Deer tracking dogs

GA Puma

Has anyone here had to call and use a local tracking dog/team? If so how much did you compensate them for their assistance?

If they're are any members on here that provide these types of services please weigh in.

Dupree

I used one a couple times for myself, my son, or friends. He doesn’t charge but accepts donations. I always hand him at least $100.

dang

DANG !!!
Same, I’ve done it twice. $100 first time, second I gave a bit more

Blackston

The guy I used was 100 to show up 100 hundred more if he puts him on tailgate....... I Only had to pay him 100 that deer still haunts me 233423A1-9AD5-47B2-9A13-419ED7810AB4.jpeg

buckpasser

The one in my area used to just say “give me what you think”. I’m sure he got a few too many $10-$40 donations. Now he says, “I charge $100 to come out.” I think if he turns a lost deer into a found deer and you have, say $200, give the man $200.

stonecreek

When I was tracking regular I would charge $100 trip fee $100 recovery fee within the county and a dollar for every mile outside the county. My age and other commitments limit my tracks local the last 2 years. I will say that Georgia blood trailers are some of the best in this country and make a lot of recovery’s every year. The best advise I can give someone who is going to call a tracker. Is give the deer time to expire before starting your own attempt. Mark the start of the blood trail. Avoid contaminating the track prior to dogs arriving. Listen to the handler because there are many that have recovered 100s of deer. They know what there doing. Know your property lines and explain that to the handler. Know your neighbors and make arrangements for the dog to cross the property line. And not every deer shot is a dead deer. It’s not the dogs fault when a marginal shot has been made.

watermedic

Good information here so far.

As a tracker, I drive a LOT of miles from September to January. I have had dogs killed by deer, snake bit, run over by a car while tracking, wounded by deer, cut by fences, glass, etc.

By the time the season is over I can probably fill a gallon bucket with the batteries I have used.

Tracking is tough on equipment, dogs and people.

I still tell folks to pay what they feel it is worth to them. My do not call back list is surprisingly short after doing this as long as I have. But there are a few that have made it.

Most people that hunt know when a person is legit within a few minutes of a dog working a track. There are a few folks out there that ride around with biscuit hounds with claims of grandeur, but not many. They usually only get calls when we are backed up 6 calls and the phone is still ringing.

It isn't for everyone. But I absolutely love it!

My bloodhound is available if anyone needs help.

She’s still young and needs more experience, but she keys in on the scent very well.

She’s also a morel hunting dog.

Attachments

• 506B7695-8969-4753-B2B0-3AA7C902B2D4.jpeg
    506B7695-8969-4753-B2B0-3AA7C902B2D4.jpeg
    755.1 KB · Views: 27
  • FC8B5954-2BD3-4F4D-9136-FE9A9B47A055.jpeg
    FC8B5954-2BD3-4F4D-9136-FE9A9B47A055.jpeg
    332.9 KB · Views: 27

watermedic

Most of us have been burned a time or three...

That being said, I still have faith that (most) are good people. I have driven 60 miles to track for people and was given $20 for my time. Time? An hour there, an hour back, 10 MPG in the truck. The list goes on as far as expenses. I don't argue over it, they just get a special symbol next to their number so I know the next time that they call.

Bud Man

I have had two successful retrievals with tracking dogs used on the list, and I got burnt about a week ago. A trackor said he would be over in 10 minutes and was only 4 miles away iand an hour and 15 minutes later, a kid shows up with his dog that has never done it before. It's a long story but I wouldn't want this kid at my house unattended and looking around at the stuff that I had if you get my drift. I believe if the owner of the dog had have come he would understand how to read him and we would have had a lot better experience. In the end , I found the deer 24 hours later 180 yards from where I lost blood before I called the dog.
Last year I called a different person who was unavailable this past weekend, and they did everything they said they would do and found the deer 60 yards away, and didn't ask for a dime, and they were compensated more than what I have ever seen for an asking price. I was very grateful for their services, and they did exactly what they said, they showed up on time with their dogs, tracked the deer, asked for nothing and were very well compensated , I would highly recommend them if somebody needed a pm . I highly respect the people that put the time and the effort into training a dog that can track a deer whether it be blood trailing, individual deer scent tracking, or secretions of an injured deer, to those of you that are honest about it you are truly remarkable and so are your dogs Thank you for your services

Ugahunter2013

I have only used a tracking dog once. About 8 years ago i shot a nice 8pt with my 7mag from about 40 yards. Buck dropped and laid motionless for about 5 minutes then all of a sudden stood up and walked off like nothing happened. By the time i got my gun up and chambered a round he was already in some thick woods. I lost sight of him as he was walking away from me. For whatever reason, he did a 180 and presented me with a very small window for a neck shot. I took a free handed shot of about 100 yards. I will never forget, he bucked up on his hind legs like a horse and appeared to take off. I had a sinking feeling. I didn’t even go to the sight of the initial shot. I knew I hit him there, but thought i possible missed on 2nd shot.

I called a tracker the next county over and he showed up a few hours later as when i called he was in the middle of a very long track through a river swamp. When he got to me his dog (a pit) was absolutely exhausted. I thought to myself, this isn’t very good. We walked to where I told the handler the buck was originally and as we were talking the dog trotted off in the woods and started barking. The handler looked at me and said , “ well that didn’t take long, he found your buck”. We walked over and there he was mo more than 10 yards from where i shot him last. He was a really nice 130 class 8pt. The handler said i didnt owe him anything since he was literally only there for 10 min. Yes i would have found the deer If i had just walked down there, but i was playing it safe. I paid the man $150 i believe. I appreciated him coming out so quickly and If i ever needed him again.