Did Christ fulfill the Law with love?

Artfuldodger

Reading some scriptures that makes it appear that the Law requirements were fulfilled by a Love requirement.

Galatians 5:13-14
For you, brothers, were called to freedom; but do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh. Rather, serve one another in love. 14The entire law is fulfilled in a single decree: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

Artfuldodger

Galatians 6:2
Carry one another's burdens; in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Matthew 7:12
In everything, then, do to others as you would have them do to you. For this is the essence of the Law and the prophets.

Artfuldodger

When I first started really reading Paul's letters 10 years ago, I didn't like him. I actually thought he was a false profit. Something about him didn't jive. He was too honest, talking as a man one minute and a prophet the next. Trying to convince me that this whole salvation thing was based on grace? Who was he kidding? That I had to quit believing that I could do great works and just let the Christ live in me. That it's all from God? I have to surrender all and just let Christ perform through me?

That the Law and the prophets had been fulfilled by me loving my neighbor? That Christ fulfilled the Law with Love?

Israel

BANNED
When I first started really reading Paul's letters 10 years ago, I didn't like him. I actually thought he was a false profit. Something about him didn't jive. He was too honest, talking as a man one minute and a prophet the next. Trying to convince me that this whole salvation thing was based on grace? Who was he kidding? That I had to quit believing that I could do great works and just let the Christ live in me. That it's all from God? I have to surrender all and just let Christ perform through me?

That the Law and the prophets had been fulfilled by me loving my neighbor? That Christ fulfilled the Law with Love?

and the second is like unto it.

Are they not so "linked'?

It's far too wonderful this way of God, isn't it? How to take a man of dust and make him fit for...what? What does Jesus say? Who can apprehend it? For relationship? Yes. For communion? Yes! For home...of Jesus' own home? Yes! All already too wonderful!

But what does Jesus say that is too wonderful, that were it not for Jesus's having said it, none of us dare consider it...dare mention, repeat or "quote" in any way?

There are breathtaking clues no doubt. They are there as gems (O! Thank God for you who is caused to be used to my reminding!) Thanks be to God for a Friday morning in which just putting power to this strange box is now altogether made new...and now delightfully unique. (Oh, upon rising my first thinking was "forgot to put the trash out last night, better get it down the driveway quick before they come...after all it is another "Friday") And to be honest, I was ready to settle for the "triumph" of beating that truck to the end of my driveway...it would be "enough" of a pleasant victory despite my previous forgetfulness.

But this? This? This provoking? What now pales as "triumph"? What shatters all my metrics of success...so wonderfully? As only He does, and can? Who alone can keep me from settling for what I think I know? Who alone can present what He knows...to all my unknowing, and not cause me to feel shame...but elation? Who?

No, no, no, no, no, "Can't buy a thrill"! Though I confess I have chased them, sought with my own resources (ha ha ha!) to make a trade! Oh foolish, foolish man!

The hardest thing I have ever known, hardest in every sense, most firm, most unyielding, most true, most bone shakingly irresistible, and irreducible to parsing has been spoken...it's utter rightness exceeds any and all of my cleverness:

"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy mind, heart, soul, and strength."

My head has banged repeatedly against it, my feet made sore seeking to find its avenue. Were I able...to turn myself inside out, give out all within me to its service, every gut, breath, bone, sinew...be done!...every word ever spoken or that ever might be...

Oh! The wisdom of God! The perfection of His way, His plans. His works!

Commandment!

Love one another, as I have loved you..

Ahhh, but there a course is set! If there is to be any "doing" of the first part, there must first be a knowing of what appears as second. Cart and horse, horse and cart. True first things...first.

Is any not thrilled? Not thrilled by what we are directed to know...first? Has any found the end? Have any found the end of that thrill? What are we all being beckoned to know?

"as I have loved you..."

Is there a more pleasant avenue to discover?

ryanh487

Christ's sacrifice fulfilled the penalty of the law.

Christ's life, and the character of christ, is to keep the 10 commandment law of God, which existed in heaven before creation and will continue to exist for eternity. The 10 commandment law is the outline of the character of God, and is unchanging. The first four can be summarized as love the lord your God with all of your heart. The last 6 are summarized with love your neighbor as yourself. You cannot love God or your neighbor in the spirit of the law while breaking the letter of it.

The burden of the law is that it demands perfection or death. Christ took this burden on our behalf by being perfect and yet accepting the death we deserve. His spirit living in place of ours develops our character more and more like his. We cannot claim to love christ if we do not obey Christ. Obedience is not the cause of salvation, or a way to earn it, but instead is the natural result of living a life focused on loving the God who saved us and loving others to show them his character so that they can see his love as well.

1gr8bldr

When I first started really reading Paul's letters 10 years ago, I didn't like him. I actually thought he was a false profit. Something about him didn't jive.
What I always saw.... about Paul, that bothered me, is how he seemingly wanted to make sure everyone knew that he, he, was the originator. I'll explain. I used to fish, alot. Catfish, specifically. I perfected everything. Not because I read it, but because I tried everything to "prove" it. From the rod length, stiffness, line type, reel type, color of rod, hooks, baits, etc. Even though I knew what worked, I fished it all in a process of elimination until I knew the best way. I kept it secret. Eventually a guy was literlly following me around trying to figure out how I was doing it. One day he was so brave as to pull up and act as though he was talking, 20 feet from my boat. He was determined to see my bait. 1 rod went down. I just left it. Not willing to let him see my bait. He said, are you just going let that fish strip your line. After 4 minutes, another rod bent to the water. He could not believe I could just let that go. But I had caught so many, I did not need to get that thrill at the expense of giving away my secrets . Then the third rod went down. He somehow ended up in my boat, without invite, reeling a 50lbder in. Said he could not stand it any longer. Somehow, instead of me throwing him him the river, we became friends, and fished together for the next 2 years. I could not go without him, LOL, tried several times, but I think he had a tracker on me. We caught so many fish. But I was catching them long before. Once having caught over 40 fish in one night over 50 lbs, the largest 72lbs. I eventually got burned out and slacked off. He purchased a boat, built it almost exactly as I had custom built mine. He took all my proven techniques, my boat specifics and the locations that were my spots, some that were ours, and he started pimping out the river to anyone whom had $300 . He almost became famous due to the amount of big fish he caught and ability to put clients on big fish. His boat was copied by everybody that that he took fishing, which was a copy of my boat. He became known for all this. But it was my boat, my techniques, my equipment, etc. This always bothered me. Not just that now the river was full of boats just like mine, or someone always anchored in my spots even though they did not even know why it was a good spot, or did not understand the rod/line/hook concept, etc, etc, but the river changed. The fish evolved. they got harder to catch, and within 2 years the fish were down by 90%. Eventually the friend who had pimped out the river quit guiding, quit fishing, because he said there were none left. Back to the point. I was always bothered by the fact that everyone saw him as the pioneer of catching these fish. They saw him as having designed the ultimate river boat. They saw him as having rigged the ultimate boat to navigate the shallow rock infested river. Etc, etc, etc. But it was me, whom he copied, never knowing why one was better than the other, only knowing what he saw that worked well. Having a level on his boat... because I had one, not even knowing why. Again, you can probably tell that I am venting here. 1st time I have ever said it. But there it is. It bothered me that he took credit for all my hard work. Whether willingly or unwillingly, it bothered me. This I see in Paul. he, over and over again, in his writings, tries to make sure, that everone knows that it was he.... that originally brought this gospel. One could say that he is fighting false teaching that he assumes is creeping in, trying to go back to the original as a foundation. But... as I have read it over and over, I still see Paul's humanity written all over it. He did wish to own this. He did wish to make sure all knew of his cost, such as a beating. He wrote this way even to a church he had never visited. Paul, you were the preacher to the gentiles. You made sure no one forgot that. I don't look down on Paul for this. I don't state it as though I am disgusted with Paul. Only that I can see Paul was human. I can understand it. I don't expect that he was even aware of his human nature showing itself this way. So, LOL, now I have done exactly the same as Paul had done. Writing it down so someone will know, LOL, I was the original catfish master

Last edited:

Israel

BANNED
What I always saw.... about Paul, that bothered me, is how he seemingly wanted to make sure everyone knew that he, he, was the originator. I'll explain. I used to fish, alot. Catfish, specifically. I perfected everything. Not because I read it, but because I tried everything to "prove" it. From the rod length, stiffness, line type, reel type, color of rod, hooks, baits, etc. Even though I knew what worked, I fished it all in a process of elimination until I knew the best way. I kept it secret. Eventually a guy was literlly following me around trying to figure out how I was doing it. One day he was so brave as to pull up and act as though he was talking, 20 feet from my boat. He was determined to see my bait. 1 rod went down. I just left it. Not willing to let him see my bait. He said, are you just going let that fish strip your line. After 4 minutes, another rod bent to the water. He could not believe I could just let that go. But I had caught so many, I did not need to get that thrill at the expense of giving away my secrets . Then the third rod went down. He somehow ended up in my boat, without invite, reeling a 50lbder in. Said he could not stand it any longer. Somehow, instead of me throwing him him the river, we became friends, and fished together for the next 2 years. I could not go without him, LOL, tried several times, but I think he had a tracker on me. We caught so many fish. But I was catching them long before. Once having caught over 40 fish in one night over 50 lbs, the largest 72lbs. I eventually got burned out and slacked off. He purchased a boat, built it almost exactly as I had custom built mine. He took all my proven techniques, my boat specifics and the locations that were my spots, some that were ours, and he started pimping out the river to anyone whom had $300 . He almost became famous due to the amount of big fish he caught and ability to put clients on big fish. His boat was copied by everybody that that he took fishing, which was a copy of my boat. He became known for all this. But it was my boat, my techniques, my equipment, etc. This always bothered me. Not just that now the river was full of boats just like mine, or someone always anchored in my spots even though they did not even know why it was a good spot, or did not understand the rod/line/hook concept, etc, etc, but the river changed. The fish evolved. they got harder to catch, and within 2 years the fish were down by 90%. Eventually the friend who had pimped out the river quit guiding, quit fishing, because he said there were none left. Back to the point. I was always bothered by the fact that everyone saw him as the pioneer of catching these fish. They saw him as having designed the ultimate river boat. They saw him as having rigged the ultimate boat to navigate the shallow rock infested river. Etc, etc, etc. But it was me, whom he copied, never knowing why one was better than the other, only knowing what he saw that worked well. Having a level on his boat... because I had one, not even knowing why. Again, you can probably tell that I am venting here. 1st time I have ever said it. But there it is. It bothered me that he took credit for all my hard work. Whether willingly or unwillingly, it bothered me. This I see in Paul. he, over and over again, in his writings, tries to make sure, that everone knows that it was he.... that originally brought this gospel. One could say that he is fighting false teaching that he assumes is creeping in, trying to go back to the original as a foundation. But... as I have read it over and over, I still see Paul's humanity written all over it. He did wish to own this. He did wish to make sure all knew of his cost, such as a beating. He wrote this way even to a church he had never visited. Paul, you were the preacher to the gentiles. You made sure no one forgot that. I don't look down on Paul for this. I don't state it as though I am disgusted with Paul. Only that I can see Paul was human. I can understand it. I don't expect that he was even aware of his human nature showing itself this way. So, LOL, now I have done exactly the same as Paul had done. Writing it down so someone will know, LOL, I was the original catfish master
LOL, brother!

What a great post!

I think it may help (although it does not appear you need any in your appallingly beautiful frankness!) to recall what Paul wrote "near the end". I don't think anyone needs an archaeological degree or information to see this progression, this order...in order to determine "was this letter early or late?"

This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

What a thing! To look...and see, years and years of labors, years and years of resistance and sufferings, years and years that had even brought him to another place where he would protest to Timothy "I am an apostle! and lie NOT!" (emphasis mine) in reminder. The "great" apostle Paul! In danger of being overlooked! Regarded...(perhaps) false. As not a great "catfisher!"

But..."of whom I am chief". And chosen...why? Is it as men might think? "Paul was chosen because (God needed a lot of work done)?
We could fill in the blanks as we so choose...but if we believe Paul had any light at all...might it not be better to just believe his own testimony of what he had come to know?

Chosen so God could show His patience! Patience with me...so that patience could be worked in me, then through me...as hope to others who would believe! O! How Paul laughs at any and all misplaced accolades.

It has long been my conviction that apostles are chosen to that...the very embodiment of a truth that is to be comfort to all who would believe...known down to their bones..."This message I carry is not without this also...since God has demonstrated in me his ability to save through faith in Christ...even "one" such as me....have great hope!"

The pedestals we erect, or seek, or think may even be there to be coveted...the apostles knew better. No, I am given this gospel for no other reason that I may learn of salvation in its carrying. "Go and preach the gospel" is not an assignment of burden...it's the way one begins to learn it. It is the gift...in the gift.

Somehow, somewhere "along the line" I am convinced each preacher learns. "I was not sent because I know it so well..." I was sent, precisely..."because I didn't know it at all!"

What a far cry from seeing Paul as "Hey, I am the guy with all the answers and insights" to "Hey, no one has ever needed this more than me!"

And God "sent" you/Paul/me/ any and all who would in hope carry this "good news"...so I could learn and be an example...of just how patient He is with what is His. Did we get tricked? God forbid! We got schooled! By the most patient head master in all discipline! And...school is (as all things in His authority from neutrinos to universes) only out at His command.

Artfuldodger

Maybe that's why I came to love Paul. He seems so human. Sometimes questioning himself, bragging as you say, wondering, doubting, etc.

Artfuldodger

Christ's sacrifice fulfilled the penalty of the law.

Christ's life, and the character of christ, is to keep the 10 commandment law of God, which existed in heaven before creation and will continue to exist for eternity. The 10 commandment law is the outline of the character of God, and is unchanging. The first four can be summarized as love the lord your God with all of your heart. The last 6 are summarized with love your neighbor as yourself. You cannot love God or your neighbor in the spirit of the law while breaking the letter of it.

The burden of the law is that it demands perfection or death. Christ took this burden on our behalf by being perfect and yet accepting the death we deserve. His spirit living in place of ours develops our character more and more like his. We cannot claim to love christ if we do not obey Christ. Obedience is not the cause of salvation, or a way to earn it, but instead is the natural result of living a life focused on loving the God who saved us and loving others to show them his character so that they can see his love as well.
With so many verses about being free from the law, it seems to be more than the penalty. Yet maybe being free from the penalty of the law is to be free from that law. The yoke of the law has been removed.

The way Paul explains it is since God's love removed the law by His son's blood, we have been free from the law if we love. Like maybe love through Christ fulfilled the law or the penalty of the law which is the same thing.

The Law's purpose was to lead us to Christ. Christ fulfilled the law with love. Now, we are to fulfill the Law of Christ, with love.

gordon 2

This is very interesting and shows to me how people can get so many differing and even opposite interpretations about the motivations of others. When I read Paul I don't find him selfish and I find him promoting a good aspect of human nature within the body of Christ.

Simply what I get from what some might think is Paul's boast, is that Paul is pointing people to correct authority of which he is one. But the authority Paul is promoting is the authority he has for being a apostle and also commissioned by the others to be an apostle to the gentiles.

Paul is first a apostle, or of the real deal. He is not a mere teacher, not a mere miracle worker though he is, he is not a mere evangelist though he is, he is not a mere prophet etc... Paul makes sure that everyone knows that the buck stops with him and only a few others very close to him. Paul is a man of authority besides being many other things as well. And the purpose of this is plain: Go to a church ( an assembly of saints and especially one that has just recently sprung up) were everyone thinks they are prophets and have a direct line to Jesus... and you'll appreciate Paul's humble boast... for the other boasters are not always thus-- and there is going to be trouble in River City.

Within the body Paul submits to authority, even though he is one, and so should others. It is not a boast--- it is a wholesome teaching.

Last edited:

ryanh487

With so many verses about being free from the law, it seems to be more than the penalty. Yet maybe being free from the penalty of the law is to be free from that law. The yoke of the law has been removed.

The way Paul explains it is since God's love removed the law by His son's blood, we have been free from the law if we love. Like maybe love through Christ fulfilled the law or the penalty of the law which is the same thing.

The Law's purpose was to lead us to Christ. Christ fulfilled the law with love. Now, we are to fulfill the Law of Christ, with love.

It is important to remember that there was a "law" and a "Law" in the OT.

the levitical law was written by Moses on a scroll and kept in a pouch on the side of the Ark of the Covenant. The 10 Commandment law was written by the finger of God on stone and kept inside the Ark.

The levitical law was a method of governing 2 million people with no king, and a forshadowing of the coming Messiah.

The Commandment Law is the permanent law of heaven.

Christ "fulfilled" the law, he did not abolish the law. He fulfilled it by keeping it, he himself said he did not come to take it away.

Without the law, there can be no such thing as sin, for sin is transgression of the law. If Christ abolished the law, he abolished sin, and we do not need him for salvation.

What Christ actually did was accept the punishment we deserve for falling short of the law. Sin is very much still real, and we are very much called to avoid it and pursue holiness and allow the holy spirit to inhabit us and transform our character to be more like Christ.

The Bible tells us that the law is "perfect" and "beautiful" and "gives us freedom". The 10 commandment law is not restrictive, but instructive. It tells us how we were created and designed to live. It's the manual for a happy life, there to guard us and protect us, not control us.

James 1:22-25 -
22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

James 2:17 -
17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

Romans 7:12 -

2 So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.

Among numerous other verses that would take me hours to list here.

Without the law, we have no need for Christ. Without the law, we have no knowledge of sin. The law is not what makes us dirty, the law is the mirror that shows us the dirt on our face, and the blood of Christ is what washes us clean.

1gr8bldr

Another thought on Paul... I see Christians refer to their past life's..... in sort of a way.... as if they are not embarrassed by it, but rather as if their is still some pride in it. No, I don't mean that. I can't find the words??? Example, I can't tell you how many I have heard that talked about how much alcohol they used to drink, as if they were the champion. Another talks about how much he used to fight, prideful that he could kick some butt. But Paul's go to of his past life, was that he persecuted the followers. He spoke of our past life's as "that which we are now ashamed of". I see it mentioned by Christians.... as if they are not really ashamed of it. A child molester would surely not say I used to be a child molester. He would truly be ashamed. But in Paul's case, it gave validation to his story, how he was once zealous for God. Saul, now Paul, for a time, honestly thought he was in God's will, doing God's will. This much different from the secular examples I gave. As we tell people about our conversion, were not all the same, nor degree of sinners. But, that's why Paul, was such a good example

Israel

BANNED
If I be not an apostle to others, doubtless I am to you...

The man wrote. He saw his field and worked in it with all the grace he saw in Jesus Christ. He is among the first, remains among the first, might even would be the very first to admit "not that I have already attained...or am already made perfect...but this one thing I do"

In one place he wrote of a fervent hope to attain to the resurrection from the dead in his pursuit to "know Him"...to be made conformable to Him. In another he wrote with a confidence "I know whom I have believed..." and "there is now a crown laid up for me...but NOT me only..." Receiving the confidence for the "thing" in which he once hoped. But in all, always leaving the ultimate disposition of such things to the Lord.

Learning much...about presumption. To not equate a "clear conscience" with his own innocence,; that he remained in the Lord's judgment...only made not "unbearable" now by his confidence in the work of Jesus Christ. But he would not make light of God's judgment, nor his work in those He has called. "Knowing the terror of the Lord, we persuade men." (In short...if this is the dreadful weight of God among the saved...I cannot bear to imagine what it will be like for those not His) He was in spirit, bearing the many marks, the faithful wounds of a friend...but wounds, nonetheless.

He dealt with matters of being thought weak and foolish among those to whom he had given himself to be broken up into pieces as bread...made small enough to not choke the weakest. For this he saw himself often ignored...or less preferred. He bore, and learned to...the seeming contradictions in these. He heard of others now preferred over himself by those he had been sent to and sought to establish.

I have little doubt how he learned the supreme safety of thinking himself nothing...when he bore that plaint before the Lord. Other men now fished his waters, which he had to learn were never his own waters...at all. But he would say in that learning with the confidence that rings down the centuries "be careful how you build...there's only one foundation". Stuff gets burned up. Right before your own eyes. One may be saved...in the cost of bearing watching all his works consumed.

Only the Lord has the authority to utter what appears paradox to our salvation. "Fear not"..and "be careful". A thing that needs caution of restraint and discipline while also being established to liberty. A thing that needs chastening to learn of its "non-bast*rdhood" in growth as sons. The bearing of what in all seems unpleasant...for the revelation of the One who holds all pleasure.

"His letters are weighty...but he, himself?" Not much there. How could children know? How would they...except in the patience that is now to be considered as salvation. It's a poor father who has to throw his weight around at every opportunity among his children. He can speak "goo goo, ga ga" when with them as to their delight in learning to speak...but when such has formed words and now says "our father acts weak like a child and is no longer a pleasure to us" he reminds them "I was made weak for your sakes...but be careful in the despising...for the One who has made me weak toward you, is not shamed if need be...to show what He is made of". For your sakes to sobriety.

Yeah. He was being made conformable. And when such as all the world and its so called glory was so heaped to right shame, of such utter worthlessness in all his own sight as to no longer have any hold and the balance was held...even in his own hand! and the weight of desire was all on the side of departing, no doubting...the One to whom he was being conformed reminded him..."you still have little ones in the world". And suddenly his balance was forced to recalculation.

And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

And he let patience...have her perfect work.