denying parts of the bible

Is there any record in the bible of anyone calling God a liar? if so, what was the significance? I have a "Christian" friend that basically said God is a liar. he said he is a Christian yet does not believe the bible. can you be a heaven bound Christian while telling God that what He wrote in His bible, is not true? He believes most of the bible but goes to a church where they deny much of the bible, thus he thinks much of the bible is not true.

Not true as in the the Ark and flood, turning into a pillar of salt, Jonah, virgin birth, blowing on trumpets and have walls fall down, raising the dead or feeding a whole bunch of people w/ just about nothing?

Or something else?

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Is there any record in the bible of anyone calling God a liar? if so, what was the significance? I have a "Christian" friend that basically said God is a liar. he said he is a Christian yet does not believe the bible. can you be a heaven bound Christian while telling God that what He wrote in His bible, is not true? He believes most of the bible but goes to a church where they deny much of the bible, thus he thinks much of the bible is not true.

I don't think so.
I'd sure like to know about the church he associates with.

christianhunter

I don't know how anyone could deny any part of The Bible,and claim Salvation.There is one thing for sure,GOD'S word does not return void,not one jot or tittle.Only THE LORD knows "the heart" of a man though.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Re:

Has God been called a liar in scripture? You decide!

1 John 1:10
If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

1 John 5:10
Whoever believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself. Whoever does not believe God has made him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has borne concerning his Son.

Matthew 12:24
But when the Pharisees heard it, they said "It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this man casts out demons."

ted_BSR

He is either a liar, lunatic, or the Son of God. I belive He is the Son of God.

F14Gunner

Numbers 23: 19
God is not a man, that he should lie: neither the son of man, that should repent: hath he said, and shall not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

TTom

I would guess that "telling God what he wrote was not true" is your interpretation and word choice for your friends position that Genesis is not to be read as literal all encompassing history.

How about making his position clear without changing his words to suit your personal bias against it?

TTom

Did he use the words "telling God that what He wrote in His bible, is not true" ?

Or as I suspect was it something a little more like

"We don't buy the literal interpretation of Genesis as history."

What makes me think you changed them? Oh just call it years of seeing people change other folks words to suit their point. Lets just call it the tellephone game factor.

I assume with every step removed I am from the person's actual statement that bias and inaccuracy has crept in, just the way it does when you play the telephone game.

Did he use the words "telling God that what He wrote in His bible, is not true" ?

Why, yes he did.

Or as I suspect was it something a little more like

"We don't buy the literal interpretation of Genesis as history."

Jesus believed in Genesis as literal as he did Jonah and the whale. if Jesus believes it as literal, shouldn't we?

What makes me think you changed them? Oh just call it years of seeing people change other folks words to suit their point. Lets just call it the tellephone game factor.

I assume with every step removed I am from the person's actual statement that bias and inaccuracy has crept in, just the way it does when you play the telephone game.

It appears you neither believe in the literal interpretation of Genesis thus why you seem offended. It was not my intent to offend but to inquire. Always asking, always searching.

Madman

Are you saying your bias about the Bible having "Too many revisions, books added, subtracted, considered, and then if not accepted sometimes burned" comes from a childrens game or do you have factual documentation?

TTom

I'm not offended but you are right about me not buying the literal interpretation (actually not even a christian anymore).

I simply find your position of him choosing those words very tough to buy. I can't say he didn't since I was not there, I can only voice my doubt. It doesn't ring true based on my years of hearing people express doubt as to the literal interpretation of parts of The Bible.

Gabassmaster

This just proves there are not near as many people saved as you think there are...i believe that when the church is raptured out of this world it will not even make a ripple...now a lot of people are saved and are going to heaven, i am one. most people cannot even tell you about when or where they got saved and why they did it. i for one hand can draw an x at the alter. You cannot prove that i am not saved that is between me and the lord. now your friend may or may not be saved, but if the bible says it i believe it. i dont understand how you could be truely saved and call god a liar...personal opinion.

I'm not offended but you are right about me not buying the literal interpretation (actually not even a christian anymore).

I simply find your position of him choosing those words very tough to buy. I can't say he didn't since I was not there, I can only voice my doubt. It doesn't ring true based on my years of hearing people express doubt as to the literal interpretation of parts of The Bible.

I appreciate your input, ttom.

apoint

If you dont believe Genesis creation then throw your bible away.
Romans 3:3,4 For what if some did not believe? Shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?
4 God forbid; yea, let God be true, but every man a liar, as it is written, That thou might be justified in thy sayings, and might overcome when thou art judged....................................................

TTom

Are you saying your bias about the Bible having "Too many revisions, books added, subtracted, considered, and then if not accepted sometimes burned" comes from a childrens game or do you have factual documentation?

Well lets see my documentation is as follows:

How many gosples were considered for inclussion in the new Testament?

The Gospel of the Hebrews didn't make the cut. Why?
The Gospel of Thomas didn't make the cut either, Why?
The Gospel of Peter same situation
The Gospel of Judas same
The Coptic Gospel of Egyptians same question

A council of men sat and determined that only the 4 Gospels Mathew, Mark, Luke and John were needed.

That is the proof that some books were chosen and other left out it's common knowledge history of your religion yet you seem not to know anything about it.

The Gnostic Bibles were burned and destroyed or simply left to rot because they conflicted with the mainstream roman catholic at the time churches views.

Any simple google will lead you to documentation of this historic fact and the fact that a Gnostic bible scroll set was recovered by archeologists recently and yet these gospels were not included in the Roman Catholic Bible.

The Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, Coptic Orthodox, Roman Catholic and Protestant versions of the New Testament are all different, some include books that others do not.

How much more proof do you need Madman or is this enough.

TTom

And Fritz sorry for the Hijack, Madman asked I answered and if we need to continue Madman I propose that we make a separate thread somewhere.