Did Jesus claim to be the messiah?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I'm headed out to shoot a new 450 Bushmaster upper and some handloads.
I'll catch up later on.
Now that sounds fun!!! Been shooting my 45-70 a good but.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
You mean the 3 ring circus of:
In the 1st ring we have Spotlite saying that his experiences and testimonies are proof.
In the 2nd ring we have Spotlite saying that other's experiences and testimonies are not proof.
And in the 3rd ring we have the "what if" Ringmaster where everything that can be imagined by a what if that is Pro his god is an excuse, but if the same "what if" is applied to another god then it is preposterous.
???
My evidence is just for me. I’ve always made that clear.

ambush80

Ambush - this is the 3 ring circus I was speaking of lol ?

It's not a circus. Bullet asked you why you don't consider other people's proof of their gods to be as valid as your proof of yours. You said:

1. I don't care to disprove their gods.
"Ok that affects me how? Just because they have a testimony (be it real or not) has zero affect on what I believe / disbelieve. Their proof / lack of proof isn’t “evidence” for or against me or them."

2. All believers in god might be wrong. .
"For the record, every religion except Buddhism and those where “you’re your own god” ultimately believe in one supreme being. How do you know that the one supreme being isn’t sitting there looking at all of us getting it wrong? If the Muslim looks unto God as Allah and I look unto God as God - big deal."

3. My testimony only proves my god to me.
"Take my testimony for what it means to you. I have no reason to justify it or analyze it against all other religions, atheism or the agnostic. It’s mine and mine alone."

That's a pretty good conversation. I think what Bullet wants you say is "My proof of my god is as good as their proof of their god". He probably wants you to recognize that both your "proofs" are equally suspect, meaning they are equally unprovable and completely subjective experiences.

That's my attempt to describe what's going on in your discussion. Tell me if I got it wrong.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
It's not a circus. Bullet asked you why you don't consider other people's proof of their gods to be as valid as your proof of yours. You said:

1. I don't care to disprove their gods.
"Ok that affects me how? Just because they have a testimony (be it real or not) has zero affect on what I believe / disbelieve. Their proof / lack of proof isn’t “evidence” for or against me or them."

2. All believers in god might be wrong. .
"For the record, every religion except Buddhism and those where “you’re your own god” ultimately believe in one supreme being. How do you know that the one supreme being isn’t sitting there looking at all of us getting it wrong? If the Muslim looks unto God as Allah and I look unto God as God - big deal."

3. My testimony only proves my god to me.
"Take my testimony for what it means to you. I have no reason to justify it or analyze it against all other religions, atheism or the agnostic. It’s mine and mine alone."

That's a pretty good conversation. I think what Bullet wants you say is "My proof of my god is as good as their proof of their god". He probably wants you to recognize that both your "proofs" are equally suspect, meaning they are equally unprovable and completely subjective experiences.

That's my attempt to describe what's going on in your discussion. Tell me if I got it wrong.
If it stops with just “why” but......
And I’ve never stated what I thought of others. I’ve made it clear more than once that it doesn’t affect what I believe or disbelieve. I’m not interested is saying their proof is as valid as mine. I’ve never went there.

ambush80

If it stops with just “why” but......
And I’ve never stated what I thought of others. I’ve made it clear more than once that it doesn’t affect what I believe or disbelieve. I’m not interested is saying their proof is as valid as mine. I’ve never went there.

Obviously you don't think their proof is as valid as yours because yours is real and theirs is not, even though you both use the same exact kind of subjective, personal experience to make that determination. It's OK to say it. I know it looks bad but that's how it works.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Obviously you don't think their proof is as valid as yours because yours is real and theirs is not, even though you both use the same exact kind of subjective, personal experience to make that determination. It's OK to say it. I know it looks bad but that's how it works.
That is it in a nutshell.
The gods/followers are all in the same boat.
The evidence for all is the same.
Either they are all equally true or they are all equally false.
Ignoring the others or pretending to ignore them just to avoid having to not sound hypocritical is bad sport.

Last edited:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Obviously???? Based on what??? You and bullet are somehow convinced that you know what I think.

I’ve made no such claims that your assumptions are addressing. Just because you took it one god / God further doesn’t mean I have to. I found something in the one that you didn’t. If I’m wrong, I’d be ok with that. But it’s consistently working just fine for me so I see, or have no reason to reconsider.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Ignoring the others or pretending to ignore them just to avoid having to not sound hypocritical is bad sport.
See this is what happens when you form an opinion based on assumptions that favor the way you think things are.
You’re missing the facts - I haven’t ever given my opinion about these “others” you bring up.
There’s nothing hypocritical in being obedient. The one I serve says not to have any other gods before him. So, I don’t entertain or assume any credit anywhere else.

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
See this is what happens when you form an opinion based on assumptions that favor the way you think things are.
You’re missing the facts - I haven’t ever given my opinion about these “others” you bring up.
There’s nothing hypocritical in being obedient. The one I serve says not to have any other gods before him. So, I don’t entertain or assume any credit anywhere else.
No need to have or put any other gods before yours. He obviously is saying there are other gods. (BUT in the religious history of the Hebrews they always had and worshipped other gods, then Yaweh said no more, he chose them, created them to be HIS people and they shall have no other gods before him...that is another lesson entirely...)
So you acknowledging other gods is just that. No need to worship them. Just acknowledge that there must be other gods that do work in other people's lives. IE: Their gods, not yours.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
No need to have or put any other gods before yours. He obviously is saying there are other gods. (BUT in the religious history of the Hebrews they always had and worshipped other gods, then Yaweh said no more, he chose them, created them to be HIS people and they shall have no other gods before him...that is another lesson entirely...)
So you acknowledging other gods is just that. No need to worship them. Just acknowledge that there must be other gods that do work in other people's lives. IE: Their gods, not yours.
Just to be clear - unless I know the absolute answer for sure, I don’t tell anyone what they did / didn’t experience.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Just to be clear - unless I know the absolute answer for sure, I don’t tell anyone what they did / didn’t experience.
You'll wise up sooner or later :)

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
You'll wise up sooner or later :)
Wisest thing a man can do is keep his thoughts to himself unless he does know what another man has or doesn’t ......unless he’s clear that he’s only sharing his opinion.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Wisest thing a man can do is keep his thoughts to himself unless he does know what another man has or doesn’t ......unless he’s clear that he’s only sharing his opinion.
* said on an internet forum

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
* said on an internet forum
Bullet, I’m not sure why you feel the need to paint pictures based on assumptions. THATS the 3 ring circus I spoke of.

1gr8bldr

I wonder why someone who has the most faith, or even Jesus himself does not heal an amputee.
Is something like that possible?
Discussion of these things is interesting, yet leave most of us believers as looking as though we have no credibility. For example, most here know that I believe the simple basic underlying truth is found within lots of NT embellishments, specifically thinking of the 4 gospels. However, approximately 100 years later, after Jesus death, based on Paul's comment that some of those jesus appeared to, the 500," are still living today..".. In this same writing, Paul is talking about spiritual gifts, all sorts, including healings. Speaking as if it was normal, speaking as if it were not that big of a deal. I would have thought that it would have gained quite the attention and specifics might be recorded. However, in our day, where are they? Expect that idiots will pull out 1 or 2 instances they call a modern day miracle, yet don't expect it to be a real miracle, like a paraplegic walking. They will go to the internet to find some source that they can use, yet 1, 2 or 5 hardly constitutes any proof considering the amount of Christians spread throughout the world. So, where does that leave me as I don't think Paul's writings are embellished like Matthew, for example. Have gifts been revoked? Does no one have the faith for it? Has everyone sought after the greater gift of Love? Was Paul's writings sincere? Was it Paul who wrote this? Did they expire? Are those with the gift unaware? Are those with the gift scared of it? That they could do it and remain humble? "A time when no man can work", is this what we see? I don't know where I stand on this? And I understand fully why an atheist would declare there is nothing to stand on. Frankly, I think this sort of conflict does more harm to promote the gospel than it does good. Is it a slippery slope to question? Of course not. As an apologetic of truth, I have to face these things head on, admit when i can't justify everything. Does it mean Jesus never died for my sins, NO. I just prefer to be real.... than to lose credibility

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Bullet, I’m not sure why you feel the need to paint pictures based on assumptions. THATS the 3 ring circus I spoke of.
That has nothing to do with being a circus.
You are telling me what a wise man does(keep it to himself) yet doing it where literally anyone with an internet connection can "hear" it.
It cracks me up....then again so does a circus....so pick whichever of the 3 rings you want.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
That has nothing to do with being a circus.
You are telling me what a wise man does(keep it to himself) yet doing it where literally anyone with an internet connection can "hear" it.
It cracks me up....then again so does a circus....so pick whichever of the 3 rings you want.
I keep what I think of others testimony to myself. I don’t paint a picture with it and make assumptions like below. I don’t try to answer those things I don’t have the absolute answer for but will give an opinion if asked. You don’t even know my answers or opinion about those others, yet assume this. I was asked to give my testimony and two of y’all ran on your assumptions of what y’all thought my answers would be about those “others”. That’s the circus show. You got your carts before the horse.

Last edited: