Deer tallow soap?

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Anyone ever made it or tried to make it? My wife and I are canning some deer bone broth we made and have a bit of fat left over. Interweb says candles and soap can be made with the fat. We were thinking of giving it a try.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I'm thinking someone on this forum used to make it. Might try a search.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Art Mom made some back 12 years or so ago. She had better results with the fat around the kidneys, I think.

fireman32

This and a bit more I’ve already rendered makes a half gallon.2554C554-CF0B-4E1C-A9DB-A46FA4D069D6.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never made soap from deer fat, but it would probably work. We've made it from bear fat, pork fat, and beef fat. My grandma always had an ash hopper in the backyard to drip lye for soapmaking.

earlthegoat2

I think Brobee223 on YT has a video on it.

It’s a pretty long and labor intensive process if I remember correctly.

Big7

The Oracle
Never made soap from deer fat, but it would probably work. We've made it from bear fat, pork fat, and beef fat. My grandma always had an ash hopper in the backyard to drip lye for soapmaking.
My Grand and Great Grand did to but I ain't got a clue how to make it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Tyler Durden made it work with fat from the liposuction clinic. :bounce:

fireman32

I've made chapstick from deer tallow and my wife makes all kinds of lotions with it that everyone loves.
Thats interesting, I read about chapstick and candles made from it. I’ll have to check out the lotion option.
@antharper, couldn’t stand the wait so we washed our hands with it this afternoon. Good suds and it washed gun powder residue off after we finished cleaning our rifles.

fireman32

I’ll add that it took a little less than 4 hours total from rendering the fat to putting it in the mold. Roughly a half gallon of product. This first batch was not even close to cost efficient, but there are several things I won’t have to buy next time.
I’m not a homesteader, but do enjoy trying to use as much of the deer as possible. It’s also nice to learn one more self sufficient thing every chance you get.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thats interesting, I read about chapstick and candles made from it. I’ll have to check out the lotion option.
@antharper, couldn’t stand the wait so we washed our hands with it this afternoon. Good suds and it washed gun powder residue off after we finished cleaning our rifles.
I know that my mom's homemade lye soap will get stains out of laundry that nothing else would. I still have about two bars of it that I hoard, since she hasn't been able to make it for several years now.