can find food, treats and nutrients all in one spot, they’re likely to come back repeatedly. Hunters can place trail cameras near mineral blocks to watch their herd’s habits and see where they go most.
Mineral blocks also keep the herd healthy. The nutrients keep the animals strong, help the does get pregnant and give birth to healthy fawns, and get the bucks ready for the rut. Most importantly, they promote big, beautiful antlers.
Some mineral blocks have strong attractant properties, so you can theoretically use them on public land if it’s allowed, maybe even for single-day hunts. This is not really their primary purpose, though."

furtaker

Look at the content label on a trace mineral salt block and they are 96-99% salt. That 1-4% of copper, magnesium, and zinc does absolutely nothing for health or antlers. They sure are good for trail cameras and 6ft dug out craters in the ground though.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Look at the content label on a trace mineral salt block and they are 96-99% salt. That 1-4% of copper, magnesium, and zinc does absolutely nothing for health or antlers. They sure are good for trail cameras and 6ft dug out craters in the ground though.

I think those low percentage nutrients are essential for good health in most mammals.

furtaker

I think those low percentage nutrients are essential for good health in most mammals.
I don't know but it sure doesn't sound like much to me. And when a deer stands there for a few minutes licking the block or the ground, they can't be getting much. I think the salt is the primary attractant.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Ask your doctor about those trace minerals. We need them just like the 4 legged mammals.

rosewood

Just picked up 3 of the brown/red ones from TSC today. One goes in back yard, other 2 will replace the ones I put out last year at the hunting property. Deer went through them fast last year for some reason. They seem to hit them most this time of year too.

Rosewood